I need some feedback fast!

Trad Bow 1979

Im in the market for a unit wide archery elk tag. I may get an opprotunity at GMU 5B. What do you guys think of that area? I do not have a lot of time to think on it. Opinions please

agree with nmwapiti been there in late sept been on them but few and far between ive recommend to save your money but if you do take it i can point you to some spots

It is a doable hunt, but by far not the most memorable and can be very frustrationg. Not having a tag sucks but a slow frustrating hunt can be no better... Weigh it out and decide!

Thank you all for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I am very suprised to see the consisyancy in the comments. In 2012 the sucess for the first archery was 33 percent. The one plus I could see is it is close enough to ABQ that scouting is very easy to do. My alternative is OTC in southern Colorado which I can say for myself is very difficult. Dang it! Thank you all again.

82nd,

I've been in your situation before. I wanted to hunt so bad, I applied in 5B because it was 100% draw odds. And this was back when 5B was a way bigger unit. Back then 5B covered all of Mesa De La Vieja. Now the east side of the Chama is part of unit 51. Anyway, I could have saved myself a lot of money and just gone hiking because that's all that hunt amounted to. If I go on a hunt, I don't have to kill for it to be a success. But I do like to at least see animals and blow a few stalks, at least I learn something! For the price of a CO OTC tag and all the gas you are gonna waste, buy a 51 52 or 53 LO tag. They will be plentiful and can be had for $700-900. A CO OTC tag is gonna run you $600 plus trip expenses!

82nd,

If you are not going to pick up that tag can you point me in the direction of who is selling it.
No elk for me two years in a row I need to get out hookah

Infantry all the way!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-14 AT 07:57AM (MST)[p]I was gonna say you can get a NM LO tag for less than going to CO to pay more.
And there are way better units for elk than 5b.

Backcountry in 5B would be the only area I would hunt in 5B.
That steep nasty part is where some of the elk hang out.
Horseback is the ticket to hunting that part of the unit.
It use to be a pretty good unit before they moved the Mesa over to Unit 51, NOW it like a redheaded stepchild.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Ive been already looking for some unit wide tags, people are saying itll take about $2000 just to get a 51 tag. Im just gonna ride it out for a bit and hope some of those prices drop. Id be greatful if you can point me in a direction. Thanks for the response.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom