Habitat Projects for 2016

ICMDEER

Very Active Member
Seems like were in the slow winter part of the year. I belong to several conservation groups, but I have chosen to do habitat work on my own. I think a lot of our money goes to overhead and even to projects I'd prefer not to fund. So I always do a few things each year to help out mule deer. Here's what I hope/plan to do in 2016:

- Cut encroaching ponderosa pine and juniper trees out of mountain mahogany on a ranch in the Black Hills in NE Wyoming. I did 25 acres 2 years ago. Cut down thousands of trees. There's not a lot of mahogany in the Black Hills so this is important habitat. The trees are wrecking it.

- Help a friend/rancher in Carbon County put in a diversion and rework an old irrigation system. We'll bring over 100 acres into irrigation again. We'll plant 40-80 of the best acres to alfalfa that won't be grazed. Deer will use it and it should help body conditions and the breed up. Just hope the elk don't camp on it.

- Work with G&F on a research project to identify chemicals we can use to burn the tops off of bitterbrush and mountain mahogany. That way we can get the tender resprouts. Since controlled burns are tough, and often bring in cheatgrass, we're hoping to find a way to make landscape-scale changes with chemical stimulation on those important plants. This is part of the Platte Valley Habitat Partnership, and I already have three big ranches lined up that are willing to undertake the improvements if we find a chemical that'll work.

Those are my plans for 2016. It'll take some money and time, but mule deer have always been a priority to me.

Anyone else have 2016 plans to do habitat work to help our beloved mule deer?

Jim,

I appreciate what your doing. I think juniper encroachment is one of the biggest issues deer are facing. I can't get to WY but am willing to donate a few bucks to help out. Just send me a PM.

Rich

Jim, I'm retired. I can come up and help, if you need help. One my favorite towns is Newcastle on the edge of those beautiful Black Hills.
Would a week or ten days make a difference in your projects. Got my own 5th wheel to stay in. I've cut a few pinion/juniper and fewer ponderosa over the years.

I'm no spring chicken but I still haul a few logs off the top every year, here in Utah.

Thanks, guys. My wife's family has a small ranch about 12 miles north of Newcastle. I haven't hunted there since the 80's but there are a few deer around there, especially during the summer. I've tried to do all I can to improve it, and will stay after it.

No real need for help. I hope to hit it a few weekends. Those trees just keep encroaching on the open areas and the brushy spots.

I'm no spring chicken either but I really like that country and enjoy running a chain saw.

Thanks and I'll stay in touch if I need anything.

Thanks for all the different things you do for the habitat and critters Jim! I wish I lived closer to put in some hours out there too.

Sounds like some good stuff.
I would be really interested to hear the results of the chemical treatments on the bitterbrush and mahogany.
Keep us posted.

I will try to let everyone know what the results of the chemical research is. It's a fine line because we don't want to kill it, but we want to burn off the old growth and stimulate those tender new sprouts. We will hope to find something that works.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom