Gun Question

RoadlessHunter

A friend has found a good deal for Savage arms guns at a good deal. What type of guns did they have problems with the barrel blowing up. Does anyone think that Savage guns are safe to shoot. What type of guns did they have problems with. What calibers were blowing up. Any help would be great.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-14 AT 01:38PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-14 AT 10:32?AM (MST)

The 300 RUM had problems. I am not a really a fan of Savage. I know they have been making improvements over the last few years. But its a little to late for me to ever want to hold one next to my head and pull the trigger.

I love mine, I shoot a 30-06 in it tho. I luckily was talked into buying a 6.5 x 55 sweede over the RUM thank geabus for that.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

Savage sells great guns.

Guns that just blow up are usually a USER ERROR.

Don't hesitate to buy a Savage. I'd change out the stock as soon as I got it though.

Ask this Guy what He thinks of Savage!

6597savage_pic.jpg

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

He was using a muzzleloader with smokeless powder. I have read up on this story Elk!

necessary.? John Adams

I would have to research the info, but as I recall, they had a problem with actions built in China blowing up and did a recall. And IIRC, they made the necessary changes and the problem has not resurfaced.

Accurate rifles, but I don't like the looks or the feel. I'm a Browning fan and love my X-bolts.

I like the price vs. quality of the rifle I have. The price was great new out of the box, and the quality is nice. It's not a pre 64 winchester but it sure has a nice value for the price. I have never shot the browning bolt actions but cycling a few bolts and darn I like them.

necessary.? John Adams

I am going from memory on the blowups. I recall that there was 3-4 that blew up. All in 300 RUM caliber and two or three of them were purchased from the same retail store. I remember that 2-3 of the shooters were claiming that they used factory ammo at time of blowup and one of the rifles blew after just a few rounds were fired.
It was reported that the faulty guns were ones made in china and I am guessing that it may have been a faulty heat treating of the metal or a very poor job of manufactoring that caused the problem. Savage was not very forward in giving out details as they probably knew they were going to be sued.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-14 AT 00:51AM (MST)[p]Savage no longer makes rifles chambered in 300Ultramag or 7mmUltramag.I geuss they learned their lesson.

I think i might not reload my ammo on the hot side, for any cartridge, if i owned one. Wait a minute, i'd never own one, no worries here but you guys, that have them, be careful.

Both Savage and Tikka are two very popular rifles. They have a reputation to shoot well right from the box and do so at a attractive price point, less than several bigger name competing rifle manufactures can sell theirs for.

I've shot both and have friends that really like theirs so it's a matter of opinion and preference because chances are that any new rifle isn't going to blow up. For me though, i can't get used to them, don't really appreciate their looks, and just don't need to go there.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>He was using a muzzleloader with
>smokeless powder. I have read
>up on this story Elk!
>
>
>?If men were angels, no government
>would be
>necessary.? John Adams

Ya You're Right!

Was a Savage though!

Once again the China Built TRASH Fails again!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-14
>AT 00:51?AM (MST)

>
>Savage no longer makes rifles chambered
>in 300Ultramag or 7mmUltramag.I geuss
>they learned their lesson.

If the Quality of their Metals will not Stand a 300 RUM Cartridge maybe they should just Quit making Guns altogether!

Sorry!

I'm not much of a 'Built in China' Type a Guy!

I have 3 stevens and 1 savage. 300 rum rebarreled to 338 edge, rebarreled one to 6mmbr, one rebarreled to 6.5x284, one factory 7mm08 . I am happy with all of them. you can buy a 300 odd dollar stevens and put a 300 to 400 better quality barrel yourself and outshoot alot of higher dollar rifles. the factory barrels shoot as good as most other factory rifles.
my 338 is pushing 300 grain bullets at 2811 fps, with 90 grains of powder, so strength of the action shouldn't be an issue.
dollar for dollar the savage rifles are good shooting rifles and all the guys that say they are not that good have no experience with them. but they can type........ ce61

>>LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-14
>>AT 00:51?AM (MST)

>>
>>Savage no longer makes rifles chambered
>>in 300Ultramag or 7mmUltramag.I geuss
>>they learned their lesson.
>
>If the Quality of their Metals
>will not Stand a 300
>RUM Cartridge maybe they should
>just Quit making Guns altogether!
>
>
>Sorry!
>
>I'm not much of a 'Built
>in China' Type a Guy!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="purple"]From My Smokin Cherry Red
>Hot Barrel & My Dead
>Cold Hands I Shall go
>down Fighting for American Pride
>& Rights!
>I Know I'm Out Numbered by
>Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll
>Throw Their Hands in the
>air & I know I
>can't Lick the U.S. Military
>by Myself when they Turn
>on us but I'll make
>
>you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a
>Situation where I Hope to
>Hell All Americans become True
>Americans once again & Stand
>up for their Rights!

[font color="pink"]
Boo hoooo I never get any tags. Sniffles sniffles, whine whine. Crying. Mine is bigger than yours. On and on.

[font color="green"]
^^^^^^^^^^^^
This guy is obnoxious!!!
What brand of guns was it that were going off when you shut the bolt???
Hey elkasshat do you always post pictures and not tell the whole story?
Savage is building some great rifles right now. The accugtrigger is sweet. I have a 6.5 creedmore that is a great little rifle.

Elkassasin,

I won't deny it was a savage that caused the mans hand to be mangled. I just wanted to point out it was on of their discontinued muzzleloaders.

necessary.? John Adams

>>>LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-14
>>>AT 00:51?AM (MST)

>>>
>>>Savage no longer makes rifles chambered
>>>in 300Ultramag or 7mmUltramag.I geuss
>>>they learned their lesson.
>>
>>If the Quality of their Metals
>>will not Stand a 300
>>RUM Cartridge maybe they should
>>just Quit making Guns altogether!
>>
>>
>>Sorry!
>>
>>I'm not much of a 'Built
>>in China' Type a Guy!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>[font color="purple"]From My Smokin Cherry Red
>>Hot Barrel & My Dead
>>Cold Hands I Shall go
>>down Fighting for American Pride
>>& Rights!
>>I Know I'm Out Numbered by
>>Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll
>>Throw Their Hands in the
>>air & I know I
>>can't Lick the U.S. Military
>>by Myself when they Turn
>>on us but I'll make
>>
>>you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a
>>Situation where I Hope to
>>Hell All Americans become True
>>Americans once again & Stand
>>up for their Rights!
>
>[font color="pink"]
>Boo hoooo I never get any
>tags. Sniffles sniffles, whine whine.
>Crying. Mine is bigger than
>yours. On and on.
>
>[font color="green"]
>^^^^^^^^^^^^
>This guy is obnoxious!!!
>What brand of guns was it
>that were going off when
>you shut the bolt???
>Hey elkasshat do you always post
>pictures and not tell the
>whole story?
>Savage is building some great rifles
>right now. The accugtrigger is
>sweet. I have a 6.5
>creedmore that is a great
>little rifle.

What I'm Sayin is:

If the POS Won't Handle Factory Loaded 300 RUM Ammunition without Blowin the Barrel off You Probably don't wanna Shoot any of REDDOGS Reloads through them Savage Rifles!

Like you said:

Savage is building 'some' great Rifles!

Rule # 1:

If the SOB is built in China more than F'N Likely it's JUNK!

You Think a China man cares rather they Blow somebodies Hand off?

I Know!

It's hard to find anything Not made in China!

I'd be more than Willing to pay a little Extra for a little better Quality!

Does Savage offer a 375 RUM?

How bout a 416?

Here Ya Go RAMBO:

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID5/21191.html#.U64bh01OV9A

If you base not buying anything that has china made parts the list gets pretty small. That said the Axis models made by savage seem to have to many plastic parts, but the regular savages are comparable to other name brand rifles.
A buddy of mine has a newer remington 700 with the stainless coating? is what I would call it and it sure is not that great looking and has corroded some. He isn't that impressed with the finish, but it shoots good.
Kinda reminds me of hearing about the new harleys having wheel bearing problems, guess where they got the bearings...No, japan is where they got the fork, but you're close. ce61

I like the older Stainless Remington's!

The Newer XCR II's are BUTT UGLY!

Don't care for their so called bullet Proof Coating!

Got some JUNK Remington Ammo as of Recent also!

I call them as they are!

No matter what Brand it is!

Remington has had many Quality Control issues recently,TOTAL BS!

Go over to the Marlin forum and see how those guys rate Remington's quality control after they bought out Marlin. Most of them will not buy a "Remlin" as they call them and will pay more bucks for a "JM" stamped used Marlin lever action over the new ones put out by Remington.

RELH

It's my understanding that it was the model 116 chambered in 300 RUM. I remember reading that in order for them to chamber the ultra mags they had to make the barrel diameter at the chamber a little larger than normal and then make the thickness of the barrel nut a little thinner to keep the same overall size at the barrel nut. This caused the barrel nut to crack and the rifle to develop headspace issues. The headspace issues were causing the rifles to blow up. I don't remember where I read this at but it seems plausible.

I am now in possession of a Rem 700 that is 3 generations old. It shot minus 1" groups right from the box 45 years ago and it still shoots minus 1" today. I plan to pass it down 2 more generations when i'm done and it will still be a terrific hunter, nice looking functioning rifle, and shoot well 100 years from now.

I don't follow too much on the Newer Remington stuff as i don't go there, don't need to, but my thoughts are that you can go cheaper or you can go with other "more name brands", like Remington, fix a issue or two if you need or want to, and when all said and done, you will have something to be proud of that will last many lifetimes.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

The barrel nut on the larger diameter barrel is bigger. the nut locks the barrel in place to set headspace. It has no way of cracking under chamber pressure, it could be the headspace was incorrectly set at assembly or who knows. guessing is guessing, alot of factors other than the rifle for having one blow up.

Sage, we are all happy that you like your 25-06 rem, but some people want something besides a 700 rem, for whatever reason. ce61

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-14 AT 01:26PM (MST)[p]ce61. did you read my post #12 above? I don't know what more that i can say or what i'm supposed to say, it's a matter of preference and opinion. Some here though are attacking the Rem 700. They are entitled to their opinions and in some cases like RELH, he has plenty of experience with Firearms that i'll respect his opinion. To shoot down all Rem 700's though, I'll have my opinion heard as well!!

BTW, besides the 25-06, i have a 243, 280AI, 280 Remington, all in 700 Rem. Then there's the many others that have come and gone in trades thru the years. No problems in any of them and like people, i treat Firearms like they treat me.

Edit: ce61, good to see you back in these pages. IMO, you were always one of the Best!!

Joey

My 8 year old just passed hunters safety(48 out of 50 on the test, YUP BRAGGING), we spent a lot of time on guns, and guess what is in the study manual, NEVER USE SMOKELESS POWDER IN A MUZZLOADER. "Stupid is as stupid does".

I owned a savage 99c .308, kicked like a freaking mule, not super accurate. sloppy action, poor finish. I loved that gun, it was my first deer gun.

I now own a .17hmr savage, stainless, bull barrel, thumbhole stock, absolutely beautiful gun. Tack driver.

Point is, savage guns were garbage back in the day, but because they were cheap a lot of us started with them so we have fond memories. The new ones are super accurate, and are much better built but they have critics.

I just picked up a little 20 gauge rem 870. Out of the box the choke tube was cross threaded, the bead broke of after 1 shot.

Times have changed. Savage has greatly improved their products, Remington is becoming garbage.

I wouldn't buy a savage in 300rum or 7mmultra mag. Not because they are a Savage, but becaue I don't generally need to stop tanks, or take down aircraft. Plus I don't have a 8 inch lift on my crew cab powerstroke, or am I dressed head to toe with sitka, and I don't have a yeti full of micro brew, so I am not allowed to buy one. Simple fact is that if you "need" them "awesome magnums" you not buying a working mans gun(savage, ruger) they are too pedestrian, and Savage doesn't have a cool logo. Savage and ruger seem to know who there customers are.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

"Times have changed. Savage has greatly improved their products, Remington is becoming garbage."

Hmm, another with the Remington is junk-garbage. I'm going to make it a point to check into these new Rem products. They been so good, soo long, it's just hard for me to believe.

Joey

Had a 870 magnum since I was 12, 28 years of mud, puppies, steel shot(even with a fixed full choke), 10k or more shells through it, its a tank. I was needless to say pretty pizzed with this new one.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

I wouldn't buy a new Remington. I have a old one in the safe that I love but it was my great grandpas so it doesn't get shot much but yeah the new ones suck. Go with something else. I know Savage makes a okay rifle, mossbergs are pretty good shot guns. Now these opinions are based on the lets use the damn thing and be happy it shoots nice not how pretty the rifle is.

necessary.? John Adams

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom