Have you been, or plan to, go bear hunting? (Poll)

Have you been, or plan to, go bear hunting?

• Total voters

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Who all has been, or going, bear hunting this year? What state? Archery? Gun? Do you hunt from a stand or spot-n-stalk? Just curious how you all hunt them?

full.jpg

California, every year. Archery (opportunistic), but mainly rifle. Even then, only opportunistic because I focus on deer and if I kill a bear, they are generally big and quite a chore to get the hide, head and all the meat (and sometimes fat) back to camp. All spot and stalk.

No. Bear are one of the critters low on my list. Guess what gets me more than anything else is the known parasitic issues with them. All I'd want is the skull, pelt, and claws. No desire to eat the meat🤮. So I pass on them. But I don't disgrace anyone who is contrary to my mentality. 🤘

Probably not this year. Have hunted them a dozen times, give or take. Always spring time after a long winter. First hunt of the year as the snow melts. Always a great time. Over the counter. We always had high success. I have taken 8-10 and our group of 3-5 each year probably have taken 35 or so. Low stress hunt with numerous sightings. I know the one year between 4 of us we spot and stocked 19 different bears. Tagged out with 4 bears for 4 of us.

Have 18 points here in Utah and will go for San Juan when I do, maybe next year.

If you love Mule Deer and hunting them, hunt these bears. A fun great investment.
If I draw my early season deer tag in Colorado we will pick up some leftover bear tags. There are a lot of bears in that unit and need to thin them out and help the mule deer.
Here’s a bear we got a couple years ago on that same unit. She was aged at 10 years old and never had cubs. Probably ate a few fawns in her lifetime
IMG_7173.jpeg

For the life of me I don’t know why any Mule Deer state does not allow free-for-all Bear hunting, even better add them to the Coyote Bounty program and pay $50 for each dead Bear.
I bet any and all Mule Deer biologists would agree?
#BringBackMuleDeer

Bear is pretty low on my list but it’s definitely something I’ll eventually do once for sure. I have 19 points for Utah so I have options. Time is an issue for me so I’ll probably have to hire someone for help. I just have to eventually prioritize the time to do it.

Bear is pretty low on my list but it’s definitely something I’ll eventually do once for sure. I have 19 points for Utah so I have options. Time is an issue for me so I’ll probably have to hire someone for help. I just have to eventually prioritize the time to do it.
I wish you the best of luck on your fawn-killer hunt!

I bear hunt every year, never miss it. The other thing I do every year is end up giving myself a ton of crap I have to get done right at the same time. No difference this year, got a long list, probably going to punt for April and try and get it all done to hunt May. It only gets better later anyway but man one of these years, I’m going to have a stress free start to spring bear

For the life of me I don’t know why any Mule Deer state does not allow free-for-all Bear hunting, even better add them to the Coyote Bounty program and pay $50 for each dead Bear.
I bet any and all Mule Deer biologists would agree?
#BringBackMuleDeer
Colorado always has a lot of leftover bear tags. Raising the NR cost from $100 to $250 this year will probably result in a lot more leftovers.

That’s ok, we will still pick up a tag if we draw a mule deer tag. Always good to help keep the predators in check. And, I still have a cinnamon bear on my bucket list. lol

Colorado always has a lot of leftover bear tags. Raising the NR cost from $100 to $250 this year will probably result in a lot more leftovers.

That’s ok, we will still pick up a tag if we draw a mule deer tag. Always good to help keep the predators in check. And, I still have a cinnamon bear on my bucket list. lol
Should be free to kill those giant garbage eating Raccoons.
And, the State should offer a bounty for each Bear/Coyote/Cougar killed.
Cheap investment to bring our Deer back.

There used to be lots of bear hunters with dogs in NW Kali and bears were kept pretty well in check. I see a lot more bears now and could have taken a truck load over the years but just never had the desire. I don't like eating them or it would be a different story. I'm always deer hunting when I see one, so I'd rather just shoo them away.

Should be free to kill those giant garbage eating Raccoons.
And, the State should offer a bounty for each Bear/Coyote/Cougar killed.
Cheap investment to bring our Deer back.
birth control would bring the deer back not predator control.

Killed one smallish bear I badly misjudged on size. Did not care that much for the meat. I will probably go again since my hunting buddy and my son both want to kill a bear. I doubt I shoot another one unless it definitely on the large side.

You just do the shaker barrels? Popcorn for bait?
It's on private lands, so I can use more than one barrel. I use one vertical barrel. Fill it with popcorn and the leftover cakes, donuts, breads, etc the store lets me have.

The roller barrel is filled with COB (corn, oats and barley) that's treated with molasses. I also sometimes put some syrup on the standing barrel and maybe some fryer grease I keep around from the local grills. And then put some marshmallow cream or other treat on the tree to keep them coming.

But I"ve used all kinds of stuff in the past. I don't use meat in the barrel any more. Gets too hot and the maggots are crazy.

Headed to Russia in early May for brown bear, and then the day I get back I’ll head to Montana for my annual bear hunt up there. This will be my 9th year in a row.

Wow you are a braver man than I going to Russia. I guess you think it is safe, but too much going on over there for me.

Hunted with a friend this last week named Vlad. Parents moved from Russia when he was 10 to California. He know lives in Nevada. So he made the statement he escaped from communism twice. Once from Russia and once from CA 🤪

Wow you are a braver man than I going to Russia. I guess you think it is safe, but too much going on over there for me.

I'm with you.

Personally, there is absolutely no way I would leave North American soil under this administration right now.

I'm not really happy about even going to Canada next month....

I keep thinking a grizzly bear hunt would be awesome........however that is me behind my computer saying that........maybe I would change my mind going to face to face with one.

My son hunts spot and stalk, or calls them in with predator calls. We cannot possibly eat two bears on top of the deer and turkey we kill, so I am content not to hunt them myself. They are damn fine eatin', however.

We usually have at least one tag in camp in CA. Like Snoop said above it's usually gotta be the right bear in the right place at the right time for us to miss time from chasing deer.

They're a bit of a pain to deal with. Nothing to grab onto and like a bag of jello to move. Once you get them gutted and cool it's pretty similar to anything else. We love the snack sticks when we have them. Great eating.

I won’t miss spot and stalk spring bear, I do it every spring, it’s a wonderful time to be in the mountains and watch the plants and animals come back to life after a long winter. And if I get a bear it is good meat

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom