Horse Guys, Ever Ticketed?

ForkWest

Very Active Member
Any of you horse guys ever had the law on you for no brand inspection or health/coggins paper work when in a different state?

No, if you go into montana or yellowstone be darn sure to have your papers. been checked a few times but i always got my papres. but they usaully give you 24 hours to prove it.

but since you brought this up i was up in camp monaco. its a famous camp dated back to bufflao bill days. but anyway the forest service comes in and a ranger that has a really bad rep. starting harking on me about my horse being tied to the trees.

for one the tree was dead. and secondaly i guess somewhere in the rules you are not allowed to tie to a live tree. now i havent seen that rule on paper but i follow it. so me and the jackass ranger get into a screaming match over it and i finally win.

sorry to get off task, but if your planing on coming into another state beware of live trees in wyoming

Yep! Been checked at the ports of entry in Id.(Lewiston) and Calif. One time I didn't have papers but a phone call to our vet cleared everything up. Remembering to have your papers is one of those things that is easy to overlook before you leave on your hunt.

Make sure to stop at the port if you are going into Wyoming. We did with no problems, but we had papers. Since the horse herpes breakout, I hear that are watching in very close.

Definately. Not only will they give you a ticket, but they hold sieze your horses until they pass. I know California and Colorado will definatly check.

I got a ticket for being in Teton county without proof of ownership, I live next door in Sublette county

In Calif. it has become a major issue. We have more "nature fakers" working the trails than most anywhere else I think. Our packers are beyond frustrated at being checked 3 times a day....

In some areas, you are even responsible for manure removal.

If you want a REAL hassle, have one die on you in the back country.....boning it out ain't an option.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

Nickman, I have always heard you have to blow them up with explosives ...This has to be a wives tail, can you confirm?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

There.are tons of rules and.regs you would never know about with horses and land. Been an outfitter for 7 years so iv learned a ton best thing to do is.when ur caught just admit the truth
$MAVERICK$

I have never had a ticket, but I have been checked many times and have been with guys who got tickets for- non-cert feed, horses tied to a tree, no health papers, no travel papers.

A few years back we got our health certs to ride in and scout WY in late Aug for our deer hunt. We also had elk tags that year. So we are leaving WY after the elk hunt and we were stopped and checked in Afton. Our health certs had lapsed while we were in elk hunting- by one day. The guy threatened to ticket every horse, which would have been over $2,000. He was starting to fill out the ticket when one friend used his people skills and talked our way out of the tickets.

The local brand inspector in Utah stopped by the riding club a couple years ago. She gave 20+ tickets to the guys who did not have their permanent/temporary travel permit. In Utah it is against the law to haul your horse any distance off your property without a travel permit.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-27-11 AT 08:37AM (MST)[p]>Nickman, I have always heard you
>have to blow them up
>with explosives ...This has to
>be a wives tail, can
>you confirm?
>
>Years back, blowing them up was the Govt approved method. Three days, and there would be NO evidence of a carcass.

We did it many times while actually working FOR the Forest Service, repairing trail......the basic summer employment for teens in my area. We had to have a guy with a license come in and do it, so sometimes, by the time he got there....it wasn't a pleasant job.

You cannot imagine the tantrums that "leaf licker" hikers threw, when we would close a trail for an hour and vaporize a carcass.

You couldn't bury them either, as they mostly die from falls on granite trails, not in plush muddy meadows.

No longer an option.....you actually have to pack the entire carcass out, and it takes one Hell of a horse or mule, to stand still for loading dead horse or mule parts, on it's back. A deer or elk is one thing, but dead pack stock is ALTOGETHER different.

It is now a MAJOR costly event to have pack stock die in the back country.

Snort, since you just came out of there, you can appreciate the job it would be to bring out a 1200 pound horse.

When I was about 15, a few of us "mountain men", cut some steaks off a dead pack mule and barbcued them.....I'll decline that event next time!

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

nickman.I think it was 87 or 88 we had a horse go down on us.the man that owned it told us go ahead and make camp.he returned with gas and started this horse on firew it burned for almost 3 days. that was my first encounter of something like this,made me sick .cowboy57

last i knew you have to get the horse at least 200 yards off trail. contact autoritys haveing jurisdiction a.s.a.p, and they still pack them out.

if horse is in a nast terrain they still will blow rocks over it.

they do this to keep the grizzly bears getting an aquired taste for horse meat...........

In that case it would always be better to have a missing, or stolen horse than say a dead one. Yup...somebody stole it. Zeke here seen the whole thing. Wouldn't be surprised if he killed the damn thing the way he was ridin' it outta camp. Ask Zeke...he seen it.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Must have health certs and weed free hay as well as brand inspections and all that other fun stuff or you can get in hot hot water. I remember a few years ago we were travelling through Green River and they quarantined every horse that was not 100% legit as there had been an outbreak of some disease that I cannot remember and they were taking no chances. I remember a couple of people I knew had to leave their horses their for weeks and make a return trip later to pick them up.

Nickman, Yeah I could imagine what a mess it would be..

Makes one want to have unregestered stock with no brands.... Put the horse down and keep on trucking... I don't understand the big deal... The coyotes and bears would have it drug to pieces and mostly ate in 3 weeks...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

It kind of funny that you have to do this to riding stock, But if a cow goes down(grazing premit) they just let the animals eat it.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Packout I heard through the rumor mill that brand inspector got in some trouble for that deal , if where talking about the same thing that happened at the Salt Lake County place .

Lately I have been having all kinds of issues trying to get in touch with brand inspectors , now I just call the main guy in charge of Salt Lake and things have been better .

I don't want any trouble or problems so I try to have all my papers in order . The funny thing is I have had a couple of times when I accidentlly gave the port of entry people the wrong papers , it was old paperwork from the last trip and they never said a thing .

That happened in Yellowstone also when I had a line of cars waiting behind me , I handed over the papers and I was waved through . Later I realized I my mistake .

Like it was mentioned things seem to be more strict now after the herpes scare , but I still find most of the port of entry places are clueless and more trouble than they are worth .

My last two trips thru AZ they didn't have anyone on duty, so they just waved me thru. I was checked for brands in NM,But I never had any problems even with the horse and mule both not having brand on them, one mule is branded so no problem there, The paperwork just calls out all their marking and color, sex,and that they was unbranded. They just looked at the paperwork and said Ok.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

This got me thinking of a funny deal that happened at a port of entry about ten years ago . I was hauling a empty trailer through Wyoming on my way to look at a horse . Not being super familar with how it worked at port of entry places I stopped so they could check that the trailer was empty . The gal acted kinda put out , and said don't stop when your not actually hauling livestock . It made sense , but I just wanted to be on the safe side .

Well about a month later I'm making the same trip with a empty trailer . The trailer was a stock trailer with kinda high sides and it was hard to tell if there was animals inside . I go right by the port of entry , and as I'm passing I see a Wyoming State patrol car come racing up behind me .

I get pulled over and I see this little tiny dude come strutin up towards me . I notice him checking out my plates . I figure he is going to see that the trailer is empty , and I'll be on my way .

The first words out of his mouth " You stupid utahns are too dumb to read , and can't figure out you need to stop " . I'm kinda dumbfounded at his tact and approach , and he really rubbed me wrong . So I tell him I'll admit to being a dumb Utahn , but then I added us Utahn's are big enough to see over the trailer sides to realize the trailer is empty . I told him I had a crate in the bed of the truck if he needed some thing to stand on so he could see in or reach the fender to step on .

He wasn't very happy , but then again neither was I . From what I found out later was the state patrol guys had been assigned to check for livestock violations and they where not happy about it . I think it was short lived program of having the actuall police enforce the rule .

On a side note I was just chatting with a buddy of mine who is professional roper and he tells me he has never stopped for any port of entry and he travels all over the country . I think it will catch up with him one of these days .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom