Goose Memorial

ramtagless

Just a heads up in case you would like to attend.

BEND, Ore. ? A memorial service is planned to mourn the 109 Canada geese euthanized to keep the birds from overrunning parks in an Oregon city.

The service will take place Thursday evening at the Galveston Bridge in Bend's Drake Park. An invitation to the event says those in attendance can offer prayers, play music or participate in moments of silence for the geese.

"I think a memorial like this will help people console each other," Bend resident Foster Fell told the Bend Bulletin newspaper. "I, myself, in the last few days have been nursing a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat."

The Bulletin reported that the birds were put in garbage-can-sized containers last week and gassed with carbon dioxide. The U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife approved that approach after local park officials spent months trying unsuccessfully to reduce the local goose population in other ways. Those methods included chasing the geese with dogs, shooting at them with paintball guns and putting oil on goose eggs to prevent them from hatching.

The biggest problem being caused by the geese: An unsightly mess of droppings left all over the grass in Bend parks. Officials said the city had to spend $22,000 cleaning up after the geese in 2009.

"I understand that Park & Recreation thought there were too many geese, but I'm struck that the crimes of the geese that got them executed was basically defecating on the grass at Drake Park," local writer Mary Sojourner told the Bulletin.

Bend Park & Recreation District Board Chairman Scott Wallace said it is unfortunate the parks can't support all the geese and acknowledged that killing the geese was controversial.

"While it wasn't put out on the ballot to who wants to vote for and against this plan, we heard loud and clear from the majority of people who gave input that we needed to do something," he told the Bulletin. "Clearly, there's people that are passionate on both sides of it. It's, again, unfortunate, but we haven't done this in a vacuum."

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-10 AT 12:39PM (MST)[p]That probably was not a tear in his eye or a lump in his throat, if so it was something from his boyfriend.

Better yet a box of 3 inch mags about a foot and half off the ground could easily knock out 5-7 geese per shot or more. what about shooting them in the head with a pellet gun? I know that works for a fact!!

LMAO, I do have to say I am impressed though that the state had the balls to do it!

The math says that they spent about $200 each, for cleanup last year. I know a hundred guys who would have just shot them for free!

No wonder this country is broke!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-10 AT 12:49PM (MST)[p]The areas above town we used to hunt are now no shooting zones. Makes it tough to thin them out.

Parks and Rec has been dealing with their crap for years. The 22K they spent in 2009 was cheap compared to some of the other alternatives they have tried.

My Sister in Law works for the Parks and Rec. We had some decent jokes going around last week.

The guy that gassed them had been cleaning their crap up for a while now and no hesitation killing the damn things.

You can get Goose meat down at the Community Center now......

They surely ain't gonna eat them are they?

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

RUT-ROW.....looks like I'm gonna be in trouble...

7562hpim1534.jpg

>They surely ain't gonna eat them
>are they?
>
>I love not acting my age,
>
>Damn I love my NASCAR race,
>
>And Hell yes I love my
>Truck!

Yep, free Goose meat.

"BEND, Ore. -- It was a time of mourning for a few dozen people who gathered at Bend's Drake Park Thursday evening for a memorial to honor 109 Canada geese that were euthanized last week.

Those in attendance expressed their feelings, observed a moment of silence for their surviving companions and families, and discussed ideas of how to prevent this from happening again.

Organizers arranged the memorial event with the intention of "bonding together to promote proven methods of non-lethal methods of goose control."

"Many of us were saddened and perplexed by this (action)," said organizer Foster Fell.

The Bend Metro Park and Rec District approved the euthanization of 109 geese by CO2 gas as a last-ditch effort to control the geese population in town. The meat has since been processed and will be distributed to local food banks.

The issue of how to control the geese population in Bend has been controversial for many years. The park district said it has tried at least 25 methods of hazing to get the geese to migrate, as well as "good round-ups" and relocation. Other steps included harassing the geese with dogs, and oiling the goose eggs to prevent their birth.

Apparently, none of them effective enough to curb the hundreds of geese who flock to the park, often fed by residents and visitors, despite the park district encouraging them not to do so. Their droppings have caused consternation, also raising health concerns.

But foes of the geese killings -- which has made news around the world, and drawn scorn from Canadians as unnecessary -- said a prettier, less messy park is no reason to kill the wildlife.

"I think how they dealt with the goose population is not based on sound science," said Marilyn Miller, event organizer and certified Naturalist. "This is not going to accomplish their objective."

"Our position is not that the parks should be 'geese-free'," said Ed Moore of Bend Park and Rec. "Our position has been all along that we're out to make the parks usable and have a carrying capacity of geese that is acceptable through (U.S. Fish and) Wildlife Services, and ODFW (the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife)."

Last year alone, Bend Park and Recreation spent $22,000 to clean goose waste in Bend parks.

"Bend Metro's program already had enormous success, to be a model for other communities," said Fell. "We feel they could have continued with some improvement and achieved a sustainable long-term plan while lowering costs, and control the goose population."

One organizer of the memorial said they'll be looking into the legality of euthanizing the geese, and might pursue a lawsuit, if they find the actions were illegal."

This country is going to hell fast.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom