Good Ut Cougar

Antler1

I thought I would post some pics. and a quick story to liven things up around here.

Rob Harris the hunter called his wife and asked her to put him in for the sportsman hunts. Rob had already harvested a Cougar before so she wasn't going to put him in but then got the feeling she should so she put him in and he drew the tag.

Rob then called one of his hunting partners to see if he knew anyone with hounds in the southern area. He put him in contact with my nephew who said he would help out. On his first trip down they were on Lions but not able to tree anything. We kept hunting the next few weeks and treed a decent Tom. Excited about what we had found we made plans for Rob to come down the next weekend.

We met up with Rob and his wife met first thing Saturday morning and we started looking for tracks 45 minutes later I cut what looked like a good Tom track. We rounded up the troops and turned out. We had a long rugged hike and worked hard but we have to give most of the credit to the dogs they were awesome. I will let the pics tell the rest of the story.

The Cat ended up measuring 7-1/2 feet with a green score of just under 16". There is a good possibility it will make the books.
43ecd32e51266644.jpg

43ecd350515c739b.jpg

43ecd37c51ada249.jpg

43ecd3df523865b9.jpg

43ecd40752aa7ff9.jpg

43ecd42552ca4102.jpg

43ecd4495300983e.jpg

Ya that is a collar, they are doing a study on the unit he came from. My nephew talked to the Guy that collared the cat said he was collared in 2002 if I remember right.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-06 AT 12:33PM (MST)[p]Rob turned it in to the university that did the study. It would be cool to leave it on for the mount though.

Was there any hair rubbed off where the collar was? I'd be kindof hesitant to shoot a collared one if I wanted a nice mount... maybe its not a big deal though?

Just curious

-DallanC

mount it with the collar on it. if it's a 16" cat, it must be a real monster. seein' as how 16" was the world record for decades.

I think the record is 16-1/2 now. I imagine after the drying period this one will end up around 15-5/8.

Dallen, the collars are not tight enough to hurt the hide, at least on this one it was fine.

Thats great!

I always wanted to hunt cougars and never really even concidered one might have a collar and if that collar would damage the pelt from wear. Great to hear it doesnt bother things much :)

Great pictures btw, looks like alot of fun... and alot of work (I see the snowshoes in the background lol)

-DallanC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom