Help with judging an Antelope

Nebtex

I've been chasing this goat for four years on my private ground, with a bow. I've had the privilege of watching him closely pre season every year. This year I finally got a ten minute video of him with my video camera, and prior to that, an iPhone pic of him as well. I've never shot a goat, so I'm not sure what he will score, but with our history together, getting him down this year would be amazing.

The first and third picture are the same goat. The second picture is of a goat I got on my trail camera recently. Can't decide if both goats r the same or different animals.

Would greatly appreciate a little insight.

Happy hunting!!!

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/91399image.jpeg

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/10059image.jpeg

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/76705image.jpeg

The Trophy is in the Eye of the Beholder!

I Wouldn't Shoot Him!

But that's just me!

I Like Lot's of Curl on a Speedgoat!

But again that's just me!

If He's what you like/what you're looking for Lower the Boom on Him and don't worry about the Score!

[font color="blue"]dude has his Resume turned in to be Hillary's
Intern[/font]

i would let him grow. imagine what he could be and then the history youll have after those few years.

"Shoot Straight"

The second picture looks like the same goat to me. I agree with the other post, if you like him shoot him. If I was scoring on the hoof my guess would be somewhere around hi 60's maybe 70. 14x2 length, 4.5x2 prong, 16x2 mass = 69. The best part of the story for sure is your 4 year history with him. To keep tabs on an animal for that long and then finally harvest him is no easy feat and that alone would make him a trophy for me.

If you have hunted this same buck for four years, he is as big as he'll ever be now. That's a mature buck in the low 70's.

>If you have hunted this same
>buck for four years, he
>is as big as he'll
>ever be now. That's a
>mature buck in the low
>70's.

Agree 100% with jm77!

I agree. Low 70's buck. If he was about the same size the past 3-4 years, he isn't growing much more. You can have goats with great genetics that are 3 1/2 years old make book.

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder. Is he one of the better goats on the unit? If so take him. Good luck.

P&Y is only 64 (I think) so he's a "book" pronghorn, if that matters to you at all and, like jm77 said, he's as big as he'll get if he's that old.

I would shoot him with my bow and I have shot several with a sharp stick that officially score in the high 60's to mid 70's.

My best guess is 70" or just above and he'd make a beautiful mount.

There's my 2 cents,
Zeke

I appreciate the responses!!! I can honestly say he has looked the same size for the majority of the last three years. Had him at 70 yards in 2014 but he busted me. Pre season he just hangs around fairly close to the headquarters here. I've been hunting another goat for the last 3 that is identical, except he almost touches in the middle, with no curl. And I saw him two weeks ago as well. Usually loaded with 50 to 60 goats this time of year. But the best thing is I got a video and pictures finally!!! I have a 360 elk, tons of muleys, now just need a goat on the wall!!! Here's a complimentary picture of elk I shot in 2013

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/85454image

Congrats on a fine bull. The others are right on in their scores for the antelope. I'm surprised he'd be there and stay pretty much unchanged for 4 years. That's a long time for no change. Looks like good country and hope you get a solid speed goat for your wall.

He is a nice buck, but I doubt he scores more than the low 70's. Give him another year or two and he will be a great buck. He would be hard to pass on as a bow hunter in most units.

The buck in the second picture looks like the same buck as the first and third pictures to me.

Dillon
www.dillonhoyt.com

I agree with the posters a 70" or in that area antelope. I'm a little curious the terrain and some of the characteristics of that lope remind me of Nebraska is it by chance a Nebraska lope? If it is it is definitely above average in many parts of the state, good luck and have fun.

Sandhills of Nebraska right up against the Halsey forest. We have had a lease on it for 75 years. South of Thedford. Damn fine goat. Chances of me bagging him r good now but wait til season opens, he will awaken, I know him!!!

I think this buck is right around 67". Everything on him is just ok. None of the measurements stand out that would drive his score up. His mass is lacking. Especially above the prong. That being said, if you like him, kill him!

>I agree with the posters
>a 70" or in that
>area antelope. I'm a
>little curious the terrain and
>some of the characteristics of
>that lope remind me of
>Nebraska is it by chance
>a Nebraska lope? If
>it is it is definitely
>above average in many parts
>of the state, good luck
>and have fun.

Wow! What a great eye for the country. I didn't even notice a thing about the surroundings and you nailed it.
Zeke

Nebtex. I thought so the lack of curl, small prongs, and a general lack of mass are pretty indicative of that area I live south of Halsey and hunt the area just south of the forest as well. Good luck I think he's as good as any I've seen in that area in the 40 years I've hunted there. I really wish we could import some genetics from Wyoming, New Mexico or Arizonia very seldom does an 80" antelope come from NE. but a fun area to hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom