Henry Mtns Bison

predator

Very Active Member
Hey all- my BFF at 60 years old has drawn the November hunt. Id love to talk with previous hunters or anyone in the know to help him better understand what he's gotten himself in to, and whether or not this hunt is something we can do DIY or better off guided.

Thanks in advance!

Preddy

Do you have access to horses? I imagine it would be nice to have them for covering lots of country...and packing out a bison! If you don't have them you may want to go with an outfitter or at least find one that is willing to pack out your bison? If not, I'd find a bunch of friends/family that have weak minds and strong backs!

Wish your friend luck on the hunt. How many points did he have? I have 18 and put in for a point only because I have other things going on this year.
Thanks
Bill

Pred,
I have never hunted Buff on that mountain, but I know some who have. They tell me that despite the fact that a Bison is big and black, they can sometimes be very difficult to locate, especially once the shooting begins. Like any hunt, it might be hit or miss, but after waiting that long for a tag, hiring a guide is probably not a bad option. I would find that especially handy should a ton of meat hit the ground several miles from the nearest road. PM me if you want some guide references.
Congrats to your friend, and you for helping.

Thanks LBH, I appreciate your response. It sounds like the biggest issue for us right now is retrieval/processing.

I have spent some time in the star, but not for years. All I know is that I once found some of the wooly beasties clear down off Tarantula Mesa.

I helped a buddy down there last year and we had a great hunt. We saw lots of bison and he got a nice bull. We found the majority of the bison on Mt. Pennell. He shot his bull in a hard spot but we boned it out and we got it all out in one hard trip! Get ready for a great hunt on an amazing mountain range.

We just had five guys with more muscles than brains and 5 frame packs and we got it all out on our backs. It was quite the load and I'm just finally recovering from the hike out;)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom