Hunt Application Question

live2farm

Just wondering if anybody knows if putting in with more than one person on a hunt increases, decreases or doesnt affect your odds of drawing? Hope the question makes sense.

I don't know about the odds, but it sure hasn't helped Me or Mine in the draw process over the years. I've also heard that if you apply with a NR that it would up the chances, that hasn't worked real well either. It's been a looooong time since anybody in my circle has drawn a tag in Idaho so I guess I don't have any answers for ya!!

Thanks for the reply, Yeah my dad and I can't decide if we should put in together on a tag or just put in separate. I guess I just dont understand how the draw process really works. If our odds are decreased by putting in together we would rather just put in separate so maybe at least one of us can draw. It doesnt make sense that our odds would be increased if there were a couple of us on the same tag.

Here is my understanding of it:

If you put in by yourself... its one application.
If you put in with another person...its still one application just two people on it.

So your odds don't change. But if there are only 40 tags for that hunt and 39 of them have been drawn already... Then your application is drawn with 2 hunters, what happens? I would think they toss both of you out and draw another single.

I've heard the NR thing helps your odds as well, but not sure if there is any truth to it.
I personally think having a woman on your party hunt increases your odds. I know a lady who drew an elk super tag and a 5 tag rifle elk hunt in the same year, and the best rifle deer hunt in the state the year before that.

Good luck

I agree, get a Women in the draw with you. F&G says it doesn't help but the Women I know get drawn more often than the guys.

I've drawn one tag in my entire life in Idaho, I don't even hope anymore.

LAST EDITED ON May-01-11 AT 04:29PM (MST)[p] Women don't help.... party apps doesn't help, tarot cards don't help, putting in early, or late doesn't help, drawn ALL of my trophy hunt tags as a single applicant, and trying the above referenced has not helped one bit.... kidding on tarot cards..... as i have not draw when trying out those theories..... but it is fun to be superstitous. Random draw is exactly that. Causation and Correlation are two different things...... but I do have my suspicions on how a few people can get so lucky to draw supertags more than once.

Has anyone seen my kittie?

8020scott_ralphie.jpg

TwoRivers, I agree with you 100%. It can be frustrating when you apply for 20 years and don't draw a hunt, and then your friends girlfriend draws a hunt the first years she puts in. But that what random is...random. I drew 41 antelope twice on back to back years a while back, and talked to a guy who had been applying for 20 years and finally got it. I got dip$hit lucky, but as far as I know F&G doesn't love me so much that they handpicked me to draw it twice... With that said, I GUARANTEE you that some of those superhunts are handpicked. If I recall correctly, the ad in the regulations talks about the guy that applied for 1 supertag two seasons and drew it both times. Bull$hit. The odds of that happening are .00001%. It's an attempt to make the average sportsman feel like they can spend $20 and have a good chance at getting a tag, while there are guys out there spending $10000 on supertags and have 500 times better odds than the average hunter. An attempt to cover the fact that F&G is pimping tags to the highest bidders w/o actually auctioning the tags.

Anyways... to the original question, I believe your odds are the same either way. A single applicant gets one pull out of the hat, and a party app gets one pull out of the hat, regardless of the number of people on the app.

As was stated the draws in Idaho are random. No points. Mathmatically you are no more likely to draw as a party as any other individual. But, if you put in seperately there are better odds that one of the party will get drawn.

Makes sense, we really just hope someone in the group draws so we probably had better put in separate. It would be nice if we all drew but I dont mind going out and looking for a nice buck even if I'm not the one pulling the trigger and someone else is.

It must be truly random........I have been putting in for deer, elk, and antelope for more than 13 years and have yet to draw a single one. For those of you that dont want a point system, how can you defend that? My odds of drawing either the deer or antelope tag are about 1 in 5. So whose the s o b getting so lucky?????

I will tell you jetsled! I put in quite a few times for once-in-a-lifetime and no luck. Then I won a tag last year first time and extremely low odds. It's random. Keep applying Dude...

Also if you put in with a NR you are allocated for the
10% NR tags that are available to them.The only good thing
about putting in as a group is that if one guy draws then
you know you all drew.

inlaws draw every year possible on party apps alternating between deer and elk mainly. it doesn't matter how hard or easy the draw is they win. so i believe for the superstitous that you need a don't matter don't care attitude and then you'll draw. desperateness equals no tag. i personally enjoy the general archery and try putting in for antelope this year.

To answer someones earlier question about if there is 49 apps already drawn with 1 tag left. If you have 2 or more on your app with only one tag then the app is dropped and moves on to the next app with only one person.

IB

I think when it used to be a physical drawing the public was invited. Now I believe its done electronically and I don't think the public is invited. I think thats also why the same guys used to draw the super tags year after year when it was a phyiscal drawing. They would pour thousands of dollars into applications and their name would be in the hat so many times that they would often get draw multiple times after their initial draw.

Someone mentioned earlier that they thought the super tag drawing was rigged because these same guys always get the tag. I don't believe that and I actually heard a story about a guy last year that spent $3000 in apps and still didn't get drawn. With the old system he might have but with electronic draw it didn't happen.

My son drew "3" super tags in two years. Total number of apps put in to draw those three were 13. Nothing special or magical. His older brother had the same number and never drew and I have spent much more and have never drawn. Some tims the sun just shines on you. Too many people on here are conspiracy theorists.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom