How Much Fuel for Stove??

FullCurlHunter

I am planning a hunting trip to the high country of colorado this fall. My trip will consist of cooking at 10,000 feet with a optimus nova plus stove using white gas.

What size fuel bottle should I buy? 1 L, .6L or .4L?

5 nights & 5 morning cookouts (boiling water)

What are your estimates? Obviously I want to carry enough but not to overdo it in case the 1L is way too big.

Thanks

If I was carrying it, I would go with the smallest bottle and try to conserve as much as possible (more cold meals & snacks). You could also go with an alcohol stove and fuel. 8 ounces should be good for 8-10 meals boiling 2-3 cups of water each. The difference in weight for the stoves would allow you to bring more fuel to cover more meals.

I've also been experimenting with little woodgas stoves made out of soup cans that burn a small handfull of sticks and twigs. They're dirty, stinky, and can be hard to get going, but they're light and you don't have to bring any fuel so you can cook as often as you want.

Fullcurl
A lot of that would depend on how much water you'll need to boil. I have gone on several 4 nights 5 day backpacking trips without any problems using a 6 oz can of fuel. Having said that there was one 4 night 5 day backpacking trip we did the first weekend in January where I ran out heating water the last morning. If you're looking at boiling 10-15 cups of water I would think the 6 oz would work just fine anything more than 15 I would consider taking more fuel or eating less meals where hot water is needed.

400bull

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom