Hill Ranch RFW

E

ElkScout

Anyone hunted this? Is it worth the 17 PPs? Since I doubt there is much competition to draw with 17 points required, feel free to reply with your opinions here instead of privately.

I'm just curious. Thanks in advance!

ElkScout
Colorado Springs, CO

never hunted it or been there. but researched it some. Expect 330 - 350 type bulls, there may be some bigger, but they harvest quite a few bulls there and on surrounding ranches, if I were a resident with enough points I'd try it.

I've heard a lot of rumors concerning land ownership and the Baca land grant and trespassing. Don't know if the rumors are true, but I'd find out before spending 17 pp.

I have two friends who have hunted it, or friends of friends I should say. One killed a 300 class bull (shot the wrong one). The other guy killed a 340+ and was disappointed he didnt hold out for a bigger bull because they saw two or three others that were bigger while retrieving their dead bull. One was a 390 bull that was killed soon after they were there. I have several friends who have hunted 201 and not killed anything close to whats on this ranch from what I understand. If I had 17-18 points this is where Id be going. Gary

A good friend of mine has some video of a couple 360 class bulls from the Hill Ranch. Good management and little hunting pressure. I'd hunt there.
-Raptor

Thanks all for your replies. I'm not quite to 17-18 points unfortunately, but I'm always researching.

The Hill Ranch borders Vermejo Park on the north...VP is 550,000 acres mostly in New Mexico owned by Ted Turner. The general area is 99.9% private land and is larger than some eastern states and is loaded with monster bulls.

I have visited the Hill Ranch about once a month since 1995. It is the premier RFW in Colorado for good reason. Six point bulls are the norm and very nice 300-310 bulls are everywhere with and occasional 340 and up roaming around.

But remember, about 25 bulls will be taken by private hunters before the two public hunters get their chance...so many of the big boys are gone. The private hunters can hunt with a rifle between September 1 and November 30 I think. Not that tough to shoot a big bull in mid September in rut with a rifle.

I currently have 12, going on 13 points for elk and am holding out for another Unit. I'd be damn near 60 by the time I could get on the Hill Ranch...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom