Help! Leftover antelope

Mudminnow56

Ok here's my situation. My dad and I have Region C deer tags and am now looking into buying leftover antelope tags. We would like to have tags that are within the region c deer area. I know there's a lot of private land but IF you had to pick a unit for antelope what would it be? This is our first time hunting in Wyoming so I'm not looking for a huge buck. I'm just looking for a buck. Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-15 AT 08:48PM (MST)[p]Unit 16 has spots along the east side where the Lower Powder River Road hits BLM land. You can park and walk west into a lot of country and probably fill some tags, but you'll be doing some walking and that's the way to hunt antelope anyway IMHO. There are plenty of buck and doe tags in that unit and you can legally buy two buck and four doe tags each.

>Thanks for the input topgun I
>appreciate it. Any other areas
>I should look into with
>bigger chunks of accessible public
>land?

That would be my choice of where I would go based on what you asked about anywhere up in Region C. If you look on a map, there are many square miles of BLM to the west of the road I mentioned. It just will require some walking to where the land opens up into more and more BLM than there is right along the road itself. Just find a legal piece that the road hits, park, and start walking and glassing. You may need to go a mile or so from the road to get into animals or possibly closer in areas where the terrain keeps you from seeing them from the road. They aren't stupid and will look for areas where they can't be seem from the main road traffic in most areas once they start getting shot at and see increased road traffic they aren't use to the rest of the year.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-15 AT 07:02PM (MST)[p]Top gun , I'm looking at the map as I type. I just want to make sure I'm reading it right because I do not see the lower powder road on the map or Google. I think I know what your saying but just to be sure, is the area your talking about accessible off of 195? Also are there any deer in that area?

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-15
>AT 07:02?PM (MST)

>
>Top gun , I'm looking at
>the map as I type.
>I just want to make
>sure I'm reading it right
>because I do not see
>the lower powder road on
>the map or Google. I
>think I know what your
>saying but just to be
>sure, is the area your
>talking about accessible off of
>195? Also are there any
>deer in that area?

That road may also be showing as County Road 273 depending on what map you're looking at. The Powder River is the boundary between 16 and 17 and the road runs up north from Interstate 90 all the way to the town of Arvada. Yes, you could and should be looking for deer in that whole area we're talking about up there to the west of the road.

Just looked at a State Highway map and you turn off at Mile Post #65 on Hwy 90 s/e of Buffalo and drive north to Arvada. Out farther on Hwy 90 at M.P. #80 there is a rest area and that is where the Powder River runs north towards Arvada.

GPS will keep you out of trouble too.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom