Help Win70 or CZ550 .375 H&H

Bill_in_MI

Help me buy a new gun!

I am looking to buy a .375 H&H in a reasonably priced range.

I have found a pair gently used options: Win Model 70 Classic (CRF) wood stock and stainless and a CZ 550 Safari blued/walnut.

They are priced within 100.00 of each other.

Which would you choose and why?

Lastly, the CZ can be had with a dropped/angled stock or the american/straight version. Is there a difference in percieved recoil with one or the other, or is there some other benefit to one design?

Reliability, function, value, fit, finish, resale?

Thx
Bill

If you get the CZ and it's a great rifle get the american stock not the hogback. The hogback stock will give you more muzzle rise on recoil, that used to be the only style stock on the 550. Most americans didn't care for it and that's why they came out with the "american" or straight stock.

Between those two guns I prefer the model 70 because it's lighter and handles better plus the 3 position safety is more natural for most shooters than cz's backwards safety. The plus on the CZ is in 375 it holds 5+1 rounds. AHR does a lot of modifications to the CZ if you go that route.

Handle them both, try the safeties and work the bolts, the winnie will probably feel like a smoother bolt stroke but the CZ's can be smoothed up quite a bit. For me the CZ stock feels a little to thick near the action but they are both great guns.

I agree on the M-70. I think you will like it better and value will hold for it better if you take care of it.

RELH

Thx guys, the Win was sold under me today. Looking hard at the CZ now. I've read a number of good reviews online about them. Chuck Hawks seems to like them.

Bill

Unless your headed out on a safari right away I'd keep looking, and if you are I'd still keep looking because if you're after dangerous game I'd rather not have a CZ.

Check out gunsamerica there are 375's in all kinds of makes and they're not hot items so you can probably find a deal or two.

I had a chance to buy a brand new Safare grade M70 in .375 on the clearance rack. That was about a month before they shut down production. Still regret that one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom