help!

northwyohunter

LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-09 AT 05:40PM (MST)[p]A little help would be great! We have been out calling coyotes several times and have had no luck! Each time out we have called several stands and some of which were in areas that we were successful last year. We are calling using rabbit distress as well as howling. We can get answers back when we howl, but they never come in. We are in camo and set up with the wind in our face and getting good cover. Any tips and pointers would be appreciated! Thanks!

I don't have any tips or pointers-sounds like you're doing everything right. You just need to know that you're not going to have a call in on every set. Heck if you had a call in on half of your stands, you would be ahead of the game. Keep at it and "pay your dues." The next time out you might have a hey-day. Do you know dogs are in the area? Right before dark or light, hit it with a loud siren. If dogs are there, they will answer you, then you can set up and try to call them in. Also, by now they've probably been called in and shot at or busted the hunters which now will make them tougher to call in. If you are getting answers to your howls, but no call-ins, try a challenge howl or a pup distress. I guess I did have a few pointers, good luck.
Nate

use a good scent killer. change your call sequence. after you call wait 10 mins. i have never had a answer to my howls but i have many called in. be completely still and quite. if you smoke cigs, dont(i always screw this one up)

keep at it.

the up side to not having any dogs come in is i see alot of deer. some times they react to my predator call some time they just carry on about their business

All the above is good advice also you should call longer ,stay at stand longer some smart dogs will stand out there as long as the last time just waiting for his eyes to confirm what his mind is telling him as for howling i never howl unless howled at then i howl back then immediatly go into a mock coyote fight then right back to my original sound also if possible for flat land try to do drop calls they generally dont associate the sound if they se a vehicle come and go just some stuff iv learned and used in my 18 years of calling good luck!!!!!

kody

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-09
>AT 05:40?PM (MST)

We are in
>camo and set up with
>the wind in our face

I suspect that's why you aren't seeing anything. Coyotes are notorious for using the wind to their favor. They circle downwind which is behind you. Of course you won't see them. Try to set up where the downwind side is wide open or blocked by terrain features such as deep water, steep cliffs, highway, etc. When hunting with a partner sit back to back.

Life's too short to hunt with ugly calls.

Try putting your shooter 200 yards downwind of your call. By this I mean use a cross wind left to right or right to left of the caller and call for thirty minutes then sit and glass for another five or ten my guess is these coyotes have been educated pretty well but keep at it it will happen for ya. I have been more sucessfull using the cross wind method on my downwind flank than ever the wind in my face. But thats just me.

northwyohunter, Hey sounds like you are calling to an educated crowd to me, especially if they are howling back at you but not responding to your distress sound. I would try to find a less called territory and go back to the old one at the very beginning of the season next year and take out some the young dumb ones that are new to the game. and like longshooter said use a cross wind instead of in your face so if they circle around you they won't wind you.

GOOD LUCK!!

Hunting is Life...everything else is
Just details.
4b13d65544443c84.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom