Have You Named It Yet?

grizzmoose

Very Active Member
I know Im going to get slammed for this, but who cares? This whole naming the animal you are after is so goofy. What is wrong with the Burris buck or the Broder buck? Ever since the Buck of Justice, Popeye, and the Spider Bull(gag) names were broadcast, it seems everyone has to come up with some witty name for an animal. How long does it take some of these guys to come up with a name? It kind of reminds me of women looking through baby name books looking for something unique and spelled weird. I swear some of the posters in here imagine a faint drum roll as they announce the name of the buck/bull they are hunting or recently killed. Sorry guys, no applause, no cheering, and no "praise Jesus'!!" are coming. Just crickets.

If you feel you must name your quarry, why not go with something simple like "Fred" or "Hugh"? It doesn't really matter anyways. Chances are, if it's not a record of sorts, no one will remember it anyways.

Why do you care? Get a grip dude. It'll be ok, trust me. Deep breaths, now repeat "woosaw" while rubbing your ear lobes. Good luck, I hope you overcome your demons.

I dont mind names that relate to certain characteristics. like : cheater buck, sword bull, beamer, ect. and names that relate to location are alright to : sage buck, camp bull, cemetary buck, ect.......
it helps identify which critter you're talkin about when you tell your buddies BS stories!

i was watching a deer on our familys riverbottom land. i kept telling my dad about this huge deer. he said can you describe him, well i said he about gives you a heart attack when you see him. so we named this whitetail buck heart attack.

Kinda like a grizmoose... :)

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

My family names most of the animals we focus that deserve a name. It get confusing trying to tell one another about the "Big 4X5". We use a theme for the year. Last year was news anchors (Hannity, Gretta, Glenn Beck, etc.), this year is constellations (Pegasus, Medusa, Virgo, etc.). When you see as many animals as we do, you have to name them something.

>Why do you care? Get a
>grip dude. It'll be ok,
>trust me. Deep breaths, now
>repeat "woosaw" while rubbing your
>ear lobes. Good luck, I
>hope you overcome your demons.
>

Sweet! Only three minutes until my first critic.

>I got a buck named ELROY
>on my wall

There ya go. A good ole fashioned name. You are just 1 letter away from him being a Mexican king.

With the exception of truly exceptional animals, naming them seems silly to me, as well.

That being said, I was trying to help my young son "catch" a deer. It had a VERY odd-shaped right antler. We spent several days trying to get him close enough to shoot "crooked horn", which seemed to enhance his thrill about the whole process.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Same thing as what fly4fish said, if you're keeping track of a lot of different ones it's so much easier with a name. We don't always do it, but do if we feel we need. There's nothing wrong with it lol. Funny anyone would suggest otherwise.

[URLwww.simplypoul[/URL]
son.com]

named the one I'm after in Colorado Ninja.... haven't seen him, haven't heard him, don't even know if he's around, but have heard stories.

Can't say what I call the WT buck at home that I've been chasing for going on 3 yrs.... urban dictionary is full of names and phrases I've called him.

The buck I hunted in CO last year was named Trash Can by the outfitter. Not my choice but that was the name and we stuck with it. Pretty much all of the top end animals get names in some way shape or form and that is a personal thing between me and my buddies. If you don't like it; don't worry about it. Move on and I guess in your case it would be the 4x4 buck or the 4x4 with one eye guard, but that is your choice. Different strokes for different folks.

>named the one I'm after in
>Colorado Ninja.... haven't seen him,
>haven't heard him, don't even
>know if he's around, but
>have heard stories.
>
>Can't say what I call the
>WT buck at home that
>I've been chasing for going
>on 3 yrs.... urban dictionary
>is full of names and
>phrases I've called him.

Haha! I like that one!

>Something tells me you don't know
>how to have fun JizzMoose!
>
>
>: < ) Now, I
>better go so I can
>hunt for CauliflowEar! LOL
>

Something tells me you would be awesome in a rap battle. Your rhymes are sick!

I once named a bull moe cause he was way moe bigger than any other bull I had ever seen.Pretty catchy I thought.

I'm with ya,Grizzmoose.Gets to the point that it gets a little silly at times.That being said,mt first muley mount was christened "Little Ernie" by my lovely bride.After I had killed it,though.

Same as others have said, if you have been scouting and are familiar with the animals it is just easier....when you are hunting and someone gets a quick look at a bull before he dissapears and you have seconds to react it's much easier to say "it's Chucky", than "it's that 5x6 with really long beams that won't score really well but is super cool and he doesn't really scream or bugle but we have heard him chuckle and I think you would remember him by this description"

Plus it's fun, so who cares. Now naming an animal AFTER you kill him, that's just retarded.

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-11 AT 05:50PM (MST)[p]Yeah, I named it. Wait, what were we talking about?

I've given names to a few bucks over the years. For the most part these are bucks that I had encountered for several years in a row and I was getting to know them on a first name basis. They normally don't get a name until the 3rd of 4th year of them making a fool out of me. But my brother is like you and thinks it's silly. When I offered him a MassNTrash steak I was cooking on a campfire grill, he turned it down. Said he couldn't eat something with a name. I say he's just a wimp. If I raised a beef cow or a pig, they would probably have names too and when they were in the freezer, I'd label them with that same name. ;)

my ex named mine the (palomino),she said it would winnie at her from time to time,

ain't gotta clue were she came up with that name,

I have'nt named one yet but, the next buck I kill his name's going to be Richard regardless of what he looks like.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-11 AT 07:39PM (MST)[p]Here's some pics of bucks that I have named.

HANK, he just looks like a Hank to me is the reason he got the name. When a buck hangs on your wall it becomes part of the family.
215Monster.jpg

MassNTrash. The name came several years after I had first watched him. It suited him. After 6 years of hunting him and picking up his sheds, we started to refer to him just as MnT.
MnT04-05a.jpg

MnT04-05c.jpg

08630024.jpg

WIDEBUGGER. I watched this buck for 5 years. I refered to him always as that wide bugger or the wide bugger so his name just was what came naturally when I saw him. Never did come even close to killing this buck. I believe he became catscat the year he cleaned up his trash.
Widebugger0253.jpg

Widebugger0219.jpg

Widebugger0301.jpg

Widebugger0303.jpg

Widebugger0310.jpg

Widebugger0404.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

Mar25008a.jpg

MatchedSet001a.jpg

DEEP FORKS. Kinda self explanatory.
DeepForks041.jpg

DeepForks045.jpg

DeepForks055.jpg

NOV17031a.jpg

COKE CAN BUCK. Also self explanatory. Didn't see this buck much over the years but my buddies and I currently have 8 sheds off of him.
HookCheaterBuck027a.jpg

HookCheaterBuck024a.jpg

March2010006.jpg

DOUBLE MAINBEAM BUCK. Again self explanatory. Saw this buck a few times in his younger years. Only ever found one shed off of him. He went under the radar for years and then I finally killed him last year as a regressed old buck. Now he actually has 2 names as my wife and kids like to call him FREAK and that is what went on the packages in the freezer.
Apr17006b.jpg

PB120002a.jpg

BCBOY, you are sick puppy :)

That right there is the epitomy of why we name bucks and bulls!!!

An incredible collection! Thanks for sharing them in one place like that. I know I've seen most of them, but together like that it really tells the story.

Cheers,
Pete

I've named a few myself over the years but it's usually on the fly, like "ohhhh you Sumbitch" or "don't do this to me you *&$%sucker" or "easy there Big Fella" or "just keep talkin Screamer", etc.:D

By the way, naming critters started long before Popeye, Broder Buck and especially the "Spider Bull". I remember my grandpa naming a few. One in particular I can remember was "knothead". You can imagine what that buck looked like. That was back in the 60's.

It's always an adventure!!!

Im with BCboy, when their on your wall or pedestal in my case they are a part of our family. My wife felt she needed a name for my bull, I built the pedestal and she was very involved in helping me. Once it was completed and set she named him Gus.

I have also chased a few over the years and given them names for Identification purposes to tell my partner about. Had one bull that could not bugle, almost as though he blew his voice box out. But with every step he took as he walked behind his herd he would growl like a big old grizzly. So with that I named him Big Ben. We watched that bull for 4 years in a row. My partner had him come under his tree stand one year when we had cow tags and was able WITH excitement, tell me he had Big Ben come in. Pretty cool in my book.

GBA

Here's Gus.
4716bull_on_ped.jpg

I do the numbers thing......#1, #2....and alternate with "plan A", "plan B"....you get the idea.

Named a fat elk, "Fat Albert" this season.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

I usually name them after what they are going to end up as. Such as Dinner, Lunch, Jerky, meatloaf. Shoot a pig ends up as breakfast.

I kind of like the regular old names. You must be a Lonesome Dove fan? Not a fan of names that describe the animal. Just think its goofy.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-11 AT 08:34AM (MST)[p]its almost saying like do you name your dog, and horse.

few years ago, we seen a deer with a huge growth on her face. like ahuge tumor. he named her tumor, easier to say hey i seen tumor today. then trying to say yeah i seen that deer that had that thing on her face, well you know.

i have called a deer stickers. easier to say stickers than that deer with all those stickers on his antlers.

just a couple of examples

>
>Plus it's fun, so who cares.
>Now naming an animal AFTER
>you kill him, that's just
>retarded.
>

But it helps to know its name to whipser in its ear during the mounting process.

HOOK 'EM!

AWLB-Amen to that!LOL!Those were nice names where I come from!!Andyman-I won't tell her she's retarded if you won't!I was pissed at first,because I work with a pompous a$$ named Ernie who is always bragging about his hunting conquests-but no one ever sees any pics of them!And that is who she named him after.After awhile I started calling him "Little Ernie" too!Pointless to try to get her to stop calling him that,especially when she knew it got to me!I got some names for her,too!!

>AWLB-Amen to that!LOL!Those were nice names
>where I come from!!Andyman-I won't
>tell her she's retarded if
>you won't!I was pissed at
>first,because I work with a
>pompous a$$ named Ernie who
>is always bragging about his
>hunting conquests-but no one ever
>sees any pics of them!And
>that is who she named
>him after.After awhile I started
>calling him "Little Ernie" too!Pointless
>to try to get her
>to stop calling him that,especially
>when she knew it got
>to me!I got some names
>for her,too!!

There is a wife exemption to the retarded clause. She's in luck the rule applies to male hunters only....

-----------------------------------------------
http://andymansavage.blogspot.com/

Funny that you mentioned that you didn't like names like Buck of Justice or Popeye and wondered how long it takes people to come up with a new name, and yet now you saying you like regular old names but names that describe the animal are goofy??? Really I agree with some of the other posters here, "why do you care?"
I can tell ya when you and your buddies have several bucks on a target list, identifying them by descriptive names is the only way to go. If you don't, you can easily be confused as to what deer you just saw or what deer your buddy saw. Names like Heavy 4 or Inline or Tall and Narrow or Broken or Booner or Rat go a long ways when it comes to keeping track of them. When you see these bucks rarely over several years, when one is spotted by your group, you can then focus on it because you all know exactly which buck it is.

I called this one Chubby, but I guess you could also call him "fat antelope". What would you call him?

373.jpg

Have a good one. BB

I named this one Big 7. Another descriptive name. :)

PC310052.jpg

PC310061.jpg

PC310062.jpg

PC310086.jpg

Feb7083.jpg

Feb7087.jpg

Feb7091.jpg

He wasn't a Big 7 the first year I took pics of him.
2007a307.jpg

2007a309.jpg

2007a317.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-11 AT 07:41PM (MST)[p]I remember as a little kid I called this buck my ol' man killed, BAMBI'S DAD
DadsBigMuley.jpg

DadsMuleyandTruck.jpg

Why do you care that I care? I'm not saying its wrong, I'm just saying I think it's goofy. I can see all the reasons for naming an animal while you are scouting if you are seeing multiple bucks you may be interested in. But when someone comes in here saying they killed "Buckzilla" or "Big Hoss", I think it's goofy. It's not wrong, nor is it right. I can opine that I think it's silly, and you can think Im a bore or crotchety. It's just an opinion.

my wifes bull was braying like a donkey instead of bugling so now we just call him donkey. As for all the rest of my animals I just name them P.A. #1, P.A. #2, etc. Stands for poached animal #1, 2,3,4 etc. lol.

seriously though, I can't say I name my animals permanently. They are named for the hunt and thats it. I'm usually watching so many bulls that I separate them out with names in order to keep track of who's seeing what and where. this year we have monster wide 5 who's about a 55 to 60 inch wide 5x5 with 30 inch g1's, then we have louisville who has most likely more than 70 inches of mass, and then theres "target" who's obviously the target bull I'm after. All the rest are targets son, targets grandson, wide 5's son, wide 5's grandson and then the rest are named "just another bull".

I had not planned to name the elk I have not seen or shot this year but since they will no doubt be of substantial size I am going to start getting ready now.

Leroy Brown
Tyson
Little Haus
Turk
BMF
Big 7

Here are some real names we have given deer over the years:

Tripod, Peace Buck, Big 10, Spotty, Clover, Double OO, Big 8, Double OO Jr., Rufus, Kevlar, etc.

The only thing we have named is an old beat up end table.
It is the collection place in our home for anything we don't know what to do with.
If you have lost something and mom says to look on "Fred" you know right where to go.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom