Horses or Mules?

you could argue all day which is better. it really comes down to what your using it for and preference. its like ford and chevy imo.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-11 AT 10:15PM (MST)[p]Horses all the way . I think there is some big differences between the two , and they have different applications and different ways you better handle them .

8166me_and_hall_2.jpg

A good foundation breed horse is hard to beat .

The car analogy is correct. Both horses and mules are like cars. If you buy a new "car", you send it off to the "custom" shop and then you have to use it. If you don't drive your car much the seals become dry, the gas goes bad, and the car won't do what you want it to.

If you buy a used car, the owner always says how great a "car" it is and skips over the problems. When you start driving the "car" you notice it pulls hard to the right, will not get over 35 mph, the steering is very sloppy, or the brakes seem "soft" quite often.

The "car" never gets the mpg advertised. When we are learning to drive, a 4 cylinder seems mighty stout, until you get the hang of driving, then you want a v8. Heck I even bought a v10. Some "cars" come with lots of chrome (which tends to rust), while other cars are kind of plain-jane, but run forever.

Many "cars" have to go to the shop often, but expensive "cars" seem to make their owners feel they have to go to the dealership to receive service. The issue of tires is always present, as we must buy new tires quite often, and rotate them even more so.

Some "cars" have cruise control, while others have to be white-knuckled to whole time you are in the seat. Some cars couldn't drive up a 7 degree grade and stall, then falter backwards, even though they seemed to have plenty of power in the flats.

If you are not a "mule-guy", then buy horses. It is hard to beat a great mule, the problem is finding one. I broke horses, then I went through my mule phase. Now I am back to horses, so that is what I prefer. Horses are more forgiving. They make fine pasture ornaments.

"You ain't never been kicked, 'til you been kicked by a mule."

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

horses are a lot more versitile. you can hunt on either pack with either and trail ride with either but if you trail cows or sheep, rope, cut or team pen on a mule you will get laughed at real bad. horses are a lot more athletic. ive ridden some good ones but i cant bring myself to own a mule. when i was a kid i asked my mom to breed her mare to the mammoth jack a friend of ours had, she told me that would be a mean thing to do to a good horse.

4119shoot.jpg

Plus chicks dig horses , not mules .Just Kidding .

I have some mule friends that swear their mules will go places a horse can't , and how much easier their mules are to care for . I just honestly haven't seen it , and I can get a horse anywhere those mule guys are going .

I recently judged a trail class competion before a horse and mule sale , and I was really surprised at how some of the mules where acting at a water crossing . There was very few of the horses that acted up . The top mule in that sale sold for around 9 grand .

I'm going to put a vote in for Suzuki
It has a key so you don't have to feed it all winter

Dad has horses, mules and ATV's and a person cannot go wrong with any of them depending on the situation. All have their plus and minuses.

My grandpa told me and still tells me the most sure footed horse he ever rode was a Mule.

horses and mules are both tough...deep pitted, burro is the sweetest and most tender...

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Depends on who is going to be in charge, if you want to be, get a horse, if you want the animal to think more for itself get a mule. I ride horses all the time and you will never get me on a mule, but having said that if you aren't going to put the time in, a mule might be less maintanance. As far as mules going where horses won't I don't believe that, but I can guarantee mules won't keep up with horses climbing the mountain, if they are in shape.

Not sure if a mule can go more places than a horse. I know a horse can take you lots of places that will make you pucker up! Most people don't have the nerve to ride into the spots that really push their ability and if you are not trail riding a lot you shouldn't take them there anyway.

I will ride either, both can be very good. Our family has had some great mules in the past and currently have some really good horses.

I guess it hasn't been said yet. But the best horse or mules ? I think the correct anwser is a friend with horses and mules !! ;-)

I think we can all agree they are a pain in the ass sometimes but can be a real tool when packing/getting things in and out quick. I personally have Fox Trotters but I enjoy a green M&M also once in a while, each to there own :)
\

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Mules or Horses, I do know after a 2 week trip a horse will lose some weight and I have had mules put weight on, so I think a mule can get by on rougher forage in the mountains then a horse can, Horses are more picky on what to eat, mule will eat to be eating.IMO

I have 2 mules for sale, Both are riders and packers.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

A horse will "kill itself" trying to get unstuck in any hangup situation. A mule will "stand there" and wait for help! Its happened a few times while we've been out in the woods.

muleyman

+1 what muleyman said. I too have seen 1st hand how mules and horses react in hangup situations.

I think a good horse is easier to come by but thats becasue there are more horses than mules.However, find your self a good mule, and you will never look back. A good moutain horse will go any where a mule will, however, mules have more stamina, will live longer, and a good mule will never put you in a situation that will get you both killed. Notice, I said a good mule!A bad mule will have you dead or in a neck brace before your a$$ hits the leather.A good mule will also cost you twice what a good horse will cost.

I've had horses all my life, I caved in to peer pressure last year and bought three mules. Packed into the high country several times last year hunting elk.

I'm very satisfied with the preformance of the mules.

More sure footed, more stamina and easy keepers.And they don't require shoes.

Don't know if it has been mentioned above but mules are also less prone to the problems horses have (founder,colic,foot problems,etc...)

Having said that if you have never had either I recommend starting with a horse and learn from them, then get mules...

I really recommend this book : http://www.amazon.com/Outfittings-Complete-Riding-Packing-Training/dp/0973469404

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I have to weigh in on this one. I agree with Muleyman. We have both horses and mules. When I ride in rough country I want my wife and kids on a good mule if possible. If you pack and ride long enough on either you will see or have wrecks. Had a situation one time where a trail gave way on a rock slide and two mules and a horse went of the trail. They didn't spook of the trail or go nuts, it was a freak thing where the trail just gave way. The rock slide was extremely steep and the stock couldn't make it back to the trail. For every step up the animals would slide back twice as far. My horse, who was the best I have had, kept on trying to make it back up and eventually got in a spot he couldnt get out of. He went down and broke a leg, and I had to shoot him down on the spot. For anyone who hasn't done this....it's a miserable experience. The mules both laid down and wouldn't move once they realized they were sliding back. We were able to clear some rocks and a trail and luckily get both of the mules out. I have seen good and bad mules. I still have horses and love them too, but to me a good solid mule is worth its weight in gold. As was mentioned earlier, they aren't a dime a dozen and can be pricey.

>I guess it hasn't been said
>yet. But the best horse
>or mules ? I think
>the correct anwser is a
>friend with horses and mules
>!! ;-)
hahaha! That sounds like the best deal to me. My Grandpa used mules in the army and swore by them. Never been around a mule much myself, but I find it hard to believe they could be WORSE than a horse in a stressful situation.

"In the breast of every meat hunter there beats the heart of a secret, frustrated trophy hunter."

While elk hunting a few years back we had a hair raising experience on our pack into base camp. We were winding up a narrow switchback dirt trail that was a masive boulder field that spanned both sides of the trail. We were riding and packing mules and horses. One of the pack mules had his pack saddle come loose mid way up. The whole pack saddle went under his belly. The mule stopped and stood perfectly still until we were able fix the problem. I'm certain a horse would have panicked and ended up in the boulder field with several broken legs. Mules are very intelligent animals. There is a reason they use mules over horses to haul tourists in and out of the grand canyon.

it really depends onthe horse. a few of our horses are just like what you guys described mules to be, these horses dont spook or panick when hung up on wires etc. or a saddle rolling underside etc they will stop and wait for us to assist them. one of the horses in particular will stop in its tracks if the reins hit the ground. he doesnt need tying up you simply drop the reins on the ground and he will not move from the spot. i have tied another horse to him for a hitching post while i climbed the rest of the way on foot to the top of a steep mtn. (nothing else to tie up too)
i cant imagine a mule actually outdoing any of these few horses in any category. endurance to sure footing.

it really comes down to is it a GOOD horse or GOOD mule.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom