Hardcore Question

bigbull1

Very Active Member
Howdy Wade,

I have a Mossy Oak Apx Instinct jacket and pants set I bought for a Northwest Territories caribou a few years back. While blessed with good weather during that hunt, I have only used the gear on a few bad weather hunts since, which were not severe.

Is there superior outer shell gear on the market these days? Have you had any experience with this product?

Following is a description about the product and laminate.

APX INSTINCT JACKET
# Waterproof, windproof, and breathable
# Fully mesh lined for maximum breathability weight reduction
# Seamless shoulders for lower bulk when wearing a pack and more comfort for long days
# Articulated elbows that allow you to bend your arms with no restrictions
# Sleeves built for full range of motion in any direction
# Mesh-lined, bellowed chest pockets for ventilation while open
# Removable, hideaway hood zips off and stores in collar for ultimate headgear storage
# Adjustable hood with adjustments at back and along face for a snug head fit
# Single-hand cinch cordlocks for easy tension adjustment
# High collar for comfort in all conditions
# Snap closures at center front and on pickets for quiet and easy open/close
# Mesh vent hand pockets so open air can pass in and out of the mesh, cooling the body when needed
# Two inner zipper pockets with two small utility pockets
# Inner universal zipper to accept any layering system liner
# Adjustable stretch cuffs for a snug and trim fit
# Bungee elastic drawcord at wait and hem

Fabric: 100% polyester ripstop
Lining: 100% polyester mesh
Color: New Break-up

Ben Maki Note: "A key point about the APX Instinct Jacket is the MVTR...the Moisture Vapor Transportation Rate. The industry standard MVTR is around 5,000/5,000. The laminate that is used in the Instinct jacket is 20,000/20,000. This type of laminate is better for hard core hunting?we got this technology from Marmet."

Thanks Wade for your input

Ed
www.huntpacks.com

Hello Ed,

Sorry for the late response, its been a little crazy around here lately. I looked at the APX line last year but didn't find anything that matched what I was searching for. My problem with the Instinct Jacket was that it didn't have pit zips which is a big issue with me. The waterproof/breathable laminate that they talk about coming from "Marmot" is Membrain or the new Membrain Strata. I also thought it was a tad heavy due I am sure to the hanging mesh liner. Which is odd because it was my understanding that Membrain didn't need a liner.

Here is what I find interesting about this whole thing, the APX Instinct is no longer available. To me, that says something. Either it wasn't any good or it was good and they just did a poor job of getting the word out to the market. I don't know which is the case here. I can tell you that I have been contacted by the Mossy Oak folks and they say that there is a second generation APX on the way called APXg2. I am supposed to be able to test it as early as June of this year and am looking forward to it.

With regard to what Maki has to say, he is a Mossy Oak marketing guy which means his information may be accurate but it is biased and predictable. I cannot trust what he says, I have to do my own work. You have the APX Instinct Jacket and Pants, what do you think of it?

Is there anything out there that is superior? I can't say because I have not tested the Mossy Oak gear yet. I am still recommending the Sitka Nimbus Jacket as best in class and am anxious to test their new Gore-Tex gear in the 2009 line. I also think that the Cabelas MTO50 Quiet Pack Jacket and Pants/Bibs are worth serious consideration for some people. See my recent article on the subject.

Hope that helps. Again, sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-09 AT 03:02PM (MST)[p]Thanks Wade for your opinion!

I really haven't put this gear to an extreme test yet in real conditions. My Northwest Territories hunt which I purchased it for turned out to be a bluebird weather week long hunt. I wore it once this last year on a New Mexico elk hunt, but during the day it drizzled off and on, and never really poured. It did seem to breathe ok, and I haven't had any leaks during the few times worn.

I did use it during the course of some extreme snow conditions, but only while snow blowing the driveways at my home the last two winters. I agree that it is heavy (I think I weighed I for the NWT hunt and both pieces added up just less than 5lbs).

I pack a set of Space Rain by Cabela's in my pack for my Nevada hunts and used it only twice. The Space Rain gear seemed to work well in medium wet weather, but doesn't breath well at all and feels like it would tear easily it scrub brush conditions. It compacts small, weighs little and seems perfect for the occasional shower which usually is in short duration here. I have used it as well during early spring hikes in the Sierra's over fleece outerwear for wind protection when reaching open basins and ridge tops.

Thanks again....

Ed
www.huntpacks.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom