Hey Fatrooster

I went to Florida and just got back last week. Went on my first shed trip of the year. Parked the ATV and about 100 yards off the road Daisy digs up a three point that was completely buried in the snow. I'd specifically been working on burying antlers in the snow around the house and having her find them for the last month. So about an hour later we were side hilling a mountain, I was high and Daisy was low and we were on dry ground. Daisy comes towards me and gets up underneath and on the off side of some sage brush and comes back out with a big two point that was a couple of years old only 10 feet from me. I only had two or three hours to shed hunt and thats all we got. Unless you want to count all of the deer legs , skulls and jaw bones that Daisy dug up from under the snow, ha ha. Daisy-2, fatrooster-0.
Thanks for asking and I'll keep ya'll posted. fatrooster.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-13 AT 07:47PM (MST)[p]That is cool! I need to get me a shed dog. Will she find fresh brown horns?

Dr Hunter, the answer is yes. She finds fresh brownies, whites, greenies from algie, deadheads, elk sheds, muley sheds, white tail sheds, moose sheds, reindeer sheds, leg bones, spinal columns, ribs, pelvises from cattle, skulls of all shapes and sizes. Anything that has something to do with bone. And she's a great companion. Here she is bringing me a brownie from two years ago.
012-1.jpg

fatrooster.

Due to a knee injury and house repairs I haven't had the chance to get out much this year. Plus, I've got a new pup this year and it has definitely handicapped Daisy. Nevertheless, Daisy is still beating me with 2 deadheads and 9 sheds. I have 1 deadhead and 7 sheds. Here is the best deadhead, a 26" wide 4x4 found by me.

Then on the next trip Daisy came out of a brush pile with an extra large deer leg. I sent her back in there and she came out with this 2x4 deadhead.

Our last trip ended with Daisy finding this 3x4 deadhead and both of us finding antlers to get where we are now. Hope everybody is having a great shed season. fatrooster.

My plan is to get up a pup next year. I have trained a few bird dogs but never thought about training a shed dog until recently.
I will have to pick your brain a little next Spring.

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

I gave up on Daisy having pups. She's 6 years old now and just wouldn't stand still long enough to let the stud do his thing.
Pup is not doing that well but its not her fault. Too many things occupying my time and I'm not doing my job to train her. I mainly got her for Daisy. My other two dogs came up missing and Daisy went into deep depression. I got this pup to keep her company and it worked even thoiugh she drives Daisy crazy, lol.
Dr_Hunter, your always welcome to pick my brain.
fatrooster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom