Help WA Bighorns

ramslam

Please take five minutes of your busy day to help out Washington bighorn sheep.

A proposal made to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) by the Washington Chapter of the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep (WAFNAWS) can be found at "Alternative #1" at the link below.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/wlm_survey/2006-2008_hunting_alternatives.htm

The original proposal included the word "Endowment" so that the increase in application fees for Bighorns, Moose & Goats would go into a species specific endowment fund that allows WDFW to only spend the interest earned. Without specifying the increase in fees goes to an endowment, WDFW would be able to spend the revenue annually which will allow for more short term projects but does little to establish a long-term funding source like an endowment does. Just for reference if the endowment was started 9 years ago and if only $15 of the $25 fee was dedicated to the endowment fund, the bighorn fund would currently have a value of $776,970 and at 5% interest would have provided $38,848 for projects in 2005. Remember since it is an endowment, the interest earned increases every year as the fund grows!

What will benefit the next generation of hunters more? Is it $100,000 this year from the increase in application fees or a lessor amount that continues to increase as the fund grows and will continue to grow long after you and I are gone? The endowment is the right choice. Help me make sure WDFW realizes the application fees need to go into an endowment.

Here's what I need you to do. Choose either "A" or "B" for Alternative #1. If you can afford it choose B, if $10 is more affordable then choose A.

ONE MORE THING! We need to let WDFW know that the increase in fees must go into a species specific endowment fund allowing only the interest to be spent. Please go to "Other Comments" at the very bottom of the survey and take a moment to type in the box that the funds need to go into an endowment.

Here is what I typed, "For Alternative #1 options A & B should specify that the increase in application fees goes to an endowment for that species not just "Income will fund special species management." I only support increasing the application fees if the revenue is put into an endowment where only the interest can be spent. The is an opportunity for WDFW to plan for the future AND establish a reliable, increasing fund source FOREVER through an endowment. In ten years or so the interest available for projects will exceed the new revenues from applications. ENDOWMENT ONLY!"

Feel free to cut and past any of that you need.

Thank you for your help on this very important issue. If you would like to see the graphs and data I have put together for this proposal let me know and I will gladly e-mail it to you.

Yours in Conservation,

Glen A. Landrus
WAFNAWS President

Will do, I'm headed to the meeting tonight. I would be interested in seeing your graphs about how making these changes will improve the odds of actually drawing these tags though. That is one thing I hate about this bonus point system, everybody puts in for everything now. In the early 90's a guy had a 25% chance of drawing a rut hunt for muleys and pretty good odds on sheep, goat and moose as well.

Great question. Odds will only increase if either more sheep permits are allocated (slow to occur) or if fewer people apply. What percent of people will drop out if the application fee goes to $25???? Hard to say...my best guess is around 25%. Although that is a minor decrease, the long term gain from the endowment will hopefully pay off with more tags in the future. This plan is as much an investment in the future of the resource as it is a way to increase odds.

Glen,

I have max points for sheep and 1 shy for moose. I favor more m oney to enhance habitat and study for all 3 species. Whether it is 10 or $25, it will price some guys out of the market. This is unfortunate, but I think in the long run it makes sense in terms of more permits in the future and a healtier population of these animals. I have been blessed with 2 mtn goat permits, and I can say without a doubt there is nothing like having that permit in your hands knowing you are in for the hunt of your life. Thanks for giving us the heads up on this issue!

Bryan

ps

You can expect my call this year when I draw a sheep permit!!!!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-06 AT 08:57PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-06 AT 08:57?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-06 AT 08:56?PM (MST)

I selected A. Not because I cannot afford the 25 dollors but because I believe the general hunting public cannot afford the 25 dollars!!! If you calculate all the Hunting Fee's paid by sportsman in a year,it's not a poor man's sport!!! If you apply in other states?Raffles? You have the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation,The Mule Deer Foundation,the list is endless.

glen if you want to reduces the number of people appling then have them send in the tag fee with application. this way people have to select the game that is most important for them to pursue.as a person saves more money they apply for more tags

We considered that option. One reason we decided against it is WDFW does not want to handle 30,000 refund checks and that application fees would have to increase to simply cover that labor. In addition, it would cost nearly $350 to apply for all three OIL species; granted you would get most back. But for many, it would be simply too expensive.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom