Hearing aids

Stonefly

Very Active Member
Ok folks, how many here, wear hearing aids. Im getting my first set tomorrow. I was told 40 years ago my hearing was bad. I am a tinner by trade, and we all have bad hearing, iv shot pistols in compatitions for 25 years, and long range for almost as long. I use earmuffs when I shoot, problem is I take them off to hear, when Im not shooting. Always some buster caps off a round with his loud muzzel break , when nobody has muffs on and are talking. ANYWAY. After being tested I wad recomended Phonex hearing aids. Haveing fitted and programed tomorrow. Would like to hear from others about how you use yours, hunting, shooting, outdoors ingeneral.

Lol Bess i am getting them a costo, in orem. I am hear now, drove for an hour and 20 mins, to get here. My apointment is at 930 thats when they open. And right now at 9am there is a line, a block and a half long, starting at the door. I told the costco guy, i aint standing in a line to give them $2200 for dam hearing aids. He said when they open i can just go on ahead of the shoppers.

Just got hearing aids about 6 weeks ago. Got tired of having to increase the TV volumne. Also got at Costco.

I've worn hearing aids for 25 + years. I'm sure you suffered from sticker shock when you priced them out! They have come a long way in development over the years. The more you spend, the better the quality and capabilities. Some brands will suppress sudden loud noises, adjust to room noise, etc. Some even have Blu-tooth capabilities. Phonak, Odicon, Nu-ear, etc., they are all good. I'm due for a new pair soon. I tried a couple of different brands recently at my audiologist, $6,500-$8,500. Thank God for insurance!
I'm going to check out Costco as well. I've heard their mark-up isn't as high as the smaller, independent hearing centers.
You will be shocked what you will hear the first couple of days, things you have missed out on for years. It will be a little overwhelming for awhile, and takes some time to adjust. Your brain will ultimately get used to them.

I've worn hearing aids for 25 + years. I'm sure you suffered from sticker shock when you priced them out! They have come a long way in development over the years. The more you spend, the better the quality and capabilities. Some brands will suppress sudden loud noises, adjust to room noise, etc. Some even have Blu-tooth capabilities. Phonak, Odicon, Nu-ear, etc., they are all good. I'm due for a new pair soon. I tried a couple of different brands recently at my audiologist, $6,500-$8,500. Thank God for insurance!
I'm going to check out Costco as well. I've heard their mark-up isn't as high as the smaller, independent hearing centers.
You will be shocked what you will hear the first couple of days, things you have missed out on for years. It will be a little overwhelming for awhile, and takes some time to adjust. Your brain will ultimately get used to them.

This is probably all true but you'd have to wear them while you're hunting with me for me to believe you hahahaha.

I'm looking at needing them sooner than not. It's embarrassing to just smile and nod to pretend you hear what people are saying. Anyone using them know if they help with tinnitus?

I need them and keep putting it off!!!

Wife's been trying to get me to get some for numerous years. Hard to bite the bullet and spend the money ??

My biggest surprise was how loud a plastic bag is and how a sheet of paper sounds like an avalanch. Kinda like the Toby Keith song " I sobered up and I got to thinking you ain't much fun since I quit drinkin" I had good selective hearing...no excuse now.

COSTCO!!! Elk are talking again! I love the blue tooth to my phone. Best phone calls I have had in 20 years..
$1555 out the door last Aug..2 year loss warranty almost needed that...found it with my phone!!
COSTCO is way to go other then I had to drive to front range...

Costco 1+ (liked mine so much that we bought my mother a pair to replace her $6000 pair that she hasn't like for several years)

Ok, iv used them for 2 days now, had to get a new phone, to run the apps for them, bought betteries, and a cleaner/storage thing. MAN IS THIS WORLD LOUD!!! Everything kinda jumps out at you. Fell sorry for my little aussy, Elly, i could hear her dog tags, sounded like jingel bells, lol. Buzzers and bells in my truck are way annoying.BUT, so far its been nice talking with my family, and understanding them. Its funny, they talk to me loud, and i say tone it down please . So far so good.....

got mine thru the VA...cost me nuthin...but I DO take them out a lot cause I get tired of listening to Wyoming Wind like its an F5 tornado when I'm out by myself..

Do any of the Costco hearing aids have in the ear with loud noise suppression? I've got a lot of hearing loss from my work, random loud noise. I wear glasses and don't want the big battery pack behind my ears.

My wife and kids thought that I needed them so I went and got tested, seems my hearing is just fine..LOL
It is called selective hearing at least that is what my wife is saying...LOL

Do any of the Costco in the ear hearing aids have shock noise suppression, so I can wear them hunting without having to get ear protection over them? My wife keeps mumbling that I need hearing aids, or something like that. I'd like to get the in the ear kind since I wear glasses, and I don't want the battery pack behind my ears.

You will get used to them.
You will adjust but give it a few days and you will forget you have them in.
1] Dont forget them in when you jump in the shower.
2] Dont forget them in your pants pockets before you throw them in the hamper.

You will get used to them.
You will adjust but give it a few days and you will forget you have them in.
1] Dont forget them in when you jump in the shower.
2] Dont forget them in your pants pockets before you throw them in the hamper.
3) Don't open a pissed off bee box with no hood on with them in......you'll spend the next several hours searching for where they hit.....

I’m headed for Costco in Orem Saturday to get fitted for some. they look like a pain in the butt to wear, but I can’t hear worth a crap. Building contractor for 42 years and all the saws, compressors and all have taken their toll. Not to mention blasting Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, uncle Ted and many others didn’t help back in the 70s.

I’m headed for Costco in Orem Saturday to get fitted for some. they look like a pain in the butt to wear, but I can’t hear worth a crap. Building contractor for 42 years and all the saws, compressors and all have taken their toll. Not to mention blasting Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, uncle Ted and many others didn’t help back in the 70s.
your truck that you think is fine will sound wore out wearing them......

I finally broke down and got some last year, years around jet a/c, guns , chainsaws, motorcycles etc left me with tinnitus Big Time. They are helpful in the woods and listening to kiddos . They are useless in the woods if there is any significant wind. They are not the end all cure all for hearing loss but are helpful in certain environments.

I finally broke down and got some last year, years around jet a/c, guns , chainsaws, motorcycles etc left me with tinnitus Big Time. They are helpful in the woods and listening to kiddos . They are useless in the woods if there is any significant wind. They are not the end all cure all for hearing loss but are helpful in certain environments.
Did they help with your tinnitus?

I spent $4,800 and they work great BUT they are "aids" not cures. Biggest surprise is how they pick up the sound of paper being folded or crumpled really uncomfortable. I sometimes go to bed with them in.......not a good idea.

I had it in just one ear for a few years but now they both ring, especially if I get hit with a sharp or loud noise during the day It really sets them off. Has me wishing I’d have thought more about ear protection 30 years ago. My understanding is there really isn’t much of a cure for it?

Got tested today. I ordered some and they said it will be a couple weeks before they come in I’ll have to go back and get them fitted for my ears. They cost me 1,800 dollars total. I guess we will see how it goes. They work with your phone. You can adjust them on your phone and also receive calls on them.. don’t know how that will go cause I’m tech stupid.

Hey HorseCorn?

Did Your Wife Inform You that You Are Gonna Start Listening To Her now?:D

Got tested today. I ordered some and they said it will be a couple weeks before they come in I’ll have to go back and get them fitted for my ears. They cost me 1,800 dollars total. I guess we will see how it goes. They work with your phone. You can adjust them on your phone and also receive calls on them.. don’t know how that will go cause I’m tech stupid.

I had it in just one ear for a few years but now they both ring, especially if I get hit with a sharp or loud noise during the day It really sets them off. Has me wishing I’d have thought more about ear protection 30 years ago. My understanding is there really isn’t much of a cure for it?
drink a V8 juice.....see how loud it is then....salt will set them on high....

Did you have insurance or does that help with cost?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom