Huge Gila Bull

>Cool video but am I the
>only one disappointed once I
>saw the "huge" bull?

Hah, such a relative term, especially considering most of the bulls killed in the Gila are under 300". I was thinking the same thing about the title, but still a great bull! This is the smaller of 2 bulls we killed that day and this one grossed just under 333.

http://themeateater.com/
www.streamflies.com

For sure. Not knocking the bull but the title got me exited. Lol.
A 330 bull is a respectable bull.

I'm with you. That's a smaller gila bull. I've seen the gila giants and they are definitely larger than that 310 type bull. Its not hard to take even a 330 in the gila. Please pay attention all you guys asking what to expect on guided gila hunts. This is the big bull most outfitters kill. Not a bad bull but if you are a true trophy hunter this is not what you are looking for im sure.

Who ever said anything about score? The biggest bull I have ever killed was a 270" 5x5 with my bow that my dad called in to 20 yards when I was 14....I have killed numerous bulls since "scoring" a lot higher but nothing will compare to that until hopefully my son or daughter can tell the same story. If you spend all your time keeping score, your going to miss the experience!

Who said anything about score???

Well the title did. Said huge bull and I'm doubtful they are talking about body size.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-13 AT 09:53AM (MST)[p]>I'm with you. That's a smaller
>gila bull. I've seen the
>gila giants and they are
>definitely larger than that 310
>type bull. Its not hard
>to take even a 330
>in the gila. Please pay
>attention all you guys asking
>what to expect on guided
>gila hunts. This is the
>big bull most outfitters kill.
>Not a bad bull but
>if you are a true
>trophy hunter this is not
>what you are looking for
>im sure.

This is a "Giant Gila Bull", especially considering it was unguided, DIY, in an average unit, and taken with family and friends. Don't need to be guided or on high dollar private or reservation lands for our crew to have a dynamite hunt and kill a few big bulls.
-Cody

edit- as an aside, we killed a much larger-racked bull that day, but the video didn't quite capture the spirit of what we are about, so you won't see video of that kill. Just some photos in a trophy elk magazine.

www.streamflies.com

Post the video. Can't be any worse than a 685 yard head shot or talking to antelope about their pee pee. Lmao.
On a side note having a guide isn't much different than having 5-6 guys with binos and radios helping out. Most guided hunts you don't even have 2 guys helping. Looked at a few of your videos on utube and good job on the videos. I know how hard it can be to try and capture everything you need on film for even a decent 15 minute video.

azdog, to clarify, this is Cody, the spectacled nerd in Casey's video, not Casey. The video isn't Casey's so it won't be on his Youtube channel, or on Youtube at all. So criticism aside, you can spare me the sarcasm. Post up some of your own picture or videos, I'd love to see them, and I guarantee I'll enjoy them.

To Casey's credit, he and his family are excellent long distance shooters, and I believe that head shot was the result of an excited trigger pull by an otherwise competent shooter. Additionally, I think Casey does a good job of keeping his videos lite and different from 99% of the shoot, kill, macho crap out there. His audience on Youtube is hugely comprised of urban youth, many of whom now appreciate hunting because of Casey and his videos. If anything, he should be commended for putting himself and his work out there and bringing hunting to such a diverse crowd. Keep this in mind when you watch his videos. He definitely draws a lot of heat for some of his work, but he's one hell of a great guy, father, friend, and hunter.

It is really easy to critique break down short videos, pictures, and stories of other guys and their hunts, but I give every one of them credit and thanks for even sharing it with me and the rest of critical pulic eye.

As an aside, the group of my hunting brothers in the final scene of that video were hunting a 20 square-mile area, solo, or with one other person. We happened to be on the radio in my truck to see if anyone needed water or a ride back to our main camp when I got the call from Terry to stop my truck before I screwed up his hunt. What you can't tell from the video is that we despise group hunting in the sense of lots of spotters and radios being used to direct a hunter in for a kill. We can hike damned near anybody into their graves on any given day, but you would never know that or be able to guess that from this 9 minute video. Trying to keep it real on film is tough and we appreciate all comments, positive and negative. Stay tuned for some more cool videos by Casey and my buddies, including another beautiful New Mexico bull shot at close range.

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

I was kinda disappointed but I posted my video again from last year hopefully itll make up for it haha. not talkin crap it was a fantastic hunt fantastic video. them Backstraps probably tasted just as good as mine did!

@wapitiwhistler I agree ith you all my animals I have killed right along side my dad bulls from 270-370 and same with mule deer they are all trophys and all are memories and it is awesome you got it on camera!! on my mule deer hunt i turned the beep of on my gopro and i had my glove on i didn't press the record button down all the way saw the ilumenok hit right where it was suppose to took my camera off and laughed... it takes a lot to have a great video .... so congrats again on a great bull and hunt don't let these guys discourage you any

Casey - Thanks for putting this together...turned out great.

Casey took time to come down to elk camp to just hang out, have fun and capture the experience on film. He didn't have a tag but still wanted to head down there with all of us and have some fun.

Whatever your opinions are of the size of the bull or the quality of the video it will always be something I can reflect back on and smile. You never know how many hunts you'll be able to share with your dad and this one was one of the best.

His first ever rifle elk hunt, shared with his son and his son's buddies. To say he was happy was an understatement. Lots of Oregon archery rag-horns hanging in his garage and one nice bull that went just over 300 from 1998.

We hunt for meat first, pleasure second and horns a distant third.

I'm proud that my dad spotted and stalked in on this bull solo while passing up several other smaller ones. He made 2 great shots and this footage was nice to finally be able to see since I was off hunting a different drainage.

Here's a few more photos of his DIY bull.

1592dads_best.jpg

5541dads_bull_iv.jpg

This was another great video you put together I really like them all even the antelope taking a crap. The bull is huge not many people have taken bulls that big. But the memories that were made in that camp are the biggest trophys. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Muliefanatic

Sorry I offended some of you with the title or context of this video. I tried to capture the feeling/excitement/passion of a bull elk hunt with family and close friends and maybe it backfired on me. I title my videos according to what I see fit in the thumbnail(picture that represent the context of the video.) Sometimes they are "over the top" titles but that is how I earn an extra buck in this phenomenal economy we live in. I will title my videos in a more appropriate fashion the next time I post one here on this politically correct site.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-13 AT 02:22AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-13 AT 02:20?AM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-13 AT 01:48?AM (MST)

The only reason I was even there on this hunt was because of this site!!!!! I reached out to nmelktrout after I had drew a Gila tag last year and he was kind enough to invite me down for some scouting last summer. bmack the same. Two of the best hunting buddies anyone could ever ask for. I continue to frequent this site for guys like them...Not for dudes that want to start a "pissing match" on every post. Good luck to all that drew this year and better luck next year to those that didn't....

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-13 AT 07:56AM (MST)[p]Hey man, your videos are super as long as you stay away from the head shots (wink wink, hint hint!). Seriously, I've watched quite a few of them and that's my only negative comment and I wasn't alone in that assessment. How long have you been filming and are you filming every hunt you go on? Now all you need do is send me some coordinates of your 2b mulie hunt last year so I can guide my Wyoming buddy to a big buck on his November rifle hunt this Fall! I promise I won't film it to compete with ya, LOL! We didn't see a decent buck and not nearly the deer you were into when he had the same tag in 2011 and we were up in the ne 1/4 near the Jicarilla and CO borders. I imagine we'll try a whole new area this November.

Cool video guys...thanks for posting it up.

Cody, checked out your photoblog site, pretty cool man! Looks like you guys have a heck of an elk camp. Good luck with all the hunts this year

-Alex

Haha TOPGUN.... It feels like only yesterday you were personally messaging me about being "ran out of the country" and my dad "should have his hunting rights taken away" The only way I will give up my spot in 2B is over the phone in person. DM me your # and I will call and we can chat. You are my favorite person on this site and I want to talk to you.....

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-13 AT 08:08AM (MST)[p]No thanks! It was a joke and I wouldn't want to be "beholdin" to ya for giving up "your" spot! I was just trying to complement you when you do it the right way Bro! Do it the wrong way like a couple of those videos that make hunting/hunters look bad and I, along with a lot of others, will be telling you it ain't right! Incidently, one of the guys I disagree with all the time on the Wyoming Forum asked for help on an elk unit and I jumped right in and offered as much help as I could in a PM. That's what the site is all about!

Lmao typical DB as usual, TG you couldn't just leave well enough alone as usual lol

I just call em as I see em!

Awesome , thanks for sharing it...LMBO about the score talk , I used to guide for a great outfitter here in NM and I always had my hunters throw out that 300-350 number....I would guess, just a guess, but most hunters have no idea how big 350 truly is.300 is big and I have had guys say they want 350 or nothing and the first 280-300 inch bull to come in these same guys were drawing back....Stinky was right in his comment , but that type of guy is very far and few, like I said, most guys have no idea what true 350 is...333 , 17 SHORT OF 350 on public land, well that's a good bull I don't care who you are...

Love the video and your video from Idaho you have on youtube as well. It is nice to put a face to a name on here. After I seen the Idaho video you did and then seeing this, I knew I had seen your name from somewhere. September can't get here fast enough for me. I have never hunted Elk, due to drawing one for my home state of Michigan, is near impossible, even for a Resident! But, I fell into a great Land Voucher this year, so I am headed down to the great state of NM, in September. I'm like a kid on his first Christmas, can't get here fast enough. I think I watched every Elk video on youtube atleast three times... Thanks for the post, I love watching your videos, feel like i'm in the hunt!!!

-Brian

Thanks for all the compliments, guys. We really appreciate them, especially coming from guys who appreciate the same aspects of hunting that we do. I don't think any of us ever get it right 100% of the time, but I guess that's because we're human. We all try, and I hope you can see from this video how my crew of buddies goes about trying to get it done in the field.

gdluck, shoot Casey or me a pm and give us some more details regarding dates and such. Hope you shoot a smoker and have one hell of a first elk hunt. Let any one of us know if we can do anything for you.

"topgun", I wish you were as respectful on this website as you are on my buddy Randy's!

Stanky, you're an idiot because those bulls you posted in your thread are all freaking "huge" in my book. Nothing "nice" about any of them...especially when you only shoot the busted ones.

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

gdluck -

Congrats on getting a tag. You will absolutely love elk hunting in New Mexico. Take lots of photos and enjoy the entire experience.

For the record...you will be officially addicted once it hits your lips!

Best of luck on your hunt.

Addicted once it hit's my lips? I think it's already to that point! I didn't draw a tag however, I cheated I guess you can say and bought a Unit Wide Archery Voucher. Missed the draw deadline due to a surgery and even if I would have entered, I am sure I wouldn't have drawn. I have applied for 15 years in Michigan, my home state, with no luck... I am begging for non-residents to apply in Michiga to help grow Elk hunting in my home state. We have some nice Bulls here. I think the state record is only 380+, but I have seen some 400+ bulls on my friends hunts that have drawn here. Michigan is missing out on a great opportunity I feel, with the way our Fish ad Game runs our tags here, even on Whitetail. Anyone can hunt Deer here, without a draw, you basically have to own private land to get unpressured Deer. To hunt state land in the Lower part of Michigan, is a waste of time on Public land. I am very fortunate that my family has a great section of private land to hunt. Keep up the great videos, love to watch them and if you need someone else to video, let me know. Always looking to meet other hunters and make new friends...

-Brian

Great Video and a Very Nice Bull.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom