How's the winter?

Cohntr62

I've been wondering about the severity of this winter in regards to wildlife in the NW Colorado Meeker-Craig area. Can anyone enlighten me?

So far it has been good. Lots of fat healthy little ones. The range is a concern. We need the moisture as we are now hovering around 70% normal snow pack. Storm coming tonight! Elk herds are looking good deer numbers are still down but those that are around seem to be doing well.

Sheds are starting to drop soon and the turkey hunts coming up will help me know more, but other than predators (coyotes are down) lions going strong, bobcats holding strong the deer do not have much to worry about. Gas activity is decreased, vehicle traffic down, etc. If we can get a warm/wet spring things are looking good. Again numbers are still down from years past.

Shortly after Christmas the snow started dumping. Right now in town we have about 2 feet of snow. North of town the snow depth is more than double as is south of town. Range condtions are not good with last summer severe drought as I have seen the deer eat the dried up sagebrush tops for the last month. The deer seem to look healthy but a crappy spring can take this all away. I have watched the same 2 dozen deer daily this winter and they are brousing nearly all day long. We had an extended cold period with temps around -34 degrees and 2 feet of snow so you can figure the stress they were under. North of town the snow came in such aboundance in such a short period of time the deer did not have time to fully migrate to the winter range. I am hoping for the best for these deer north of town but am afraid of the worst. Elk seem to be doing ok but the wimpy muleys might be struggling depending upon how this spring works out.

"From my cold dead hands."

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom