handguns?

sniper14

I'm looking for a handgun I can carry around the mountains just in case I need a little protection from wild cats or dogs. What caliber and brand is the best to get. looking for something light yet packs a punch. I already have a hard enough time hiking my fat butt around the mountain as is. Thanks for any advice

Any idea what caliber you prefer or whether semi-auto or revolver?

I always feel much more comfortable packing heat in the hills. Unfortunately, not just for cats and dogs and bears.....but human critters.

There are lots of good small handguns out there now adays for you to check out . Your best bet is finding some place where you can go put your hands on lots of different brands and decide what feels good in your hands .

I'm a big fan of the .45 acp and carry that in a Glock 21 and then my small glock is the 30 . I carry that baby glock all the time , and never even notice I'm carrying .

Also you need to do some shooting and decide what caliber you like and can shoot accurate .

I also carry a glock 30. Its the subcompact .45 model. Its light and small, but still packs a puch. I went with a semi auto because I wanted something that would hold more than 6 rounds. It will hold 10 rounds. Also the glocks dont really have a safety you have to worry about, so you can just draw and shoot if you need to get a quick shot off.
It can depend on where you live too. If you are in wolf country and may have to deal with several animals not just one, I would get a gun that can hold more shells. Just my 2 cents.

.357 or small .44 DA revolver loaded with a good hardcast bullet. Personally, I feel better with a wheelgun. mtmuley

Revolver is the way to go, they are very simple. My cal. Of choice is .357 mag so you can shoot a .38 or .357 mag round. I prefer the smith and wesson models, they fit my hand the best.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

I would not recomend carrying one, you already have a high-powered rifle and a knife on your belt. The added weight of a revolver, ammunition and a holster is not anywhere near worth the little bit of protection it will give you.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I agree with kawboy. A revolver would be great! many capabilities. Id look into a .357 mag. You can also fire .38 special rounds as well which are cheaper. But have the bigger loads for bears and what not. Another thing to take into consideration is CCI makes some buckshot rounds you can fire from your revolver which are nice for snakes you might walk upon will hunting. Just something to think about.

hunt4130/Mike

>I agree with kawboy. A revolver
>would be great! many capabilities.
>Id look into a .357
>mag. You can also fire
>.38 special rounds as well
>which are cheaper. But have
>the bigger loads for bears
>and what not. Another thing
>to take into consideration is
>CCI makes some buckshot rounds
>you can fire from your
>revolver which are nice for
>snakes you might walk upon
>will hunting. Just something to
>think about.
>
>hunt4130/Mike

Or, you could just walk away and leave the snake alone when out hunting. I kill every rattler I come across around my home and neighborhood, but never kill them when out hunting, unless the snake poses an immediate threat to me, which one never has, and I've been way too close to a few of them.

Your probably right. However, I have been attacked by vampires and zombies in the hills as many times as I have been attacked by wildcats and dogs.

Lmao.

I worry more about the sierra club granola eaters that are out and about steeling trail cams.

What about bigfoot?

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Check out the S&W 329PD in 44 mag-
scandium frame
titanium cyl
6 shots of 44 mag power
weight- 26 oz.

A 44 mag will kill anything you point it at, with a solid hit to the vitals and proper ammo-

I hunted, fished and backpacked for more than 4 decades without concerning myself with the dogs, cats or anything else (do carry silver for werewolves, though).

Six years ago, a black bear tried to have me for supper (stalked and charged). I was armed only with a muzzle loader (very fortunately, I have a double barrel). HOWEVER, even after two perfect shots, it wasn't quite dead (fell and was incapacitated at about 12 feet).

Between when he fell and when he stopped moving, I sure wanted my .357. I'll never be in the mountains again without my REAL rifle or the sidearm. I don't have enough faith in the stopping power of a bow, muzzle loader or a fishing rod.

My choice is a Colt SAA .357 (I bought a knock-off so as to save those expensive Colts.) It is my choice simply because I've been shooting them since 1967 and I can actually hit things.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

All kidding aside, a buddy and I spooked a black bear and cubs off an arrow killed bull that a hunter lost. With the wind in our face, we literally damn near stepped on the sow because of the brush. She was huffin and popping her teeth about 15 feet away. No shots fired, but we both had sidearms drawn. mtmuley

I like my Ruger SP101 in .357 3" barrel. It carries nice and small on my belt above my back pocket.

Ruger P-94 Special Edition .40 Auto; excellent safety mechanism, not too heavy (2 lbs empty), 10+1 capacity...would recommend trigger work to ammeliorate excessive take up

Heavy 180 gr. jacketed HP personal defense rounds, and a holster that has a slip pocket for an extra clip if you anticipate a battle of extraordinary proportion

As a sidenote, don't shoot any adult Sasquatch with less than a magnum .30+ cal. RIFLE round, shooting a heavy (200 gr+) and stoutly constructed bullet, and make damn sure ya hit the thing square in the central nervous system

and no, I am not kidding

Good Luck

I carry a Springfield XD in .45 ACP. I chose the Springfield because it fit my hand better than the Glock... I recommend feeling a lot of guns in your hand.

My guess is that a revolver will probably feel best to you, it seems my Dad's Ruger has about the best feeling grip. I wanted a semi-auto though, and I wanted the biggest round I could afford. If I can only get off one shot- I want it to count as much as possible.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

The best back country sidearm I've found is the glock 29. It's the most power you'll find in a semi with 10mm, yet it isn't unpleasant to shoot. It's smaller than most and carries the biggest whallop in a small package I've found.

I tried the S&W 329pd scandium 44 - it was a beast. I can't recommend it. That thing was flat out painful to shoot.

With the glock 29, you get 11 shots of high power medicine - quite a bit more than a .45 or a .40. Get your ammo from doubletap and you're set. The power is approaching the .41 mag. Why carry a revolver when you can get twice as my shots in a gun that weighs less and is just as reliable?

The other cool thing about the 29 is you can drop in a .40 barrel if you want to use .40 to practice with.

I don't pack when I am rifle hunting but for archery season I carry a Springfield XDM .40. Never used it but always feel better about having it. A piece of mind is worth the extra weight for me. I pack it in a thigh holster so it's out of the way of my pack.

Agreed about the superior performance of the 10mm DryFly...definitely a great auto round. If I was in the market for a new auto, that would be the chambering for sure

Marley, if you're like me and you don't really like something 'stuck to your leg', you might try a clip-on holster (mine is an Uncle Mike's Sidekick) clipped to the outside webbing of your packs waist-belt...if necessary you can put a couple small safety pins or rivets in the webbing to keep the holster clipped where you want it and prevent it sliding along the belt as you move, as the nylon is rather slippery

When I hike around out in the woods I pack my S&W M&P 40. 10 rounds (thanks CA!) in a pretty neat package. I've never liked the grip on the Glock either. Another great thing about the M&P is the adjustable grip. Its has 3 different inserts to fit different hand sizes.

Venison and Zinfandel are GOOD!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-14-11 AT 09:51AM (MST)[p]I carry a 2" Taurus revolver with a concealed hammer in .357 Mag.

I like a revolver for that stuff, less moving parts to jam in the dust/rain/snow. You know it will shoot when you pull the trigger and there isn't a safety to mess with, a hammer to pull back, or a slide to pull in a tense situation...just point and pull the trigger.

I recommend the holster from FOBUS.

Grizzly

I have a glock but the grip just feels to bulky just wondering if their is anyway of changing that or maybe just buying something else?

The Ruger P101 is a great little snub nose. I have the 357 but almost always shoot 38's in it. Granted the thing only holds 5 rounds, but it is acurate and very streamlined for a wheel gun.

Glock 36 with a Fobus holster gives me 8 rounds of .45 ACP. This is a .45 in the frame of a 9mm. Great for concealed carry and archery hunts.

Also look into the SERPA holsters made by BLACKHAWK. I currently have the Fobus but I think the SERPA is better as it offers more security.

I use a Model 29 44 mag in a shoulder holster. It is a little heavy to carry on your hip. I pack it when I'm retrieving down game and don't want to have my hands full carrying my rifle. It's like having your best friend with you!

Moose

Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up

I always take my S&W .40...too many cats, dogs and crazy folks out there these days...especially if I'm hunting with my bow or muzzy.

copple2

XD .40 excellent gun, shoots well, reliable, not too heavy, packs a punch and not over priced either.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom