Home Grown Tomatoes?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
A client liked the way i worked on his project and rewarded me with a box of his home grown vegetables along with a check. It's been too long now that i've been store bought.

Those tomatoes, sliced with salt, pepper, and lightly slathered in Best Foods?? To die for, so so good!!!

Who here grows Tomatoes and are Home Grown Tomatoes worth eating??

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I can't grow tomatoes here. It's too foggy and cool. Tomatoes like night time temperatures above 60 degrees. That's about our high most days:) Just a few miles south or east of here, you can grow them fine.

Every Thursday during the summer there is a "Farmer's Market" in town. That's when local growers get together and sell their wares. They come in from Shively, Pepperwood, and Willow Creek.

From the looks of the growers (extreme hippie) you would think they are selling a few vegetables as a way to launder their other garden money. But I digress.:)

Their home grown tomatoes are out of this world good. You will never eat a store bought tomato as good as a home grown one, IMO.

Joey, if you like a BLT sandwich, save a couple tomatoes and try them that way too. Best Foods Mayo is a must too.

Eel

Although I have worked all my life I have always grown a good sized garden. I have 36 tomatoe plants and my neighbor hunting buddy and I home cammed about 50 quarts of juice and whole tomatoes Thursday. They absolutely taste as good as you think. My garden site is about 1/2 acre and was an old barnyard. It has very fertile soil and I am lucky that I have no problems with any diseases or blight. Tomorrow I will help a neighbor pick at least 2 bushels for her to can for her big family. My wife thinks I am nuts but I really enjoy the fruits of the labor.

9805tomatoes.jpg

I am sorry that the pic is upside down My wife helps me and is left handed I must take time to learn this!

Better this way, that is a hell of a bunch of BLT sandwiches there for sure.

68289805tomatoes.jpg

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Home grown will forever ruin you for store bought. No comparison. I used to grow a lot more than I do for lack of free time to keep the weeds down and the plants watered. I still try to keep a few plants each summer though.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Nice posts guys! I tried to grow them where i live but our season is too short. Some guys here start then indoors and move them outside once the weather warms up. They do pretty good.

I guess it had been a few years since i had fresh home grown tomatoes...a few years too long.

Joey

We started getting our first ripe tomatoes about a week ago. Quite a few different varities. We have over 100 plants this year.

These tomatoes are mostly the Jetstar variery with a few "Big Boy" an old fashioned larger tomatoe. The jetstars are hearty and seem to be disease resistant for me.In the distance behind me is the Mississippi river.
J_T_B

I started picking a week ago, that's three weeks late. In the Grand Valley we have a huge Curly Top virus problem and I am loosing more plants than in a normal year. I have to use curly top resistant plants for the most part like Shady Lady but have still lost one third of my 30 plants.

4 ounces of sunflower oil, then an egg, then some vinegar/salt/pepper.

Then shove the hand blender to the bottom, mash the button and slowly pull the blades up through the mixture = home made mayo.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-14 AT 10:04AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-14 AT 10:00?AM (MST)

Totally agree, store bought tomatoes are hardly edible. 10 plants this year grown from seed, some hybrid and some heirloom: Black Krim, Roma, Big Beef, Jelly Bean, Black Cherry and Mr. Stripy.

Lots of green tomatoes, wont be long...

8311img_0632.jpg

It's tough growing almost anything in Evanston, but I do get some tomatoes, green beans and black zucchinis. I cheat some, and use a small green house. As far as the little cherry tomatoes go, if you want the absolute best I have ever tried, and it seems to grow well about anywhere, it is called a Sunsugar. They ripen into a bright orange color, and are almost like eating candy, they are so sweet. I used to grow the Sweet 100's, but the Sunsugar beats them 10 times over.

Wife has some that are 6ft tall and have dozens of tomato's on them. Big Boys and Roma's are what she grows.
BUT we too have the curly leaf Blight this year, Fricking leaf hoppers. Next year we are moving the area where we grown tomato, 11 chickens gives enough manure for a good garden.
But we do have a bunch Salsa already frozen.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Can't beat home grown tomatoes! We have had a handful so far this year, and the vines are full of tomatoes starting to turn! I can't wait for some home-made fresh salsa, and a couple BLTs.

Our Romas came on a hair earlier than the others, followed by Celebrity, and still haven't had a Beefsteak ripen yet.

Gator,

Curly Top Virus sucks. The only way to stay ahead of it is to grow one of the very few resistant varieties. Cherry tomatoes have natural resistance.

Blight implies that it is bacterial in origin, it is a virus. Insecticides are not effective in controlling the leafhoppers which vector it.

This is our second year growing sunsugars. At first I wouldn't eat them because like you said, they are orange and didn't look ripe. Dang they are good.

+1 on Sunsugar Gold. I think it's the best cherry tomato. Brandywine and Black Krim are excellent larger tomatoes. I also grow Amish Paste, Roma, Celebrity, and Better Boy. Amish Paste are a great for adding to elk chili.

I envy those of you that can grow tomatoes. Nothing better except maybe froglegs and rare backstrap....LOL.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Thanks
We are going to grow some Cherry tomatoes next year along with the other types and see if that helps.
They claim some of the soapy type sprays will coat the leaves with a film and that will help get rid of them.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

My opps??HER? green house is only 10 by 20. The north side is two coupes in the 10 by 20?Any way it has been in the low 50?s for the last week at night so it is greenhouse only Tomatoes. 8 plants. The cherries are ripe getting 10+ a day.. the big ones over 6 feet all have 10 to 15 base ball?s hanging?.any day now? Only ? my peas came up?all the root vegetables going to town? the two pigs are at 80 lbs due to die between first and second rifle season? + elk and home raised Hereford beef? screw cooperate agriculture!!! I do have to get my fruit from Bean man?s territory. I'm betting on Global warming got two apricot trees planted and one peach made it three years?if they never bear fruit at least I'll have some appealing trees. Wife stole my vacuum sealer? we go into November with 4 freezers full. Two are off right now could probably trim down to one until she starts blanching and freezing??
Raise it your self-kind of outfit up here.

>My opps??HER? green house is only
>10 by 20. The
>north side is two coupes
>in the 10 by 20?Any
>way it has been in
>the low 50?s for the
> last week at night
>so it is greenhouse only
>Tomatoes. 8 plants.
> The cherries are ripe
>getting 10+ a day..
> the big ones over
>6 feet all have 10
>to 15 base ball?s hanging?.any
>day now? Only ?
> my peas came up?all
>the root vegetables going
>to town? the two
>pigs are at 80 lbs
> due to die between
>first and second rifle season?
>+ elk and home raised
>Hereford beef? screw cooperate agriculture!!!
> I do have to
>get my fruit from Bean
>man?s territory.
> I'm betting on Global
>warming got two apricot trees
>planted and one peach made
>it three years?if they never
>bear fruit at least I'll
>have some appealing trees.
> Wife stole my
>vacuum sealer? we go into
>November with 4 freezers full.
> Two are off
>right now could probably trim
>down to one until she
>starts blanching and freezing??
>Raise it your self-kind of outfit
>up here.

You need some western slope beans in your storage. That can be arranged.

I only have 1 early girl. .its pumping them out fast now
I put up this last weekend 8 quarts of salsa and 4 qts
spaghetti sauce. (Its not done yet). Also have green peppers. .cucumber
Beans..
but am really excited about my Pumpkins.
Pics to follow..
jester

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom