Hunting etiquette

superbadd

So this year was my second year hunting the archery elk hunt. Didn't harvest last year and haven't harvested this year (yet). Both times have been a blast and have hiked in to some amazingly beautiful country. Elk would have just been the icing on the cake.

The main reason for my post was around a situation we encountered on one of the hunts. One morning we were heading up to an area that our group had been hunting for two weeks. On the way up the trail we saw another vehicle parked lower on the trail. As we made our way up the trail we saw a hunter that flashed his light back to us to make us aware that they were there. As we passed the hunter they gave a scowl as if to be really irritated that we were there. We parked a little further up the trail than they did and started getting ready for the morning hunt. We had all intentions of communicating with them and to ensure we didn't step on each others toes on the hunt. The other hunter walked by quickly with a disgusted look again that we were there. There was some small exchange of words and we hunted there but not where they were going.

My question is what is the common hunting etiquette as it relates to this type of situation? (keep in mind, the area is huge and we didn't 'road hunt' the area. We still had to hike in)

Interested in the communities thoughts.

I would have approached the other hunter and explain that we have been hunting this area for two weeks, but you respect their rights to hunt it also. Have to keep in mind it is public and they got there first that morning.
I would have asked what part of it that they plan to hunt so your group could hunt a different part and not interfer with their hunt.

Doing that should have cooled feelings and both groups hunting a different section. There is also the chance that one group may bump into elk and even spook some elk into the other group.

If the other hunter was not pleased with your offer, screw him go hunt where you want.

RELH

You need to leave WAY earlier in the morning!
That way nobody passes anybody on the way in,but everybody still invades the place!
That way you all can hash it out on top at the hot spot!
You know,load the FlashLights,leave at 1:00 A.M. & Spook every damn thing on the way in & nobody gets anything!

Or you could go Huntin with LittleRedFeather?

Ive ran into that basic situation numberous times. Few things I always remember. If its public lands, everyone has the right to be there. Respect others as you want to be respected. I agree with above, approach them and if they where first ahead of you ask them about where they plan to hunt and offer to go elsewhere not to screw up each others hunts. And vis versa Works good most of the time.

+1 beech 18. but if that' dont work have elkassassin bring his spot light , and hunt all night' that will teach them for trying to get your spot..

Just because you've been hunting it for 2 Weeks you don't own it anymore than he does. Just because he was there first he doesn't own it more than you do.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

>+1 beech 18. but if that'
>dont work have elkassassin bring
>his spot light , and
>hunt all night' that will
>teach them for trying to
>get your spot..

Damn it elkun!
I told you not to say anything about my Spotlight!
JUDAS!

You just gotta love hunting public land ! turns it into more of a competition than an outdoor experience ! what a bummer ! unless a guy loads up his pack and heads miles into the back country this is going to be the norm !

Communicating is always the better option.

I had a situation that really pissed me off last week after a harsh and very early hike working into a herd undetected...very early in the morning. It was finally shooting light when suddenly they bolted. I had no idea what went wrong until I heard two guys without any tags up on the ridgetop...clearly upwind of the herd and the vocal bull. They pushed the bull down the hill I worked up, past me and up to their buddy on an adjacent mountain. They were then guiding their buddy to the bull via radio. Rest assured, that was a "small exchange of words" as well.

Had they been hunting themselves and mistupidly walked upwing of a vocal and obvious herd of elk, I wouldn't have been upset at all. That's public land.

If it's public land there is no need for communication, explanation or apologies. Everyone has a RIGHT to be there. I've had guys ##### at me a couple times out in the hills I just tell them that as a Mormon I believe in the laying on of hands, and I've been known to throw in a foot or two when necessary.
Wes

It seems to be that hunting can bring out the worst in people. I agree with others. Talk to each other so you can work together, but both parties need to understand that it is public land.

A few years back my dad and I had gone to an area around noon. Like most years we weren't the only ones there (no problem, plenty of area there). Anyway, after we got to our spot the other hunter approached. It was someone we knew so as he got close we gave a friendly hello. He wasted no time starting to yell and cuss claiming his party was there first, etc., etc. Lost a lot of respect for that guy that day.

Just because you have hunted for the last two weeks doesn't give you any rights. I believe that the first one should have to right of way. If I see someone ahead of me I go elsewhere. Besides after hunting it for 2 weeks with nothing (I assume) I would try somewhere else.

elkassasslin.sorry about telingl about the spot light. but nothing pisses me off more. than some one that dont know how to get to my spot beating me to it...

We were hunting the Snowy Range one time and as we were headed up the trail in the dark, some clown starts flashing his light like he owns the place. I walked by, but my buddy said you need some new batteries. The other guy never said anything. Which ever end yer on, if yer gonna hunt public, deal with it...

>We were hunting the Snowy Range
>one time and as we
>were headed up the trail
>in the dark, some clown
>starts flashing his light like
>he owns the place.
>I walked by, but my
>buddy said you need some
>new batteries. The other
>guy never said anything.
>Which ever end yer on,
>if yer gonna hunt public,
>deal with it...

Gawd, I am glad I don't have to put up with this crap where I hunt. Rude, inconsiderate, and ignorant. Please stay in the Snowy Range.

triple-bb, i dont know what sorry azz losser taught you how to hunt,what a joke you are, your buddy damm lucky hes still not trying to get those batties out of his azz...

What is the consensus on this? Let me start by saying this happened in Wyoming a few years back on the opening of rifle deer. I had a guy flash his headlights at me as we drove up to a starting location. He came over to our truck and asked if we saw his lights. We said yes. He then said it was his spot and asked us to move on. He said he had been hunting deer in the area the entire archery season. When we told him we also had been hunting deer in the area for the archery season he demanded to know where the deer were at. He said we could answer the question if we had been hunting the area. I just laughed and rolled up the window. To me public land is public land. I will try and coordinate with other hunters but will not stay out of an area just because somebody else is there. In this instance, the guy wanted to hunt the first valley (500 yards away) and we were only interested in the valley that was two miles south. He thought we should stay out of the area on opening day so he could get first shot. Like I said we were planning and ended up hunting two miles south of him. We didn't disturb any deer. To me, the flashing of the light thing does not make sense?

I have never had any issues with this, we hunted a few spots with other hunters this year and just discussed where everyone was headed and we made sure we were out of the way. Hunting does bring out the bad though.

C_c I think you're right.
It can bring out the bad in some people but I've also seen it bring out the good. We've had very few problems over the years but the few we've had never escalated to any more than a couple words. It's not worth the head-ache for me. In the mountains I'll move on just to get away from someone who's negative.
Best,
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-12 AT 05:26PM (MST)[p]2 years ago I was heading to an public area that is fairly well known around here. It's a HUGE area but one trail to access it. When I got there two guys were headed up the trail. No problem, I'll head up the trail and if I run into them I'll go the opposite direction of them at the top. At the top they headed west so I went east. About 15 minutes later these two guys come running up the trail behind me all in a tizzy fit. He gets right in my face to tell what kind of a $#%@!^% piece of #$%%^ I am for hunting in "his" area. He's yelling out loud right at first light. I calmly stated that I saw him go west so I tried to respect that by going east as he was there first. He said that he was hunting the whole basin that day and that I should leave. I told him that I wasn't leaving but that he could have first pick of which direction he wanted and I would go the opposite. He flipped me off an continued down the path I was originally heading. I turned around to go the opposite direction and before I took a step I saw a 28 inch wide 5x5 out in the open standing broadside at 500 yards. I laid my pack on the ground, laid my rifle over it and crumbled that buck where he stood. The other guy was so angry and in such a hurry to make his point known to me that he had walked right past this buck. the guy hadn't walked 30 steps from me when that buck hit the dirt. Had he been nicer I probably would've let him take it. Karma!

5057co_buck.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-12 AT 08:19AM (MST)[p]Sure - you can come hunting with me! Elkass has me all figured out!

That is public land circus hunting for you. The tards either get mad because you are there too or shoot one out from under you!

A couple of years ago, my buddy's 13 year old kid was making a great attempt on his first buck - a 30 incher! He missed the first few shots, (he was 13 - what do you expect??) and was getting re-positioned and reloaded for the next round when some guy, who had been watching all this unfold down the ridge from us, goes and blasts the thing right out from under the kid! Never seen a kid more devastated in my life. The other dude (older) was happy and high-fiving and celebrating and my buddy's kid was practically sobbing.

Tragedy, but that is public land hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-12 AT 09:38AM (MST)[p]I usually avoid this situation by being the first person at the gate in the morning.

Scenario 1: Someone beat me to the trailhead.
I talk to them and find out which area they plan to hunt, if it is the same area I was headed to then I go somewhere else because they got there first and I would want the same courtesy. If we can park in the same place but hunt different areas then we know about each other and we go to our separate places.

Scenario 2: I notice someone approaching from behind me on the trail.

I stop and wait for them to catch up, I don't flash lights but I will turn mine on and wait for them. Then discuss each others plans. If they were headed to the same area I am then I would ask them not to since I arrived first (if I were in their shows I would concede the area to the other guy), but if they insist on going there anyways then I can't do anything about it.

Either way I'm not going to let it ruin my day, if the other guy won't move on even though I got there first then I will keep hunting if I really wanted to hunt there and I'll deal with the competition. I try to have two back-up plans whenever I go hunting, that way if I see a truck parked in my first choice and I don't want to take the chance that he went to a different area I can move on to my second or third choice.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom