Havalon knives

runamuk

Very Active Member
are they good knives? or just another cheap gimick?
is there any problem with the bldes coming out while in use?
i am thinking about getting some for christmas gifts, for my hunting buddies.
but i would hate to buy 5 of them just to find out they are junk.
thanks for any help.

I own one and love it. They are great for skinning and caping, Not really to cut bones and stuff. THey are sharp as crap, one slip and your finger is off.

Best knife I have ever bought. It is great for caping and quartering, I have used them on deer,elk,and antelope and have never had a problem!

CABugle

They are the perfect christmas gift. I have never had a blade come off as they lock in place. As previously stated they are not good for bone but they are perfect for caping and skinning.

Having used them (both models) on several deer and elk, I think they are a great tool for skinning and caping deer but not for elk. The blade is just too thin and the elk's hide too thick for the job.

Todd Black
BTO

the one thing I do not like about them is that the blades will break easy, I went though about ten blades on an elk this year finally I had to put it away. use it mostly for the fine work and you should be ok.

I like mine, Ive only used it on an antelope and a moose. i guess i dont understand why some say they are too thin, they are for cutting not prying,i may not have enough use with them to make a judgement?

thanks everybody..
i went ahead and bought 6 of em with 200 extra blades..
the extra blades are suposed to be a little thicker, and less prone to breaking.
nothing will ever be able to replace the sweet knives my grandpa's gave me, but i think they could be a welcome light wieght addition to our packs..

how do you guys carry your extra blades to keep them from loosing there edge?

The extra blades are wrapped individually and very easy to pack.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward, whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both, for a wounded man shall say to his assailant "If I live I will kill you, If I die you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

I've been using the Havalon for the last two seasons and love it. Like has been said, it is tricky on Elk hide, you have to be careful not to twist the blade while cutting the hide, it will break. I've done two full elk, skinning, quartering and caping, with one blade...just gotta be careful with it and it won't break. I use a case that came with a different knife and the extra blades slide in with the Havalon nicely. Great knives and very light weight, your buddy's will love em'!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom