How Good Is It?

lyk2hnt

Any of you "experts" have a good idea what this ram would score?
He looks like a good one to me, I just don't know how good.

49d446ca01508f68.jpg

Score aside, that thing has a beautiful shape. I would be happy with it!

Is that in Zion Park? There are 4 or 5 rams running around up there that are that size or bigger. They are beutiful rams, with great genetics. All of the older rams are full curl.

Rams are tough to score specially in a picture. But he has the mass at the bases and the length to his curl that you look for. Big wide open curl like that eats up the tape. All sheep are good sheep. Its always nice to have a few of his younger buddies close to help see just how big he is. Defiantly a great ram. Do you have any shots from the side? Great photo!! Thanks for sharing it!!
JC

I had an ol' time sheep guide and legend from AZ tell me one time if he can get within 4 inches of scoring a ram he felt pretty darn good. I tend to agree with him.

So I would say 175 +/- 2 points. I like to look at the last qtr mass measurement on sheep and he seems to be heavy on his thirds. It's hard to tell a 1/2 inch on every mass measurement and that could result in being off 4 inches on the total score plus 1 inch off on the length and now your score is 6 inches off. Either way that is a dam nice ram and an awesome pics,thanks for sharing.

This ram appears to be around 7-8 yrs old and he may push some more horn out in the next couple years which will increase his mass measurements and could be a 180 ram in the making if he'll live that long.

The more I look at this ram and compare him with some pics I have he maybe closer to 180 than I thought. But judging from pictures can be dangerous.

That's about the same as I thought - pictures can be deceiving but I thought he was a 170+ ram.

Hopefully, if myself or one of my sons draws a tag and we can find him, we will be able to put the guesswork to rest and put the tape to him.

We'll be sure to let you all know if we do.

Thanks for all the input.

I would guess 165-170 I am no expert so I give myself +/- 5". I had a friend who had a tag in southern NV and killed a 10 year old ram that scored 145. When we saw he looked like a good ram but after he shoot it we were surprized on how small his body size was. His bases were only 12.5". I would shoot that ram anyways just because he would make a good mount. Thanks for posting the picture Ryan.

NVNative you have a very good point about body size. That's why judging pics can be so deceiving. I was just merely judging him assuming he was a normal body size. The Dwarf ram's have a tendency to hang around by themselves and avoid the other sheep so that can make judging very difficult because you have nothing to compare from.

If got a pic of this ram in a unit where I had a tag I would definaltly make this guy top priority of rams to look at.

Stud Ram! Good luck in the draw.
My guess - low 170's wouldn't be suprised if he was a little better, those bases look big. Kinda suprised the tips arn't broomed a little more. Looks like a unit 263 ram - south end?
Jason

I'll second the guess that the ram is 160-170 with a +/- of 5 points margin of error. At any rate, he's a shooter. Hopefully a MM will draw the area, and we'll get to see exactly how large he is. Best of luck to all in the draws!

I would say high 160's to 170 ish.That being said, shooti him he's a beautiful ram. He is 10 plus years old. You can count most the groth rings on his bases. JB

I ran a few combinations of numbers here

R L R L
36 35 37 36
15 15 14 14
14.5 14.5 13.5 13.5
13.5 13.5 12.5 12.5
9.5 9.5 9 9
88.5 87.5 86 85

I could do another combo of numbers that would put him near the 180 mark all I would have to do is add a half inch to every measurement in the first group or I could add a half inch to every measurement in the second group and come out with almost the same score as the first group. Thats why when you see the ram you like you shoot em.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom