Gps

HuntinFoo

I want to get a new Garmin gps but dont know alot about the many different models. Which one do you guys recomend as the best all around unit. I would like to stay under the $300 range but will consider higher priced gps.

I'm sure they are outdated now but I really like the Etrex models...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Guys;

I have had many GPS units, and truly count on them.

The one I like the best, is the little Garmin, yellow,
and it costs around a $100.00.

Unless, you plan to map alaska, it will do fine, and most people I know, have one, and can't take the time to learn to use it.

Steve Cheuvront

i also like the $100.00 garmin. there is no need to
spend anymore money in my opinion.

i have the etrex vista, and agree with the others, i dont the extras on mine much at all. if i bought another it would be the $ 100 model, or even that new on from bushnell that basically only mark 2 points. your truck and camp. i dont use it but have it for emergencies.

I like the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. I have used several different ones in the past months and this is the one I am getting.

Dillon

I think there is a new one that interfaces with the new spot and you can send text messages with also. Anyone know anything about this? Delorme?

I am in the market for a new GPS as well. I want to be able upload and download maps, routs, waypoints etc., from and to my computer. I know Magellan and Garmin both make models that are capable of that but the mapping software that I have is the National Geographic rather than the Garmin. I was looking at the new models yesterday and some of them have phones and flashlights in them. Seems like overkill. Anyone have any thoughts?

I have the Garmin e-trex in camo so when I drop it in the woods I will never find it! LOL.

It works great and does all I ever need it to do and that is to use it as a safety net for my own internal compass. It would get me from where I am back to my marked waypoint. $100 is all you need to spend.

I just bought the garmin colorado 400t. Sounds like it is discontinued and they went to the touch screen. But the old style sound great for me and what I can spend. Sounds like it does alot and stores around 1000 way points? I've never had a GPS before but it sound like it does more than I can do. Even has a SD card slot to ad better maps. Got it on Amazon.com for about $280.00 with shipping

You posted this about two weeks too late. REI just had the 60CSX's on sale for $199, the sale ended on the last day of May.

Bob

Garmin 60CSx is a good one and on sale now at many retailers, reasonably priced.

Garmin Colorado also great. Garmin Oregon great if you want touch screen. These two are virtually the same except for the touch screen vs rocker wheel and minor size differences.

All depends on the features you want and how you intend to use it. The ones I mentioned all have great map uploads, topo, etc. but may have more features than you need if you only plan to use the simple mark and walk functions. These are great ones if you plan to get the most out of your GPS though.

LBR

I have had a couple different Garmins. A couple of years ago I had the etrex. Worked great as long as I wasn't in thick timber. I was on a 50 mile backpack trip in the Uinta Mountains and lost signal several times in thick cover. Another guy had the Garmin 60csx and had a good signal the entire time.

I bought the 60csx and love it. I download maps to it and have used it tons.I like to get several miles from the road when I can. It has extra features that I don't use, the thing has games on it. I never use the games.

I think I would evaluate what I needed it for. Back country trips vs. to and from camp or the parking area.

Garmin has a relatively new new one called the Oregon that comes in teh 450t, 500t and 550t (I think).

They're pretty sweet. They come with a touch screen. I've heard them described as a cross between a GPS and and Ipod touch. The come with topos already installed.

The 550t also has a cameral built in...one less thing I have to carry in my increasinly heavy daypack. :)

But they'e about $5 to $6 c-notes though.

GrizlyHunter

Evidently, Garmin must be discontinuing the 60csx. Different supply houses have been offering them on sale.

It has been my understanding that all Garmins have the same receiver system. It's just the "bells and whistles" are different.

Guys;

There has been many good remarks and Ideas on here, thanks to all.

I have taught many classes on how to operate your GPS, now before someone comes up with some what if question, just to stump me, save it for your class at school, please.

You must have a position in the GPS marked, BEFORE you leave camp or the vehicle.

Once in the field, you must establish a point of reference so the GPS knows where you are at , I call it a way point, maybe that is the wrong term, but to put it bluntly, the GPS has to know where you are at, to know where to go, to get to your truck, camp, etc.

For some reason, people don't get the where am I part of the whole system.

Tricks I use to keep from going to the truck location I had yesterday!

When I mark a way point, especially, truck, I do this

Example-- tk 03 am

What that means
tk = truck
03 = the days date
am = morning
in place of (am) you can use the following-
a = morning
n = noon
pm = evening

or knock truck down to v = vehicle, and then put the time

v03173 = vehicle, 3rd day of the month, 1730 or 5:30pm
v27210 = vehicle, 27th day of the month, 2100 or 9:pm
vo1830 = vehicle, 1st day of the month, 08:30 or 8:30 am

OR
you could errase the waypoints you no longer use.

An other very important point, is to set your GPS to the map you are using, ie, I use topo's and you need, for example, and I know it sometimes changes, but I set to NAD27conus

North American Datum contiental united states

I also use UTM, Universal Tranverse Mercado, probably screwed that up, but you got the idea.

Now, you CAN set your GPS to UTM, or Lat Long and go back and forth and NOT screw up anything, It's just a different language to the GPS.

I like UTM because it is very easy to place yourself on the topo map, just over and up , very simple, once you understand a few principals.

I would be glad to help any of you that need help, not to show off, but to help other sportsman like my self.

You guys on MM have helped me a bunch on many different subjects, let me give back a little, 12 years experence.

Steve Cheuvront

Thanks to all your help I heard alot of what I wanted to. I found a 60 CSX on sale for 200 and hoped it would get some good praise. So you guys helped me make my decision, I bought one, cant wait for it to get here so I can use it.

I have the 60 csx and it is an amazing unit. I also have the 24K map set. The 24K will auto route some mountain trails and desert trails. It has almost EVERY road in the desert I use. The 24K is a off road dream come true.
That map set will do anything city select will do in town as well. It will auto route you to way points, It will auto route to address or points of interest. I love this thing. When I drive I have it on. I hate driving in Boise Id but with the auto routing it is a snap. I liked it so much I decided to go ahead and get the whole USA street maps. The points of interest are WAY cool. If you want to eat at Joes bar and grill. Look it up and hit go to. Want to go to the mall, hit go to. Want to find a Boat dock hit go to. Want to go to a mountain peak at the end of a trail? hit go to. I recommend the 24K maps. Ron

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom