Grand Slam Winner is........................

kilowatt

Grand Slam Raffle Winner Announced
Nevada hunter awarded prize valued at $125,000!

BIRMINGHAM, AL ? AUGUST 1, 2006 ? On Tuesday, Grand Slam Club/Ovis (GSCO) announced David K. Haas of Las Vegas, NV as the winner in a raffle for the four North American sheep hunts that make up a Grand Slam. The raffle was held to celebrate GSCO?s 50th anniversary and to attract new members for the wild sheep and goat conservation organization.

Haas, an avid hunter, had been applying for state hunting tags for 14 years before finally drawing for a Desert sheep in 2004. "I had been thinking about joining GSCO for years," he said. "When I heard about this raffle, it seemed like the perfect time."

A Grand Slam is defined as one each of the four different North American wild sheep (Dall, Stone, Rocky Mountain or California bighorn, and Desert bighorn), all having been taken fair chase by an individual hunter. Considered one of the most prestigious milestones in the hunting world, these four hunts are valued at approximately $125,000 including travel expenses.

?I couldn't be happier for David Haas,? said Dennis Campbell, GSCO executive director. "I had hoped that it would be a new member and someone who would really appreciate winning the Grand Slam. David has hunted sheep before, so he knows what he's in for."

"We have secured these hunts with some of the top outfitters in the industry, so we know that David will have a very good chance of being successful on all four hunts," said Campbell.

When asked if he was ready to begin the hunts, Haas replied "Now I'll just have to get in shape, because I know how challenging these hunts will be."

Haas will begin his quest for a Grand Slam in September 2006 with a Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep hunt with Alberta, Canada?s legendary outfitter George Kelley. He will then travel to Mexico to hunt the Desert bighorn sheep with Nayo Balderrama?s Amigo?s Guides and Outfitters. The Dall sheep hunt will be in Canada?s Northwest Territories with David Dutchik and Redstone Trophy Hunts. And finally, Haas will hopefully complete his Grand Slam on a hunt for Stone sheep with Leif Olsen at the majestic Stone Mountain Lodge, the home base of Stone Mountain Safaris in British Columbia, Canada.

"Not only am I happy that I won, but I'm also happy for the organization," said Haas. "I hope the raffle raised a lot of funds and attracted many new members."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dall Sheep Hunt

Redstone Trophy Hunts
David Dutchik
P.O. Box 18
Pink Mountain, BC V0C 2B0
Canada

Phone/Fax: (250) 772-5992
Cell: (250) 261-9962
Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep Hunt

George Kelley Outfitters
George Kelley
Box 6135
Hinton, BC T7V 1X5
Canada

Phone: (780) 865-3295
Fax: (780) 865-3046

Stone Sheep Hunt

Stone Mountain Safaris
Leif Olsen
Box 7870
Toad River, BC V0C 2X0
Canada

Phone: (250) 232-5469
Fax: (250) 232-5801
Desert Bighorn
Sheep Hunt

Amigo's Guides and Outfitters
Nayo Balderrama
La Mesa #25 Col Santa Fe
Hermosillo, Sonora 83249
Mexico

Phone: 011-526622601006
Fax: 011-526622169991

ABOUT GSCO
Grand Slam Club/Ovis is a 501(C)(3) organization of hunter/conservationists dedicated to improving and perpetuating wild sheep and goat populations worldwide.

The purposes and objectives of Grand Slam Club/Ovis are to:
Continue to be the established documentation and records-keeping organization for legally-taken Grand Slams of North American wild mountain sheep, Ovis World Slams of wild sheep of the world, and Capra World Slams of wild goats of the world.

Encourage the use of legally issued permits, tags, and/or licenses for the hunting of wild mountain sheep and goats.

Inform and educate people of the world about wild mountain sheep and goats.

Use financial resources received from membership dues, donations, or fund-raising events to benefit, directly or indirectly, wild mountain sheep and goats by contributing these funds to/through established state, provincial, federal, or governmental game and wildlife agencies or other non-profit wildlife conservation organizations.
Visit our website at www.wildsheep.org

After reading Sandbrew's comments regarding the tax implications, I couldn't imagine what winning this would do a guy (tax bill of at least $37,500). I wonder if you could spread the tax burden over two years, just like the sheep hunts?

On a more positive note: Congrats to the winner! I hope he tags out on all four sheep!

According to my tax guy....You are only taxed in the year the hunt is taken.

If I could have pushed mine off until 2007 I would have had time to plan.

This guy also has the option of not taking any one or more of these hunts or donating a hunt(s) he does not take back to GSCO for a tax write off.

I still had a ticket in the bucket and would have dealt with that "problem" if I needed to.

Congrats to one lucky guy.

Sandbrew

I think it is a crime in the good ole' USA that you can't afford to win something. The IRS are Greedy bastardds.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

One lucky guy. I hope he gets his slam. One of these days I hope I get lucky enought to win one of those raffles. I've already won one, last year drawing a tag here in NV.

If the guy was successful on his 2004 Desert hunt in NV, he should "donate" the Desert hunt back to GSCO and get the tax write-off. That should cancel out the tax owed on the other 3 and he could still get his slam. That is what I'd do.

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom