Henry Mtn Cow Buffalo Help

Sliverslinger400

Buddy of mine drew a cow buffalo tag down on the Henrys. He thought he had some located but is having a rough go at it. Any help locating a few would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Jake

Which hunt did your buddy draw? I too drew this year. I have been on few December cow only hunts and been successfull each time. I don't plan on scouting until november. We have killed on the cave flat area. Fairly difficult but we ended up tracking them.

RE: Henry Mtn Cow Buffalo Help - camping

Hey I also have a tag. Looking for a good place to camp. Will be taking the RV. Don't mind a few miles of gravel road but can not handle any rough stuff. My Hunt is between Christmas and New Years. Will have an ATV or 4x4 to get around with, maybe even a horse or two.

Going to get scouting next month, but need a place for base camp. Any other ideas info would be appreciated. I have some topomaps, so you can give me canyon names or township/section numbers or GPS coords for camping or hunting spots.

Thanks much!!

Tatonka oh wa chi,
You better find some snow machines that late in the year. brrrrr. I will get the maps out and point out a couple good areas. I like the east side of the unit. Wheelers are good but too much snow can make it tough.

Her RudiJ:

Look forward to your ideas. Have been going over the topos, but just need to get down there. Maybe next weekend.

Not sure when your hunt is. We will be going donw on the 4th of Nov for the either sex hunt. Funny thing about them critters you can find them the night before you hunt and they might be 6 miles away by morning. On one such hunt we found 6 different herds the night before the hunt by morn they were all gone.
I heard of a bunch hanging out a couple days ago just west of Hanksville in the flats on the No side of Ellen. Who is going down for the first Either Sex hunt. Might see ya down there.

Rutnbuck

Hey Rutnbuck: I am coming down to do some scouting. Will be on a KTM motorcycle. Are you camping? Care to share the location? If I find some, I will let you know if I see you.

Tatonka
Wes T.

I am not sure what a KTM motorcycle is, but we will be camping! Probably on Apple Brush just off the main road to the North. If weather gets bad might be out by the Swap Ranch intersection. We will have a Rhino and copper colored Avalanche, and white Chevy. Lets hook up I can give ya some heads up! Do you have a strong back?? If we get lucky could use some help!! Couple things bison don't like motorcycles/Avalanche/or Rhinos. LOL. And Buffalo hump bone makes excellent knife handles. Very rare grey bone. Rutnbuck

Any luck with scouting trips? I haven't been down yet. I have a friend that went down yesterday. When is your hunt. I have heard they have been scattered.

Hey Kelly:

Did you find any buffalo? Thanks so much for showing me some ideas and letting us hang out at your camp. Looks like I will head down the day after Christmas and stay till Jan 1, unless I get something early on. May just camp by Sand Ranch, either on Notom road or before it drops down into the creek. Saw another guy in a good spot there when I was down.

Wes.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-09 AT 02:15PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-09 AT 01:16?PM (MST)

I harvested a 114 inch buffalo bull on saturday. I was in the middle of buffalo all day. They are all over Ellen on the north east side by the school bus... contrary to what everyone was saying they are still up high. I think we saw about 70 head on Saturday alone. I would recommend you camp in the applebrush area and go up to the top by bull creek pass and look at the tops and down in all those canyons. There is also a nice spot where we bumped into about 15 head right off the road on the trail that goes through McMillan campground, clear until the road almost ends, there are a couple old fence pieces still up... thats the spot, they love it in there. One last spot, go to the turn off that goes to Birch Springs, follow that road to the right... there are several open fields on the right side of the road, we saw them there all summer and fall. There is onefield that drops in elevation by about 100 feet, they visit there daily, about 13 in that herd. BE AWARE THAT THEY ARE TERRIFIED OF ATV'S AND MOTORCYCLES RIGHT NOW!!! DRIVE YOUR TRUCK TO THOSE PLACES IF YOU CAN, THE SECOND THEY HEAR THE ATV'S THEY ARE GONE!!!

4b0d907c52d969a9.jpg

Hey Tatonka. Like Rbon said. Lot off Buffs up high. Things might change if weather hits hard. Most likely later in the year however I have seen them pushing 3 foot of snow up high in Jan. . Yeah rimrock did get his bull. Took us a few days due to the fact we had to stay pretty close to the road. You can read the whole story in Campfire. We were in Buff most every day. You still have my # call me or stop by. Way nice bull Rbon. Nice pic thanks for shareing. Rutnbuck

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom