I need a bow!!!!!

G

Gunrunner

I just got off a successful G37 Anderson Flat (CA) mule deer hunt and had the opportunity to watch a beautiful 4x4 (after my tag was filled of course) come within 25 yards of a great spot my partner found! Now I understand why you stick and string guys do what you do!!!! I really want to experience that type of hunting as well as extend the season.
So now I need a bow!!!! Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Brand, model, draw weight, sights, releases, arrows, the works????
Thanks
RT

First thing I would do is determine a budget.

Then go from there.

Also sent you a PM.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

You need to go into a pro-shop and have them fit you and shoot some bows to see what you like. Just because one person likes a bow, doesn't mean you will like it. As for draw weight, that is up to you. I would suggest starting out on the lighter side and move up as you develop your skills and good form. A lot of new archers make the mistake of shooting too heavy and their form and accuracy suffer. I hunt with #71's but I have been shooting for 20 years. Some of the better bows out this year in my opinion are:

Hoyt Spider 30,34, or the turbo
Hoyt Carbon Element or Carbon Matrix
Prime- any model but I really like the Impact and the Centroid
Elite- any of them
Mathews- I'm not really a Mathews fan but people like them and they are great quality bows.
Bear- I am shooting the Anarchy and I love it.

If you do get a new bow, do yourself a favor and put a nice set of strings and cables on it. Some of these manufactures but good strings and cables on their bows from the factory but most don't.

Sights:
I love my Spot Hogg sights. They are bullet proof and the pin adjustments are the best I have used on any sight. I hunt with the Tommy Hogg (moveable). I really like Montana Black Gold and CBE also.

Release: I love my Carter Quickie for hunting but this is personal preference. Carter, Scott, and Tru-Ball make excellent hunting releases.

Arrows: You can't go wrong with Easton (Injection, FMJ),Gold Tip or Carbon Express. Make sure you are spined correctly and if you are elk hunting I wouldn't go light (over 400 grains). Once I started shooting heavier arrows I started getting pass-through's on elk which makes tracking a helluva lot easier. :)

Rests: Trophy Taker (the Smackdown is my favorite hunting rest on the market right now), Vapor Trail Limb Driver, QAD, or Ripcord are some of the better hunting rests out in my opinion.

Stabilizer: B-stinger, Fuse, and Doinker make great stabs. Keep in mind on the length you really don't get a stabilizing effect until you get out past 10" or so. The shorter ones quiet things down and dampen vibration. I am shooting a 10" B-stinger sport hunter extreme with a 6" sidebar and love it.

Broadheads: G5, VPA, Slick Trick, Trophy Taker, and Ramcat make really good heads. I use an 1.5" cut expandable for deer (G5 T3) but I would never use an expandable on elk (a lot of people will argue and disagree with me about this). For elk I use Slick Tricks but any of these manufactures put out really good heads and you really can't go wrong with them.

Hope this helps. Welcome to bowhunting! There is no experience comparable to taking game with a well placed arrow. :)

Figure out your limit on what you want to spend then go to a archery shop near you and shoot. Shoot all of them and see which one fits and feels best.

I got my Mathews listed for sale on MM right now! It's a Mathews Z7' 28.5 inch draw length (adjustable) set at 70 lbs (adjustable) and loaded! Check it out and let me know. Kip. 801-472-6555

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom