Guidance on hunting pronghorn in Thunder Basin, WY

alsatian

I am planning a DIY pronghorn hunt in Wyoming next year. Our goals are modest: my partner would like a modest pronghorn buck (11", 12" horns); I will be happy with a doe and will probably apply for a doe/fawn permit. I have hunted pronghorn near Gillette, paying a small trespass fee to hunt on a small ranch in the past and took a doe. I think I ought to be able bypass the trespass fee and hunt on the public Thunder Basin national grassland. I am planning on avoiding the opening weekend and also to hunt during the middle of the week, to avoid excessive hunter pressure. We may go about middle October to further distance ourselves from the early season pressure. Do you have any advice for me about hunting Thunder Basin? I know that units 23 and 24 are pretty easily drawn by non-residents. Are these the appropriate units to apply for to hunt Thunder Basin? Should we look at different units from these? What is the best way to get into the grassland? I see two main roads pierce the grassland, but how do you access other portions of Thunderbasin? Do you get off the main roads and follow "two-tracks"?

If my plan is lame brained for some reason, I would like to know it. Worst case we could go ahead and hook up with a land owner and pay the trespass fee. That isn't a game stopper, but I feel like it would be more like hunting to go off on our own into the Thunder Basin.

Haven't hunted Thunder Basin in 20 years. Used to be lots of small bucks on the public ground. Lots of roads to get around on.Lots of area to hunt,but private around that most landowners don't post so be careful. Maybe contact the Newcastle chamber of commerce or maybe someone from Wright could give you info. Used to hunt around the Roushelle(sp?) hills.Good luck

No hunting idea is lame brained. But if I were you, I would try a really good unit with your first choice ( one in the red desert)and then load up your additional choices with units you can draw without preference points. There are always left over antelope tags in some units because they are mostly private, and that could also be a fall back plan. You can almost always draw your second choice if they are not great units. I don't know the area you are referring to.
I took my son to a left over unit near Casper several years ago and he killed a dandy 14" buck. We were certaily lucky to run onto him, but sometimes you get lucky.
For antelope, I have always gone early and scouted for a few days before the hunt opens. You can always locate some good antelope and then if you are on them at first light the first morning, you have an excellent chance of tagging out quickly. (That is my way of doing it) Going later can also work, but antelope start to herd up later on and then you have to deal with many more eyes on your stalk. Sometimes in October I have seen herds of 200 and I would rather take my chances earlier.
As I said, it is my preference.
Good luck

if your standards are set at a doe and a 11-12" buck. Pick any unit south west of casper head out on opening day to a piece of the overly abundent public land and you'll be done 20 min after day break. If your going to hunt the left over areas around casper you almost have to be there opening day or pay the fees to trespass.

"blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'donnell being fat."

I think there are always leftover tags available in 23. As of this year you can buy them over the Internet once the leftover period starts. After we tagged out this year we checked out a big walk in area in Unit 16. There were still leftover tags that you could buy over the counter. We spent about half a day driving around and hiked into a couple of areas back off the road to do some glassing. We found lots of does(antelope and muleys), but did not see a single buck. In talking to some of the locals later they said that the public areas get pounded early in the season. From what I have heard I think this scenario is pretty common in any of the units that are mostly private. Whatever small amount of public or walk in that is available gets a lot of pressure.

If you scout before the season opens and are on animals at first light of the opener, as was suggested earlier, I think you can be successful.

Just a suggestion, look into hunting in Northwest WY in the bighorn basin. Areas like 67, 75, 76, 83, 110, etc. aren't too bad to draw for a non-res especially on the special license. These areas have lots of public land and the fact that I work in many of the areas on a daily basis I can vouche that you should be able to find bucks in the mid 70" range without too much trouble. I've hunted several of them myself. Some you might need a couple points to be guranteed a draw, but I would definately look into that part of the state. Good quality antelope, less pressure, and lots of public land.

Wyo is exactly right. Pick one of the units he mentioned and go with the special draw. Some of the units he mentions can be drawn in the special draw with no pref point. and there are several other units in that area as well. Check the draw odds section of the WGF website then go on MYTOPO.com and check out the units. You can see the amount of public land thats available. Lots of public land and lots of goats. Hunt after the first 2 weeks of the season and you probably won't see another hunter. If you take your time a mid 70's 14 incher is very doable. Good luck. Chip

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom