Hunting while it is snowing

jr8fish

General question... I have never been out hunting very much while it has been snowing. The weekend forcast is calling for it so my question is will deer (bucks) stay out feeding while the snow is dumping or will they seek shelter like they do when it is raining?

In my experience deer bed when it rains, I was wondering if they do the same when it snows?

I have hunted after a snow fall, when there is lots on the ground and it is good hunting then, but I dont know about during the storm.

Any first hand experience?

Thanks

I've never done well during a hard storm but during a light snow it can be OK. Just OK though.

The biggest problem I have is based on my prefered style. I like spot and stalk and when it snows I can't see.

When it's snowing I have to resort to still hunting the edges and I've done OK but remember that there's a lot of real estste between deer so a guy might sneak all morning and not see too much.

After a big storm: Perfect!

Just my 2 cents,
Zeke

They will tend to stay out more in the snow then if it was the rain. But they will not generally be out in the open. Look in/for areas where there are secluded pockets in between pines and quakies.

Some of the coolest hunting experiences I have had was during the snow. The snow really muffles sound and obsures sight, so as you are walking around you are on more equal terms with the animals in my opinion.

On one hunt my brother and I got wihin 10 yards of a group of elk and got the spike out them. Then as I hunted more I got within 10 yards of a couple of nice bucks, which were not in season but I sure thought it was cool.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom