Hello, from Boise, Idaho!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-16 AT 10:29PM (MST)[p]Jonathan M. Bailey, Gun Owners of America Member

I am new in Boise, ID.

I am interested in taking up wing-shooting here in Idaho: doves, pheasants, grouse, possibly other upland birds. Not much interest in ducks: I hate the notion of sitting in cold, wet blinds or pits and freezing to death. No big game, too much work. Possible interest in coyotes/predators/varmints.

Upland birds sounds like a casual, non-strenuous walk in the flat fields of farmlands over dogs and ideal for me. Always there has to be canine buddies afield for me as I am a dog lover. I will have to learn the basics of shotgun marksmanship/wing-shooting training at clay birds as I am only experienced with rifles. I have read dove hunting books and hear these little cooing critters are daunting to shoot at. The big brag in doves is about who can bag the daily limit with the LEAST number of shells banged from the same gun. Firing ten boxes of shells to limit out is no big deal and a gross waste of ammo and money!!

I have a little deer hunting and ground-squirrel
shooting experience.

Oh, and Merry Christmas and a Happy Donald Trump New Year!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-16 AT 01:55PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-16 AT 12:16?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-16 AT 12:12?PM (MST)

Jonathan M. Bailey, Gun Owners of America Member

I stand correct. Doves are quite EASY to SHOOT AT but I should have said that (according to what I have read in books over the years) a single dove is rather DAUNTING to actually HIT and BRING DOWN with a cloud of bird shot from a single shotgun shell!

If you can bag a limit with no more than a box of shells I gather your "number two" (avoiding fowl (bird-hunting pun intended) language) does not stink!

Yep. I guess my #2 does not stink, by your definition.

I'm not nearly as picky as you since I'll hunt deer in the high country with a bow, sheep on a backpack rifle hunt or doves rocketing past a waterhole with my scattergun.

Good luck with your pursuits.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-16 AT 02:14PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-16 AT 02:12?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-16 AT 02:07?PM (MST)

Jonathan M. Bailey, Gun Owners of America Member

Don't know if "picky" is the word, sir.

I am not in the best shape as I used to be when I was much younger. So my hunting interests are unfortunately limited to low physical exertion, relatively low altitude, flat land and tolerable weather (for older men. Besides, one generally can't have a canine buddy on big game hunts legally. Dogs these days are mostly for feathered game, Southern driven deer hunts and decoying coyotes. Does Idaho still allow hounds for lions and bear?

Depending on the season, terrain, weather, game and climate, hunting can be tough, physically speaking. Riding around in Land Rovers on the Africa Savannah as a tyro under a professional hunter used to be a cake walk in olden times if one were rich and after the Big Five.

I have hunted deer once w/ my Browning A-Bolt II BOSS rifle and scored a yearling buck back in the mid-90's on a guided ranch hunt in the morning of a 1996 October. Tasted tough and horrible. It is tough to have the privilege to lawfully take a DELICIOUS doe as doe tags are like the Holy Grail. The rancher invited me to shoot squirrels with this same gun that afternoon with the same gun. Over-gunned a bit using caliber .25-06 Remington on ground squirrels at 75-100 yards free-standing position or supported on fence posts but super fun just the same with a Vari-X gold-ring Leopold scope and Browning rings and mounts.

Uplanding with a scattergun should be casual and leisurely like golf or bowling. I have never hunted feathered game and wanted to take it up. Dove, pheasant and the like should be good table fare when cooked proper. The eatin' meat is just the breast and maybe the thighs too in larger birds.

Dear Mr. Jonathan M. Bailey

From the style of your written interests, I suggest you look at pictures here: http://boisegunclub.com/photos/ and then their Home Page.

I am confident you will find several persons to help coach you. Simply stay with the individual who best suits your personality. The specific Shotgun shooting Sport will likely "Pick You" once you have spent time on them all. Skeet may become the best enjoyment that aligns itself with your endeavors. Yet never overlook Cowboy Action as it offers enormous Social Rewards & endless Laughter's.

The rest will magically take care of itself.

Jagerdad

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom