Hunters Safety Course-10yr olds

kicker

Well my son had his field day today and I hope with this post you can avoid the nightmare we went through. I don't mean to be critical of the instructors as I know that they are volunteers. BUT if you have a 10 year old that has yet to complete his/her field day you will want to prepare them for a few things. You need to spend some time in the field with a mock gun and practice shooting zones when bird hunting, hand position when carrying the gun and they need to be prepared at every obsticle crossing to verbally say "my safety is on, my action is open, my bullet is in my pocket" and then as they hand the gun to their partner say "Do you have my gun?" Practice that a few hundred times and save your kid's some ridicule. Also because they will be shorter than the other older students they will continually be told to hold their gun higher so that they don't point it near the taller students.

Also when they do their actual shooting make sure that they are prepared to load a bolt action single shot .22 rifle. Get that safety put on and keep that finger out of the trigger area until they are aimed at the target. My son had never shot a gun like that before and was not familiar with it and they offered no help...just kept getting after him until he was completely flustered. They would not let me help him leading to more frustration. I'm slightly annoyed at how they just throw these 10 year old kids into a situation they are not familiar with and instead of taking the time to help educate them they just keep repeating what they did wrong. I just wanted to pass this along to any parents with upcoming field days. My son did pass but got very discouraged. So help your kids with these things and save them some frustration.

Kicker,
Sorry to hear about your son's negative experience. I have been an instructor in Kalifornia for several years and plan on getting involved in Idaho's program in a few months. I am not familiar with Idaho's training requirements but find it difficult to comprehend why they would not help your son out. The object is to TEACH them the basics. As you know the real learning is done hunting with their mentors (You, Grandpa, etc).
I always suggest that when taking a "new" hunter out the first few times leaving your firearm at home until you are satisfied with their safety practices. The excitement of a bird flushing or that buck stepping out sometimes gets the better of even experienced hunters, not just the newbie. Make those first few trips about them.
Get him out, be safe and have a great time making memories!

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my confidence. I fear none and respect all."

Norkal I totally agree. It's never going to be about killing something with us. It's going to be about having a good time together on outdoor adventures. Our first hunts will be turkey hunts in a blind with me sitting right beside him. So it will all be very controled. We won't be hunting flushed game birds for awhile until he builds some confidence in handling his gun and just overall experience.

Glad to hear you will be helping out in Idaho. We need you.

Kicker

sounds like the instructors i hope my daughter gets this week. no excuse for poor gun handling and or safety . kids get to many free passes and ego boosts. a little failure isn't allways a bad thing. i am sorry your experiance wasn't what you expected though and will give my daughter a heads up !..........bd

Yeah I thought someone might take it that way. It wasn't about poor gun handling...he stayed in his zones...he never lost track of his barrel direction and he never put himself or anyone else in danger. He didn't fail and he is the most responsible big hearted 10 year old you will ever meet. Just irritated me that they didn't spend 1 second with these kids teaching them about the actual guns they would be using. To me that is what a hunters safety course is all about. Would have liked to see a few minutes dedicated to that and less on endangered rabbits.

Kicker

>sounds like the instructors i hope
>my daughter gets this week.
>no excuse for poor gun
>handling and or safety .
>kids get to many free
>passes and ego boosts. a
>little failure isn't allways a
>bad thing. i am sorry
>your experiance wasn't what you
>expected though and will give
>my daughter a heads up
>!..........bd

Since when are you MR. SAFETY, clay-tis? (accent intentional)
I thought I was a girl for jumping out of the redneck's reticle back in October.

Some people just want to watch the world burn! Matt you make me laugh

>Some people just want to watch
>the world burn! Matt you
>make me laugh

I'm glad someone thinks I'm comical haha

My 10 year old son went through the field day in Idaho FAlls last fall. We did not have the same experience. They shot air rifles not 22's but it was a well run deal and they seemed to offer additional help to the kids that needed it. Thanks to those that volunteer.

I definitely don't want to give the impression that I am against any of the volunteers. I just wanted to spread the word as to what the kid's should be prepared to do.

I'm over it and my son is too. We have been doing some shooting with his new 20 gauge and he is all fired up to get his first two turkeys.

Kicker

Kicker,
Sorry to hear that. Teaching is the key as a Dad and grandfather I make it fun and just keep directing them and I always follow behind to point out things they have to watch. Never critizing them. My son carried a unloaded rifle bear hunting with me. Kids will learn fast if you show them and not yell or criticise them. My kids have learned very fast as they watch me handle them. Bunch whenever I hunt with Beginners I always point them in the direction to go and I follow. Everyone I have been with have never been offended by pointing things out.
I have my son's Best friend she is going threw hunter saftey this week and Saturday I am going to go out with her for her field day. She is 20 and never has hunted but has shot guns. I told her for this year I will take her on everything she wants to hunt. She is stoked over this spring bear hunt. Her BF gave me permission as he did not know how much I hunt. So she is hunting everything.
But I will let her know and give her a heads up to be aware of the things she has learned in class.
Good luck to your son Kicker.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom