Hunting in WY

I

iowahunter

Me and a few freinds are heading out to Sundance, WY this fall to hunt mulies and whitetails. We will be hunting the Black Hills Natl. Forest. I have a few questions. What is the deer pop. , average rack size, and the shot range. Thanks

It has been a few years since I have hunted the Sundance area. I hunted two private ranches. You will see a good mix of both whitetail and muley in that area. should have a good deer population, but you will have your share of hunters also on public land.
My longest shot in that area was about 125 yards, which is close range for most of Wyoming. this was due to the amount of forest land Vs. open range land. You will be lucky to see a good trophy head on public land, but it does happen on occasion. If you see a decent 4 point, think about taking him, unless you are dead set on a large 4 point or better. when I say 4 point, I am talking about western count, not both sides.

RELH

iowahunter,
I guess I might run into you. My friends and I hunt just across the border in SD but can only draw a tag every other year. We decided to head a few more miles west and see what the hunting is like on the WY side. Very little pressure on the SD side but they don't issue nearly as many tags as WY does. It will be interesting. I expect the quality will be what RELH said as that is what we see in SD. What week are you going? We're going the second week to try and avoid the orange wave the first week.

MNHunter;
do you feel the same as I do about Iowahunter coming on this site for the first time with his question. we take the time to help him out, and he can not find the time to answer back and say thanks, or even to let us know if he got our replys.
It is starting make me wonder if we should trouble ourselfs to answer questions posted by someone on their one and only post on this forum.

RELH

I tend to give a smart a55 answer to people with 1 post asking where to go. See how they take it and them decide wether to help them or not. Something like this "Ive hunted that are for years, we have always done well up there with about 75% success on 197 4/8 bucks for 100% of our party. So I wouldnt shoot anything smaller than that.

I would have said thanks but I havent had time to look at the posts latley. Besides, im only 14. THANKS

iowahunter, welcome to monster muleys. Congratulations on getting to hunt Wyoming at the age of 14. Wyoming has always been one of my dream places to hunt and I've hunted it twice. Once in 1987 and again in 1991 and both times in the Southwest region around Kemmerer. I wish you luck and I hope you get a good one. And don't let these guys on here scare you off. They are actually pretty good guys and know a lot about hunting and quite often will give you a hard time. Sometimes in jest and sometimes just because it is human nature. But all in all they are all mostly good people and eager to help out. fatrooster.

IowaHunter;
thank you for coming back on and saying "thank you" I must admit that for a young lad of 14, you have a good pair of brass ones when it comes to standing up. Most adults would not have bothered to come back on with a answer as you did.
When you are in the sundance area, be sure to take in seeing the "Devils Tower". You will find the people in Sundance down to earth and willing to give you information on good general areas for hunting. Try to talk to the local game warden, and he should be able to give you very good information on good hunting spots so you and your hunting partners will have a good chance of getting your bucks. When there check and see if they have any left over doe tags, they are cheap, and you might get in more shooting and more steaks & chops for the dinner table.
Good luck on your hunt and make this site as your gateway to hunting information and watch out for the punch in the ribs from us old farts.

RELH

One thing you need to consider! I just read an article about the deer near Sundance. Most of them have whirling disease!! You don't want to spread that back in Iowa.
I don't know if I would belive 257tony. I think he has been infected with Wyoming sidewompus syndrome. It is caused from a parisite that bores the brain and causes one leg to grow longer then the other. Not to mention how long his nose has grown.

We want to hear all about your trip if you go. Good Luck
Rut

My momma always used to say, if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. Is there somone holding a gun to yer head making you post a reply. Who cares if he only made a couple of posts...

Triple_BB;

I think you completly missed the point, it really did not concern the amount of posts. It had more to do with having good manners.

RELH

RELH,
Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. I have to admit I was looking for a response as I had asked him a question, but no big deal. I am kinda surprised to learn he's only 14 though.
Good luck to him and his family.

Here's what we got ih the hill's by Sundance this year.
Bob
4418e31c0943d780.jpg

Nice picture BUT once Paul Crawford see's this picture, he will be trying to get your address since you have all of that Bud laying on the floor there. LOL

Brian

There are a lot of hunters but it is a big area. There are a lot off deer, maybe not the biggest but a lot. We hunt muleys in October then go to the hills for whitetails if we didn't get a muley.And the bud was our end of hunting season party.
Bob

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-06 AT 09:20AM (MST)[p]nice deer, were all of the deer shot on public land

good luck young feller..try these tracks...call wyoming game and fish for name of area biologists and talk to that feller for specific suggestions....get as far away from other people as possible...hunt all day as long as you can,,being a whippersnapper know where your huntin buddy is...carry a gps with your camp logged into it...learn how to use a compas..learn how to bone out a deer..fish filet knife cut all the muscles and carry with..place meat in coolers with ice...i am getting far too complicated..theres a lot to learn and you will...sight in your gun 2 inches high at 1oo yards..practice shooting this summer...22 bbgun or deer rifle...as you travel in huntin country be as polite as you can with people you meet..you will be surprised how even in the year 2006 a positive attitude might yield a good place to hunt...carry a daypack...read wayne van zwolls book elk hunting for good all around huntin advice and stay tuned to this board..learn all you can...hunt the hunt...again good luck..happytohunt

>good luck young feller..try these tracks...call
>wyoming game and fish for
>name of area biologists and
>talk to that feller for
>specific suggestions....get as far away
>from other people as possible...hunt
>all day as long as
>you can,,being a whippersnapper know
>where your huntin buddy is...carry
>a gps with your camp
>logged into it...learn how to
>use a compas..learn how to
>bone out a deer..fish filet
>knife cut all the muscles
>and carry with..place meat in
>coolers with ice...i am getting
>far too complicated..theres a lot
>to learn and you will...sight
>in your gun 2 inches
>high at 1oo yards..practice shooting
>this summer...22 bbgun or deer
>rifle...as you travel in huntin
>country be as polite as
>you can with people you
>meet..you will be surprised how
>even in the year 2006
>a positive attitude might yield
>a good place to hunt...carry
>a daypack...read wayne van zwolls
>book elk hunting for good
>all around huntin advice and
>stay tuned to this board..learn
>all you can...hunt the hunt...again
>good luck..happytohunt
oh yeah remember the tenderloins i.e.backstrap tis the meat along the backbone outside and inside,,,yessir

if you opt to bone out your deer make sure you leave only bone..trim meat out tween the ribs and all the way down the shanks..i thought about this and did not want to give unsound advice to a younger hunter...tis again the law to leave any edible meat on the carcass...yep i am jumping the gun but tryin to be helpful...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom