Hey RELH

Apexmtnman

Remember that 03 Springfield I was going to build a 25-06 out of. Well here it is;

4a382f6040321160.jpg

4a382fdc4507e867.jpg

24 inch Douglas barrel, Jaeger trigger, Bell and Carlson stock, Leupold 6.5x20 LR Target scope. Shot a few handloads out of it the other day and my best 3 shot group was about 7/8" at 100 yards. That was a max load of IMR 4831 with 117 grain Sierra spitzer boattails.
I will work up some other loads to see if I can't tighten up the groups a little more this summer.

Not RELH, but neat build.

an older gent that lives near me has a pair of "farmerised" '03's i have been trying to get off him for years now. for some reason i feel i need one?

I havent looked into it much, but what do they have in the way of cocking kits and shrouds for aftermarket purchase? i'd hate to replace the pin an the '03, it is part of the eye appeal to me, but is that rig ##### on open with the factory shroud and pin? two stage?

Deer and pronghorns better look out. Very good looking buildup. Now why don't you send that beauty to me for some load development. I promise to get it back in a few years!!!
My best loads with the 117gr. Sierra was with IMR-4350 powder. Start at 49 gr. and work up to 51 gr. I am willing to bet you will find a 1/2 incher in there with that Douglas barrel.

RELH

My load was 52 grains of IMR 4831, I might have to back off a little to tighten up my group.
Reddog
They used to make a firing pin and spring replacement for the Springfield to improve the lock time, but I don't know if they are still available. I am using the original pin and spring and yes it cocks on open, It is the Enfield that cocks on close. With the Jaeger trigger it is not two stage, nice and crisp and about 3 lbs.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-09 AT 05:13PM (MST)[p]Brownells may still carry the light weight firing pin and extra powered spring for the Springfield. I have bought several from them in the past but it has been over 10 years.

RELH

I forgot to tell you. My best accuracy was with that Sierra bullet ogive seated about 15 thousands from the lands in the barrel. It would give consistant 1/2 inch groups and the occasional 3/8 to 1/4 inch at 100 yards for 3 shots. Now the real big surprise, that was with the factory Interarms Mark-V barrel. Never did swap that barrel out for a Shilen.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom