High Country Mule Deer

muleninja

What units could hunting for high country mule deer be done in NM? I am thinking backpacking in with archery tackle. Unit 45, 53? Have you done this or know someone who has in NM. I always read articles and see tv shows from CO and WY, UT, but never NM.

Unit 53 for sure. Saw the largest deer I have ever seen on the hoof during my BH Sheep hunt. Two in particular were extremely large. When they ran from us the ?small? one hit his antlers between two rocks. I went up and put my arrow between the two rocks and still had 3? to spare. I shoot a 29? arrow so the small guy had to be at least 32? or so. The big one had at least 6? in spread on him and was just as tall as he was wide. We had deer tags so we stalked them for 3 hours, but only got to about 150? yards. They were well above tree line and stayed up there even when they ran from us. We saw several other very nice deer, but nothing quite that big. PM me if you want specific info. I am more than happy to share where we were seeing them as I do not plan on dragging my fat butt up there. I would have a stroke if I tried it now?..

Shhhh! there are no mule deer in NM anymore....and the elk are small...LOL
45,53 and a few other units with mtn. ranges offer this type of hunting.There are many peaks over 9/10k,all the way up too 13k.Some have micro climates and alpine conditions. Even in the SW.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom