Help picking gear for Montana Archery hunt

MrKrabs

I'm going on an archery hunt next year either the last week of September or the first week in October in the Bitterroots. I think I really need to upgrade my insulating and possibly outer layers. I'll probably be wearing REI MTS base layers since they have done so well for me to the last two years.

I have a Cabela's packable raingear bibs and jacket that I'll be taking with me. I was also going to take another set of rain gear. What I have now is Cabela's Rain Suede bibs which is heavy and a Wall's jacket that is worthless. The new Russell APX G2 looks really good, but I'd like to have pit zips in the heavier weight stuff. Of course the Sitka always looks good. Can I get some feedback from you guys on what I should take? I'm limited to 75 total lbs of gear so I need lightweight and multi-functional preferably.

I'm also looking for a sleeping bag. I think either Western Mountaineering or Big Agnes. If there are any bags I could use multi-season (zip out liners kind of thing) I'd like to know what you guys think about them.

Thanks

Ben

Only Multi-Season sleeping bag I know of is the Army Modular Sleep System (which I own) or the Wiggy's multibag system. I have weighed my Modular Sleep System before, at 12+ lbs. Not lightweight by any stretch of the imagination, but it comes with 2 sleeping bags, a gore-tex bivy sack, and a stuff sack, so it eliminates the need for a tent if you use a lightweight sil-tarp. You can pickup the Army Modular Sleep System off of EBAY for about $80-$250 depending on condition. I got mine off of craigslist for about $100. The Wiggy's system was designed for Navy SEALs climbing out of freezing water and getting some shuteye immediately, haven't been able to find one online, but I know they are pretty spendy. You maybe able to get the lightest low temperature bag you can afford and then pickup a couple of silk or fleece liner to stuff into the bag, which will make the bag warmer and also keep the insides cleaner. Everything I have heard about Big Agnes and Western Mountaineering are really good bags, I would have went with something that would have been lighter than my Modular Sleep System, but I had limited funds to spend and needed something that was all encompassing. Hope this helps.
WVBOWAK

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom