how big is this pronghorn?

highsierra

So, how big do you think this guy is (B&C score)?
I will tell you that overall length was more than 16"

Have at it.....

7369goat_1.jpg

6975goat_2.jpg

7882goat_3.jpg

The first guy is always wrong so I guess I'll be first and wrong. I punched what I thought he was at each of the measurements and came up with 79 I would have guessed bigger. I gave him 15.5 for length. 6 base 5.5 at the prongs. He loses mass up high. I'm no expert tell me how wrong I am. Great buck no matter what he scores congrats be sure and tell us what he actually scores.

Well Husker, the second guesser is always wrong too. So, until the experts weigh in I'll throw out a score of 83 2/8" B&C gross score.

The bottom mass is great, prong are great and length is great, top mass is a bit lighter-ish.

It's a stud buck and I'd pull the trigger on one like that in about 3 weeks!
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-14 AT 04:15PM (MST)[p]...at the time I held this buck I estimated the bases to be close to 8", possibly even larger... Does that help?

Wow! 8" bases then I don't believe anyone has guessed high enough I'm pretty sure he's over15" and with that perspectives the prongs have got to be over 6.5 which even for average mass up top he's middle 80's. I

Ok...I missed the +16" and the 8" bases came in after my first incorrect guess. So my second incorrect guess is 85!

DW,
I'm the "guess the score" police! You may NOT have 2 incorrect guess. You must officially withdraw your first guess in order to be elegible for the incorrect grand prize! LOL

Zeke

My first impression is.......the prongs are not that much above the ears, judging from the live photo. He has good length above the prongs but not terribly massive up top. He has book quality bases and good prong length.

I'm not seeing over 80

Looks like a California buck, from all the lava rock:)

Eel

With 8" bases he is 85. With 7" bases like it looks like he has, I would say he is 81. Shooter most places for sure, nice buck.

I do not see over 80 prongs to low to score high enough....beautiful goat

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

I keep coming back to try and figure a score. Could be mid 80's.

Sure is a pretty buck regardless.

Eel

Congrats on a great pronghorn. I'll be trying to hold out for an 80" + buck in about three weeks. At first glance this pronghorn doesn't look like it would break 80". My initial estimate was 78". If I find one that looks just like him in a few weeks I will spend a lot of time looking him over and trying to decide. If he really does have 8" bases and has 16" horn length he would score in the upper 80". The pictures also do not do him justice if he is really that massive. I may be wrong but I can't see upper 80's in this buck but will guess 84". I am far from an expert at scoring antelope. They are tough animals to judge. Post a score when you have a chance.

8" bases? That pretty tough to get. The last time i breezed thru Boone and Crockett, seems that i remember that there were few, if any, recorded lopes with 8" bases or better. I'd say 7+" is more realistic and with about 6" prongs, 16" main beam length, and you probably get a lope gonna be well over 80"

I'll guess he green scores about 84"...Pretty bugger!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

There are a total of 62 antelope bucks in Boone and Crockett that have a mass measurement of 8 inches or greater...4 of those have a measurement 9 inches or greater.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-14 AT 04:27PM (MST)[p]30Hart, I stand corrected, thank you!

I should have mentioned that my books are not of the newest editions. The "Book" i was referring to was published in 1971. It has no antelope listed with both horns measuring 8" or more EXCEPT one taken by a Dr in Pecos Co. Texas that scored 82 4/8 with amazing bases of 9 2/8 and 9 1/8. My comment was off the cuff and just something that i noted to myself as i often study thru my few copies.

I also just now skimmed thru my 11 edition, 1999, and it too has only a example or three where both base mass measurements were 8" or over. This tells me that i badly need some newer additions to my humble record book collection. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I agree with you though...8 inch bases on an antelope are extremely rare! I've never seen one on the hoof and I'd bet most people haven't.

For comparison, I pulled this off Pronghorn Guide Service's site. 87 2/8 B&C. It might not mean much though. Photos are so tough to figure.

46155283479.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-14 AT 02:50PM (MST)[p]Great speedgoat! I've seen a speedgoat with over 8" bases on the hoof, and I see him on a regular basis on the wall:)
I'm interested in knowing the score on this guy. My incorrect guess would be 84 6/8. Hurry up and let us know!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-14 AT 04:06PM (MST)[p]Yes, your desert goat was a monster! So much so that I can't forget it. Loved those trail cam pics.

I'm told skull is being boiled in prep for a Euro mount. I did not take this animal but witnessed the junior hunter shoot it after my partner and I had watched him for several hours plotting a strategy to move in on him. Guess the kid had all the good luck that day. Oh well...public land hunting, gotta expect that. We still took a respectable low-mid 70's type buck that in no way compared to this beast.

I am assured by the lucky hunter's father that he will have a green score for me in the next couple of days.

-HS

264mag sent this to me to post. It's a lope he killed that he thought very similar to the one this thread is about. 264's lope measured 86 2/8.

Smoker Buck!!!

1478264mag_1.jpg

Joey

OK...here it is....what you've all been waiting for....The UNOFFICIAL SCORE is:

4946pronghorn_score.jpg

Looks like my field estimation regarding bases circumference was pretty darn close....although my estimation of total length was off a bit. win some, lose some...still a smoker buck that most likely will go B&C after drying period.

-HS

I don't think I won the closest guess but I sure wasn't the farthest away either.
That's a bit comforting since I've got a great tag to try to fill in 2 weeks! I've already looked over 297 different bucks and I'm not sure I've seen an 80 incher yet...maybe 2 were close.
Thanks HS for the study in score of a great pronghorn antelope.
Zeke

Before he moved to Colo, a outfitter buddy here in town had a reg clientele of high dollar paying Calif Antelope hunt Clients. They took almost all B&C qualifying lopes. He told me that Calif can really kick out lopes with huge bases and that's why he could provide for his clients as he did.

It's all about that base!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk"

Congrats again to the hunter!

Joey

It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-14 AT 11:52AM (MST)[p]This buck was taken in California Zone 4- Likely Tables. I have accompanied 5 friends on this great hunt...but haven't ever drawn the tag myself. But, when I do finally draw, I think I'll have a great idea of what kinda buck I'll hold out for!

-HS

Thanks highsierra for getting back to us. That was educational for me.

A lot of people who draw a California pronghorn tag have never hunted them before and really don't have a clue about judging trophy size. That's the way it was when I drew back in 1982. I wish I had someone like you back then as I think there are really good bucks in CA that get over looked.

Walt, where and when did you kill that monster?

Eel

You're an old-timer if you can remember when setting the world on fire was a figure of speech.

Eel I got that buck in New Mexico 2010,I saw this buck at about 600 yards and no doubt it was a Booner, but I have shot other buck's thinking they were at least 82" but were right at 78-80 net, they can fool me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom