House on Fire

R

redrabbit

Two times a year, the sun sets at the proper declination to cast the shadow of the West Mitten upon the East Mitten. This year, some light clouds gave some color to the sky, but also diffused the sun's rays and lessened the shadow.

Ed800MittenShadow2012_012.jpg

After viewing the Mitten Shadow event Friday evening, I continued north into southern Utah to visit a couple of photogenic ruins. Each required an easy 45 minute hike down a canyon.

House on Fire Ruin.
Late morning light reflects off the sandstone in front of the ruin to give the layered edges of stone above the ruin a flame appearance.

Ed800HouseOnFireRuin_236_01.jpg

Fallen Roof Ruin.
These granaries are located about 100' above the canyon bottom. A few small corn cobs were still on the floor of one compartment. Taken with a Tokina 12-24 @12mm as I could not take another step back.

Ed800FallenRoof-Ruin_096.jpg

Being an Anasazi must have been a difficult life living in a cliff face and depending upon nature to provide food, clothing and shelter.

Doug~RR

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://www.plateaulightphotography.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-12 AT 01:15PM (MST)[p]
Stunning. One of these days, I'd love to hook up with you on one of your Utah desert hikes. Desert landscape photography is very cool stuff. I may have to hit Antelope Canyon this spring before my Powell trip out of Antelope Marina.

Have you done your homework for where you are going to shoot the Annular eclipse this year?

TRH

PS...would you mind sharing your exposure times on these?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-12 AT 08:03AM (MST)[p]Eldorado- thanks. The flames of HOF might look pretty good printed on metal or Fuji pearl paper.

Gaetz- HOF was @12mm, f/8. 1/100s, ISO 200. FR was @ 12mm, f/7.1, 1/80s, ISO200. I had taken a series of shoys for a depth of field blend, but these single shots seemed pretty sharp throughout. For the eclipse, a group of photographers is thinking about Shiprock.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://www.plateaulightphotography.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

Very nice, great pictures Redrabbit.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom