help vortex viper hd vs razor hd spotting scope

jr8fish

hello all. I am in the market for a spotting scope to be used for backcountry deer and elk hunting/scouting and general wildlife viewing/digiscoping.. I have narrowed it down to either the viper hd or the razor hd. I have looked through each scope during bright conditions and they look about the same. I am told the razor doesn't stand out until you are in low light conditions (hunting conditions). I have not looked through either during low light conditions. I have also heard that the razor takes better digiscoping shots. Are the shots obviously that much better from the razor?

A few questions... other than the exterior differences what is different about the razor hd that makes it so much more? They both are listed as hd?

THose of you with field experience with these scopes... in your opinion is the razor hd worth the extra 600 dollars (essentially double the cost)?

The viper hd is completely covered in the rubber material, making it a more rugged scope for an active backcountry hunter?

Anything else you care to share that could help me make a decision?

THanks

Yes it is worth the extra money. The glass in the Viper HD is from China and the Glass from the Razor is from Japan. I think they are both rubber coated and not that it would make a difference since they both would have the VIP warranty. I have used both as my step dad just sold his Viper HD and got the 50mm Razor and even that is better then the Viper HD IMO. I could only imagine that the 65mm Razor would be even better.

Another thing to consider is the eyepiece. You have more options with the Razor and the bayonette style eyepice. There is wide angle and ballistic eyepieces that you cant get for the Viper.

Optics are like women......some are better for YOU than they would be for ME.

Over the past 30 years, I have had the opportunity to look thru every spotting scope on the market, can own any one of them, and I bought the Razor and will never look back. The main factor for ME is the complete lack of edge distortion in the Vortex.

I spend 150+, days a year, in the field, looking thru SOME piece of optical equipment.

Now, like I said, maybe that ain't the scope for you, but I won't trade mine anytime soon.

Just as an aside, I don't believe that a better pair of binos' is available, than my Swaro 10x42's.

My rifle scope preference is almost anything Zeiss builds......I have 2 Conquests, and for me, there is no comparison. I would buy 5 more, if money were not a factor.

No optics company on the planet has mastered all three venues, IN MY OPINION.

"Being an idiot is NOT an art form. Give it up!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom