Here is my set up!!

2pointer

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-10 AT 07:03PM (MST)[p]Thanks for everyone that has given me advice and input from your experiences. Here are some pictures of my new bow.

Hoyt Maxxis 31
Trophy ridge wisker bisquit rest
Sure Loc 4 pin slider sight
4" fuse stabalizer
2 piece fuse, 6 arrow quiver.

I call him Cotton....:)

IMG_4642.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4640.jpg

IMG_4639.jpg

IMG_4638.jpg

2Pointer
www.jglowblinds.com

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-10 AT 12:31PM (MST)[p]that looks like a sweet set up...but i am curious though...you spend so much money on a great set up and go with a cheap whisker biscuit??...why not step up to a drop away?...

Mathews Z7
CX Maxima Hunter 350
Sure Loc Single pin
Grim Reaper Broadheads

I looked at thee drop away rests, but honestly am not sold on them. I love the way a wisker bisquit holds my arrows steady while moving around (hunting).

I am open to suggestions though.

2Pointer
www.jglowblinds.com

In my opinion, I do agree with you about holding your arrow while hunting/hiking, but I think there are many disadvantages to them. They are aweful on your fletchings, and they do slow your arrow down. I'm not sure how much, but it does slow it down. Ultimately it is you that has to be happy with your setup, and you have nothing to not be happy about, your bow is pimpin, it's just that everything on your bow is top dollar and top of the line, and then you have a beginners rest. That's the only reason anyone said anything. If you like how your arrow is held, check out the QAD, or the new ripcord. They enclose your arrow. I recommend any drop away. Limb driver is a good one, and probably the one I'm going with. Just remember, it ultimately doesn't matter what we say. Just get confidence it what you have, and really that's all you need.

that whole set up screams high performance until you get to the biscuit. I guarantee you it is like putting a 1" exhaust system on a chipped dodge diesel truck.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

Thanks guys!! I honestly did not even think much about the rest. I have shot the WB for years and thought I would stick with it. It sounds like I get to have some more fun while I check out other rest options.

Thanks again!

2Pointer
www.jglowblinds.com

While I am personally not a WB fan, I cannot call it a beginners rest. I know of several very experienced and successful hunters who swear by that rest.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-10 AT 11:02AM (MST)[p]So here is the deal. I have talked to several people about rests and have got just as many opinions on them. I chronographed my bow with a drop away rest and only gained 1 FPS. NOT a big deal. As far as accuracy goes.... I am getting excellent groups out to 50 yards. Maybe at longer ranges they might spread out, but that could be me not the rest.
As far as the fletchings go, I have not noticed them wearing out at all. I have only shot about 400-500 shots through this bow, but I have not noticed any fletching damage.

I am sticking with the bisquit for now. Honestly part of me wanted to find a good reason to try a drop away, I just could not find a good reason to do so.

Thanks for all of your input, it was fun to go around shopping for a different rest. But, like I said, I will be sticking with my WB(this year).

2Pointer
www.jglowblinds.com

I like the WB too. Its nice on spot and stalk hunts, because your arrows is not moving anywhere! If you shoot with blazers, it won't mess them up, but if you use the fletchings, after a few hundred shots they get kinda wavey. Thats just what i've noticed anyways.

I would say do what you want and not to worry much about anything else, its your money do what you want. I have 2-bowtech commanders that have ripcords on them, and one 82nd that currently has a ripcord rest. I just recently picked up the 82nd with intentions of making it my primary hunting bow. I have a new WB hanging on the shelf. Each day I think the WB needs a try on the 82nd. There are potential failures that can come form a drop away that a WB will never have. When you hike off the side of Mt Nebo chasing elk the last thing you need it a problem. In fact I always try to remember to have a WB in my bow bag just incase I have trouble. The WB is harder on the fletching but it's not a big deal. Chuck Adams says to KEEP IT SIMPLE?. The WB is simple with an extra low chance of potential failure. Oh and last year in a indoor league the guy next to me shot a 299 and was about a tenth of an inch from having a 300 with a WB. Good luck and that's a sweet bow.

I used to shoot a bisquit, other than being hard on fletching and slowing the arrow down 2 fps they're just as accurate as anything else. Here, watch this short video

First off.....nice set-up!

I'll tell you......I used to be one of those anti-Whisker Biscuit folks......used to say the only thing good with a biscuit was gravy not whiskers........I shot Trophy Taker for years, including a few others. Finally my hunting partner (state 3D champion several years) had one of them on his hunting bow.......said he was testing it out. I watched as he consistently shot a 3" group (with broadheads) at 80 yards. Well there goes the accuracy theory.

After experiencing a malfunction with my TT that cost me a P&Y deer in the high-country (draw cord caught on brush, slipped down, causing the launcher to not fully extend).....I decided to test it as well. I haven't looked back since......and none of the animals seem to notice the difference either. :)

My report:

PROS:

As accurate as my fall-away rest was.

Absolutely NO moving parts to worry about in the back country.

The new aluminum housing version is absolutely bomb proof.

Full containment.

CONS:

2-3 fps slower than my TT.

Recommend only shooting Blazer vanes with the rest.....as the shorter profile vanes lasts forever if set-up correctly.....longer version vanes tend to show wear.

Again, cool looking bow......if the rest shoots well for you, let the others report what they've "heard" and not what they've experienced......trust me, I used to be one of them. JMO

BOHNTR )))---------->

Im not a fan of the biscuit.... They are loud and they wear out. After a while the bristles start to wear out and your having to replace the biscuit every year or less... if you shoot alot. I personally shoot a Rip cord on my pse x force and of all the rests ive used its been my favorite. Its a full containment rest so you will never knock an arrow off the rest and its much more quiet than a whisker biscuit. I also like the QAD utlra rest for its full containment but its more expensive than the rip cord. The last thing I've seen go wrong with the whisker biscuit is if conditions are cold the bristles on the whisker biscuit get cold and stiff and obvioulsly effect accuracy and noise. Also if you are hunting in the rain or snow and there gets to be moisture in the bristles it makes things really interesting and then if its cold and it turns into ice.. well you're screwed. LOL just my two cents.

Coloradoboy

just for everybody's info I shot Wisker for years and changed to a drop away and my bow is only 1 fps faster with the drop away. So saying the wisker is slower 1 fps doesnt change much!

Great looking bow...!! If I had the money...

As far as your rest goes, I love my whisker biscuit, but the problems listed above about refletching and slowing your arrows are valid concerns I think. This link is to a rest that I am considering purchasing as it would give you the arrow security and your fletching would not be affected or slow the arrow down. Take a look.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...74_TGP&parentType=index&indexId=cat20074&rid=

Do any of you guys out there use a rest like this, and does it solve the concerns with the Whisker Biscuit..?

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I prefer the QAD Ultra Pro HD rest for a drop away. My dad and brothers shoot the biscuit, not a bad rest. With a bow that nice, I would upgrade to the drop away.

The nice thing about the QAD Pro, the arrow is locked into the shooting position, similar to the biscuit. In my mind, it has the best of both; a drop away and the arrow can't get away from you while you are stalking...

2Pointer the bottom line is you go with what you are confident with I dont care if it is a twig glued to the side of your bow if it works for your confidence go with it. who cares if the rest doesnt fit the rest of your set up, which is a matter of opinion anyway, just do what works for you. Dont get caught up in what the popular thing is and give in because someone thinks its a cheap or beginner rest, you do what works for you and that is all that matters. The debates will go on no matter what rest you use so if it works stick with it. Just my opinion.

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-10
>AT 07:03?PM (MST)

>
>Thanks for everyone that has given
>me advice and input from
>your experiences. Here are
>some pictures of my new
>bow.
>
>Hoyt Maxxis 31
>Trophy ridge wisker bisquit rest
>Sure Loc 4 pin slider sight
>
>4" fuse stabalizer
>2 piece fuse, 6 arrow quiver.
>
>
>I call him Cotton....:)
>
>
IMG_4642.jpg

>
>
IMG_4641.jpg

>
>
IMG_4640.jpg

>
>
IMG_4639.jpg

>
>
IMG_4638.jpg

>2Pointer
>www.jglowblinds.com
Awsome Set

2pointer, that is a great looking setup.

BrowningRage,
I have a Hostage rest on my bow, which came with it already installed. I didn't pick this rest, but I haven't been disappointed enough to feel the need to replace it. It does have it's own pros and cons.

It does have the full containment of the biscuit, without decreasing speed. I am able to keep very tight groups, there is no issue with shot precision.

The biggest downside to this rest is that the bristles wear out. The bottom insert's bristles will slowly wear out, and as they get shorter, accuracy will be slightly affected. It's not a big deal though, as soon as you start to notice it, you can just rotate them, putting one of the other two on bottom. You can also buy replacement inserts. I've shot an estimated 1000+ shots and have not yet needed to buy new inserts. Also, after a lot of shooting, I've noticed a black stripe forming at the base of my blazer vanes (where they contact the shaft) from the bristles rubbing.

Nocked N Loaded

I shot a WB for quite a few years. What got me to change was losing a nice buck while hunting out of a ground blind. I was completely busted while drawing back due to the noise. I now know there are some ways to cure this, steel wool, lube etc. But alone they are noisy. I switched to a Limbdriver and love it but I often consider trying a WB again do to the simplicity of it.

LAST EDITED ON May-08-10 AT 02:06PM (MST)[p] i agree that is one good looking bow up until the wb. besides the loss of speed, noise, and arrow fletching damage. i was also told that the biscuit, has no forgiveness if you have any torque in anyway the arrow can be slightly deflected. where on the other hand with a drop away rest the arrow is already in flight once it leaves the string, rather than actually having to pass through the biscuit wich has full contact on the arrow.

Say what you want about WB. I love mine. I have tried to convince myself to try a drop away and everytime I go into different bow shops they convince me to stay with what I got. Being told the WB does this or dosent do that is one thing, but having your own experience shooting a WB is the only way you can hand out sound advice.

Great looking set-up!!

In regards the the WB, it sounds like you're sticking with it because you have confidence in it, and that's absolutely the right decision.

The WB gets a bad rap from the "expers", but it's a very solid rest.

Listening to anything BOHNTR has to say would be wise as well...

the 3 animals i killed last yr didnt like my WB either. and slowing the arrow down is a joke, a lot of my friends have started shooting 60 pound bows because of the speed of these new bows. (a pass threw is a pass threw my friends) is there really a huge difference between 308 and 310 ft per sec?
love the WB and have shot drop aways before, save your money and keep the WB

For you guys shooting the WB do you shoot straight fletch? & mechanicals?

I ask because I shoot blazers but I prefer fixed blade broad heads so I put as much helical as I can get on my blazers. How do you think the helical would work with the WB? or is that a no no?

I've always been skeptical about the WB but you guys are changing my mind.

LAST EDITED ON May-25-10 AT 01:35PM (MST)[p]completesportsman,
I shoot a Whisker Biscuit rest and fletch my arrows with 2" blazer vanes with as much helical as possible using a Jo-Jan Arrow Fletcher. I also shoot fixed blade broadheads (G5 Montec) and have had no problems with my setup at all. The helical has not been a problem for me through the whisker biscuit. Just make sure your nock alignment is correct to ensure your vanes do not contact the thicker black bristles on the rest.

One tip that helps to give your fletchings extra life through the whisker biscuit is to get some Bohning Fletch-Tite glue and tack down the front and back of your fletchings with a little drop of glue. I have never had a fletching come off shooting through the Whisker Biscuit when doing this (damaging fletchings by hitting them with tight groups is another story however :))

i also shoot 2" with a helical, fixed blade (shuttle T) with only a 2" vain there really isnt that much curve to them.

The loss of speed is a non-factor.... I took my wisker off and put on a drop away QAD and there was only 1ft per second difference in the two rests...I like the wisker but thought I would try the drop away... I think I like the wisker better for spot and stock!

Even though I had no real intention of changing my rest, it is nice to hear that some of you have had the same experience as me. I am a big fan of the WB. The only real drawback I have heard is when you are hunting in cold, wet conditions. That does not apply to me as I hunt southern Utah, in August.

I am loving my new set up and look forward to posting my monster muley killed with it this fall.

2Pointer
www.jglowblinds.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom