HELP-Starting Over, Recommendations

ForkWest

Very Active Member
I've never been able to get decent groups out of my muzzleloader. I've also never really put a lot of time into powder/bullet configurations. Before I give up on the gun I want to give it full hearted effort. You know a clean slate/start from scratch kind deal. It's a 50cal Austin Halleck.

So with that said, where would you start? What powder? Grains of powder (starting point)? Bullets? Other recommendations?

What do you want to hunt with it and at what range do you expect to shoot at game?

What are the regs (loose vs pellets, sabots vs conicals, scopes vs open sights)??

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

All I can speak to is what I have used on elk out to 150 yards. My two loads are 95 gr of BH209 with a 350 gr Hornady FPB in my inline and 90 gr of fffg 777 and a 460 gr bullshop conical in my T/C renegade (percussion sidelock).

I am not sure if your gun would shoot BH209 or not. Someone else should know.

Have never shot a sabot because I hunt only in Colorado, but when I get picked for Utah, will probably try either a barnes or a deep curl in 300 gr sabot.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

My recommendations are: First, get at least 3 different powders and 3 or 4 different bullets. The bullets need to be different brands, not just sizes and shapes, even if they have good or bad reviews. And shoot each bullet at different powder charges with each of the powders. Yes it is time consuming and cost might be more than expected, but it is totally up to your gun. Your gun will tell you what it likes when your group comes together. It takes me about a year to finalize the bullet/powder charge combination.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the antlers that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom