Hornady Light Magnum Loads

brymoore

Looking for your thoughts on the Hornady Light Magnum Loads. I used their 130 grain interbonds in 270 loads this fall. I shot two animals with them and I wasn't impressed.

I shot an antelope at 250 yards, double lung shot. The animal traveled 50 yards before dropping. The other animal I shot was a mule deer. Heart shot at about 100 yards. It traveled about 60 or more yards before dropping. Yes, they are both dead. Both had small wound channels and would have been hard to track. I would have expected more of an instantaneous kill from both of those hits on such a hot load (3215 muzzle velocity).

I have only two instances to relate and wonder how the Light Magnums have performed for others. Any suggestions for an alternative factory round for antelope/deer/elk?

Thanks

You don't have anything to complain about. If you think you are going to drop an animal in it's tracks everytime, you're dreaming. From what you described, your cartridge and ammo performed perfectly. Animals with double lung shots sometimes travel a ways. So do heart shot ones. I saw a whitetail buck with an exploded heart shot by my Grandfather travel about 100 yards. He was dead on impact, but didn't know it. If that LM load shoots well, keep using it. mtmuley

I agree, text book performance. Just like the story Steve Hornasy always tells about some guy that screams in hsi face about a bullet failure. He asks him "how do know the bullet failed" the guy replys "Ive got peices of the jacket" Steve asks "where did you get them" The mad hunter replys "when I was gutting my deer" So the question is, at what point in the animals demise did the bullet "fail"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-06 AT 09:18PM (MST)[p]what Mtmuley and 257tony told you is solid infro. I have taken over 60 deer & antelope during the past 25 years and 99% of my shots were in the lungs or heart area. I love the meat too much to use shoulder shots. I have found that the average distance is about 50 yards for the animal to travel before dropping if shot while standing. On animals that were running prior to being shot, I have had them go in excess of 100 yards. One mule deer, that was running, went 200 yards before dropping. the bullet had blew away the top of the heart before exiting.
If you want an instant drop in their tracks shot, you have to bust the brain, spine, and this is too small of a target most of the time. if you are confining your shots to lung-heart and want a better blood trail from the exit wound, switch to Sierra Gamekings, Remington Core-Lokts, or other similar bullets with light jackets, they will blow a hole the size of a quarter on the exit side and allow more blood out for tracking. these bullets are fine for deer-antelope, but I would pick stronger constructed bullet for elk.

RELH

I agree with your opinions. If you use a controlled expansion bullet and take a lung or heart shot, the animal probably isn't going to drop in their tracks. I've taken deer with both 210 gr. Nosler Particians? and x-bullets out of a 338 and had them go farther than the elk I've taken with the same bullet. Without hitting big bone, they just don't know they're dead. The three bulls i've shot in the shoulder have all died in their tracks. I think bullet placement dictates how quick the animal dies not the bullet. A fragile bullet may explode in the chest and be impressive but unless you only take straight broadside shots, that bullet will disappoint you eventually.

I shot three animals with the first generation ballistic-tips out of a 338. The 200 gr. bullet seperated every time, even on a 300 yd. neck shot. This was on deer and antelope. I was soooo disappointed because they were VERY accurate. The ballistic-tips on the market now are alot better.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom