Government Approves Wolf & Cougar Kill

BCBOY

Long Time Member
Here's a news tidbit I thought you guys might be interested in. What do you guys think? The Vancouver Island Marmot is almost extinct and the Island's Blacktail Populations are way down. The Island cougar populations are some of the most aggressive there is. Most attacks on people and pets that have happened in the last few years have happened on the Island.

Minister approves wolf, cougar kill to protect Island marmot
Hunters and trappers would be encouraged to cull predators near marmot colonies

By: Judith Lavoie
Victoria Times Colonist
Tuesday, February 04, 2003
http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?id=9de30b2c-9fdf-44af-b9c7-47cdab6c77b5

Vancouver Island wolves and cougars will be killed in an effort to save the endangered Vancouver Island marmot.

Water, Land and Air Protection Minister Joyce Murray said Monday she has approved staff recommendations to focus regular hunting and trapping of wolves and cougars in buffer zones around two marmot colonies.

"It will affect about five per cent of Vancouver Island where there will be a greater concentration of hunting and trapping," she said.

"We'll be working with hunters and trappers to encourage them to focus their efforts around the marmot colonies . . . . There will be no poisoning or helicopter hunt," she said.

Between 20 and 30 wolves and 15 to 20 cougars are expected to be killed this year in the marmot zones.

It is estimated there are between 150 and 250 wolves on Vancouver Island, down from 350 to 500 in the 1980s. The cougar population is believed to be between 300 and 400, down from 700 to 800 in the mid 1990s.

There are about 90 Island marmots, of which about 30 are living in the wild. The rest are in a captive breeding program.

The cuddly-looking, chocolate-brown marmots, which grow to the size of a large house cat, live in two mountain colonies on central Vancouver Island.

This year there are plans to reintroduce some of the captive- bred marmots into the wild.

But Doug Janz of the Vancouver Island Marmot Recovery Foundation has told the ministry a predator kill is essential because some wolves and cougars have developed a taste for marmot.

Predation is the major problem faced by the struggling marmot colonies, Murray said.

"We have an absolute responsibility to prevent the extinction of the marmots," she said.

"This is a good program where we can focus predator management on this area and reduce some of the (wolf) packs working around the marmot colonies."

The program will be assessed at the end of the year to see if it should continue, Murray said.

In the meantime, university researchers will be asked to look at non-lethal predator control strategies for the long term.

Ideas which need further study include fences with flagging, also sterilization and relocation, Murray said.

Chris Genovali, executive director of the Raincoast Conservation Society, said it is outrageous that Murray should choose to have predators killed when evidence supporting a cull is flimsy at best and there is little information about the Island's wolf and cougar populations.

"I think it is appalling that she has made this decision without even looking at our information. She is relying on recommendations from a ministry which is virulently anti-predator," Genovali said.

Last December, Murray turned down ministry recommendations for a cull of 30 per cent of the Island's wolves and cougars.

Staff recommended a cull to increase the dropping population of black-tailed deer.

Recruit these guys, they could run the Utah DWR or the SFW. We also have some culling going on in Arizona near transplanted Desert Bighorn Sheep. Trouble with all this is lions move and disperse too far. A study done on the Spider Ranch in central Arizona proved this. They closed the hunting for 5 years and monitored the population. When the season was opened the population took a dive for exactly one year. There were actually more lions during some of the hunting years due to dispersment of sub-adults into areas controlled by mature toms.

Take note, at times the controlling force is counter effective. I suppose when Utah kills some of the old mossback males that have been killing the sub-adults the sheep and deer population will suffer greater predation. :eek:

Ed

I too think that there is the possiblity that this could be counter productive if it was done in some areas, but I think I might just work on the Island. I'm just getting into cat hunting so I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that mature Toms do a good job on their own when it comes to population control. They will kill the Juveniles within their large territories. I've been told that part of the problem on the Island has to do with the fact that the cougar hunters have been shooting the mature Toms only. This then allows the Juveniles to divide up his territory. Some get the short end of the stick and have to take less desirable hunting grounds. That's where they become urban cats feasting on little Fluffy and Fiffy. And that's where you get the aggressive trait coming out. Fiffy doesn't take much effort, so why not stake out a schoolyard full of kids and give that a try too? So on the Island, if they start taking all the lions, instead of just the big Toms, it might get rid of the aggressiveness and allow all the sub-territories to go back to the way it should be, a big ol' Tom killing all the Juvies that get in his way.
As for trying to save a species like the Vancover Island Marmot, I don't know how many wolves and cats that would focus their diet on the little mouthful of meat. They obviously have other problems beside predation. But it should be interesting to see if they can get their populations to increase by decreasing predation. It might be a good model for other areas if it works.

I don't know about Vancouver but here in Utah our biggest problem is the people managing our lions and those making recomendations about lion management, collectively know as much about lions as a turnip.

The scary thing is the tree hugger groups are actually much more informed and knowledgable about lions, but who the hell is going to listen to them ya know? They're the enemy so to speak.

But at least you can hold an intelligent conversation with them about lions, their habits, their history, etc... You try to talk to the wildlife groups and they say, "Uh lions? I don't know anything about them except aren't they just great big bobcats that kill like 450,000 deer a year a piece? And we estimate there are 575,000 lions in Utah that kill 2.4 million fawns every spring. If we can just kill all of them this winter, next fall there will be large B&C mule deer eating shrubs in everyone's front yard. People will be shooting 6X6 mule deer along the side of I-15. Life will be grand. Soon 2 points will cease to exist and fawns will be born with 25" racks because there are no more lions."

That's what they know about lions. -Dawg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom