Heckuva Ram

Cozmo8

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-06 AT 08:59PM (MST)[p]I just had to do that. I watched the Lancaster sheep video dozen of times before my Dall sheep hunt in Alaska. They say "Heckuva ram" and "Big Ole ram" a bunch in the video. I wish I could duplicate their accent, I love it. Here are pictures of my ram. It was a first rate experience even if I would not have got a ram this nice. I went with the intention of having a great adventure and if I got a decent 37 inch or better ram I would have been thrilled. It doesn't hurt to be lucky. I had a great outiftter and a great ram wandered in our path. I got him on the third day of my hunt. Weather was marginal but could have been worse. We saw quite a few black bears with several being cinnamon phase. We saw a few moose but no Grizz, the guide was surprised that we did not see any.
dall14.jpg

dall13.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-06 AT 09:10PM (MST)[p]A few more pictures.

dall8.jpg

dall6.jpg

dall1-1.jpg

dall3.jpg

These were the other two hunters taken by Matt Synder's outfit. My ram was 11 years old 40 x 38 with both bases over 14 inches. The other two rams were both 10 year old rams. The one on the left is 38.5 and the other is 41 inches. Alaska Hunting Adventures had another great year they have taken 6 sheep out of 6 hunters and all were 10 years of age or older except one. If you put in for the Tok Management Area (TMA) call these people they do a great job.

Cosmo,

Oh my God!!!!!!!!! What a beautiful ram. Thanks for the pics and the great story. Please post more pics if you have any!

cosmo8, congrats on a great ram, i hope to draw that tag one day and use Frank or his wife they truly know the tok and have taken some great rams, looks like you and frank had a good time congrats again, nmbighorn

Nice sheep, looks like you had a little termination dust. Really nice country back in there I have hunted it twice on the Robertson river is this close to where you where?

I have never heard of termination dust. It is funny you mention it. We went to bed the night we got the sheep and Frank, my guide said that it looked like we were going to get some weather in the morning. It did not look any different to me than it did the previous three days when it rained pretty much 60% of the time. Sure enough he was right again as we woke up to snow and very limited visibility. This was my first time hunting with them so I am not totally sure where we were but near the Robertson river sounds right.

I have been fortunate, but yes I do have two sheep now. I was thinking of this recently. The way the draws are going and the price of Stone Sheep hunts I think that I will have to attempt a "Poor Man Slam". Acquiring four North America sheep of any species. If I fill out my applications properly and can walk when I am 65 I will draw a Wy sheep permit. Then I would have to be real lucky in one of the draws or go hunt Dall sheep again. This would get me my "Poor Man Slam". Of course I say this tongue in cheek as any four rams anymore are not cheap. But compared to the true Grand Slam they are reasonable

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom