How to remove the velvet...

TheFever

I've done MM searches and Google searches and can't find anything sound advice on how to do this.
I shot my buck and didn't take it in to a taxi, and now I've decided since the velvet looks like crap, and smells, I want to remove it.
So what's the best way?
I'm not too worried about how to stain it after, mainly just the velvet stripping part.

Thanks y'all.

>>>---->
For the love of the game

Mulecreek, do you have any tutorial videos showing proper form and the correct type of tree? I'm curious if the approved trees on my HOA's list would be good trees.

>>>---->
For the love of the game

I find that the neighbors trees work well regardless of the species.

I don't have a video but try this.
Step 1. Walk to neighbors yard.
Step 2. Curl back upper lip and look upwards.
Step 3. Lick low hanging branch
Step 4. Expose bare spot at base of tree with foot.
Step 5. Piss in bare spot.
Step 6. Rub antlers on tree.

If your neighbor comes out asking what you are doing kick his butt. This is now your territory. Then go find his wife.

These instructions work best on Whitetail antlers but should still work on a Mule deer.

In all seriousness, I shot a buck one October that still had dried velvet on several of his points. I just peeled off what I could by hand then rubbed the antlers on a tree and in the dirt. They started out white and when I was done they looked just like every other set of antlers I have ever seen. Find a good pitchy tree.

Best velvet stripping I ever did was by accident. I wrapped my archery bucks head and velvet antlers in plastic bags so that the flies wouldn't get to them. Left it outside in the heat a couple days while we continued to hunt for other family members. When we came home, I took off the plastic to a wreaking, maggot-filled mess... But the velvet just slid off in my hands.

Next time, I will skin out the head and wrap the velvet in the plastic. :)

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Browning...
That's disgusting, but sounds like it worked. I soaked one of the antlers and then took a brush to it, yeah, nothing came off. And I don't own a power washer. Looks like I'll have to give the ole antler wrap a try and let the bugs and heat do their thing.

>>>---->
For the love of the game

You can soak the antlers in heavy Salt Water for 7-10 days and the velvet will slip right off no problem. I did that this year and it works great.

Thanks--

Cool, sounds good SnkyHuntr, thanks. I'll fill up a tupperware with that then and give that a try.

>>>---->
For the love of the game

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom