Here you go Paul, per your request for pics of the scout and hunt

Bruinbrewin

Here you go Paul,
I was seeing a decent 6X6 bull at night a half dozen times but come July 24th after all the rain he never came back to the water source.
8361pict0010.jpg

I did see a few other critters though.
3312pict0019.jpg

4913pict0042.jpg

3011pict0008.jpg

2752pict0006.jpg

As I posted in the Elk forum, I was not seeing any elk after July 24th so I moved up the road 4-5 miles to a new area and turns out it was a great decision as I was able to score on this bull the second day. Not sure why the camera date shows the first but I got this on the second day. best of luck to everyone else! :)
8523img_0054.jpg

9211img_0053.jpg

BB

That's a wide bull bb! Congrats on him!

I just call em as I see em!

Nice Bull and some good pics. Wished we could have found a bear.
Was he bugling or did you get him on water?

Thanks Paul, The bulls are just starting to make some noise as it is still very warm. I found him from the couple of bugles I heard the night before but when he came in to me the next morning he was totally quiet. I saw his dark brown legs coming through the trees and I just kept hoping that once I could see his head that he would be a pretty bull and I got my wish. Right now I'm trying to get my body to heal from all the extra work that I don't normally do at 54 years young. I'm beginning to wonder if I AM GETTING TO OLD FOR THIS STUFF! That trying to skin and quarter the beast by yourself is no fun but I would take that over the pack out any day! I wish someone had been there to video the comedy of me trying to break the bull down! I got a large bruise on one bicep where one of his hind legs slipped out of my hand while I was skinning under that quarter. Believe it or not a retired bull still got a good lick in on me to just remind me that he still had something left in him for the fight!
BB

I forgot to answer your question Paul, no he was not on water but he was within a mile of water. I was doing some mild calling and got his curiosity up I guess.
BB

Been there done that. Trying to haul a bull out on my own.
Amazing how much of a difference it is just to have someone to hold a leg.

LOL, had my share of my bad experiences, but, most of them have been self inflicted with my own knife.

BB that a good bull I like how Wide he is.
I tied off a leg a few years ago to a small tree well I was quartering out a bull and Whack I got hit along side the head thought some-one had punched me, the rope came loose and the hoof cut my ear and gave me a mild headache.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-10 AT 02:43PM (MST)[p]LOL, I'm sure you can smile about it now Gator, those are some of the best memories and stories to share since there was really no harm done and you can hopefully let others know to be careful and stay focused on the task at hand! I just chuckled a little right after it happened thinking I had better be more careful so I don't get one upside the head and knock myself out. :) Here are a few more scenery pics from my scouting trips preparing for the hunt. I am sure glad I did not find much elk sign back in some of these areas as I would have just had to sit back in there those 4 miles and eat that bull until it was gone!
BB
2016picture_046.jpg

630picture_047.jpg

4782picture_049.jpg

A beautiful spring I found about 4 miles in
3480picture_051.jpg

687picture_052.jpg

A nice little wollow I happened upon
7532picture_059.jpg

3869picture_062.jpg

A few additional photos of the fruits of my labor
701picture_069.jpg

8173picture_070.jpg

3854picture_073.jpg

Just noticed that buck looks like a whitetail? How often do you guys see them or get pics on your cams up there? I saw 2 whitetail does in 34 a couple years back and it was just hard to believe.

I just call em as I see em!

You are right Horn,
That is a Coues buck and I feel pretty confident that the doe is a Coues whitetail as well since I have never seen a muley in that immediate area. All of the other deer I have seen from that area are Coues so it would tend to lean towards that the doe is as well. They are pretty awesome critters and I have a tag for a FAWT as well this year along with a Barbary tag and saving best for last I have an Nov-Dec Arizona Desert Bighorn tag. After nothing but archery Javelina tags for the last 5 years I was vindicated by the tags gods this year.
Here is another of the Coues bucks I had on film
BB

6315pict0034.jpg

3986pict0051.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom